Thread poster: Mark Harris
Mark Harris
Mark Harris
France
Local time: 07:07
French to English
+ ...
Aug 29, 2019

Can someone please help me out with Trados translation memories? I'm finding the whole thing very confusing. I have a large number of projects that I have completed over the years and I'd like to add the translation files to a translation memory so I will get concordance matches for future translations. I have tried running "update main translation memory" on each of the projects, but this doesn't seem to achieve anything. I'm not sure what the "main translation memory" is or where it is saved. ... See more
Can someone please help me out with Trados translation memories? I'm finding the whole thing very confusing. I have a large number of projects that I have completed over the years and I'd like to add the translation files to a translation memory so I will get concordance matches for future translations. I have tried running "update main translation memory" on each of the projects, but this doesn't seem to achieve anything. I'm not sure what the "main translation memory" is or where it is saved. I also tried manually creating a translation memory, but I'm struggling to figure out how to actually update this translation memory with the translations I have already completed in the past.

Can someone please help before I tear all of my hair out?
Collapse

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.
Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 01:07
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translation Alignment Aug 29, 2019

Hi,

I guess you have to use the Translation Alignment tool, which was previously called WinAling.

Please read this: https://www.sdltrados.com/solutions/translation-alignment/

Good luck!
Patricia

Amnon Shapira
Amnon Shapira  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 09:07
Member (2011)
English to Hebrew
New + Import Aug 30, 2019

Hi Mark,
To solve this problem you need to:
1. create a new empty TM
2. import into that new TM all the relevant Sdlxliff files you want to include.

The new TM can now be used to replace all the old ones

Good luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with translation memories on Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »