Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
How to confirm segment without sending it to the TM?
Thread poster: Guillermo Mendez
Guillermo Mendez
Guillermo Mendez
Spain
Local time: 23:54
English to Spanish
Aug 6, 2019

Hi there,
I'm starting to use SDL Trados Studio (2019) after doing several courses, both from the manufacturer itself and from third parties, and there's a doubt that's always hanging over my head while I'm translating. We all know that pressing CTRL+INTRO confirms the translation and the segment is sent to memory. However, I don't quite understand why they should be simultaneous actions. What's the point of sending segments such as numbers or links to the translation memory, which apparen
... See more
Hi there,
I'm starting to use SDL Trados Studio (2019) after doing several courses, both from the manufacturer itself and from third parties, and there's a doubt that's always hanging over my head while I'm translating. We all know that pressing CTRL+INTRO confirms the translation and the segment is sent to memory. However, I don't quite understand why they should be simultaneous actions. What's the point of sending segments such as numbers or links to the translation memory, which apparently won't give me anything? Is there any way to confirm a segment and not send it to the translation memory?
Thanks,
Guillermo.
Collapse

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 01:54
English to Russian
+ ...
re Aug 7, 2019

Guillermo Mendez wrote:

Hi there,
I'm starting to use SDL Trados Studio (2019) after doing several courses, both from the manufacturer itself and from third parties, and there's a doubt that's always hanging over my head while I'm translating. We all know that pressing CTRL+INTRO confirms the translation and the segment is sent to memory. However, I don't quite understand why they should be simultaneous actions. What's the point of sending segments such as numbers or links to the translation memory, which apparently won't give me anything? Is there any way to confirm a segment and not send it to the translation memory?
Thanks,
Guillermo.

Right mouse button - Change Segment status - Translated

Guillermo Mendez

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Don't overthink Aug 7, 2019

Dear Guillermo,

While mikhailo's solution does the trick, I think you're overthinking this. What harm do those segments do in the TM, as long as they are correct?

Kind regards,
Erik

Jorge Payan

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Do overthink Aug 7, 2019

Erik Freitag wrote:

Dear Guillermo,

While mikhailo's solution does the trick, I think you're overthinking this. What harm do those segments do in the TM, as long as they are correct?

Kind regards,
Erik

Hi Erik,
what about, for example, sentences/paragraphs in another language than your current language combo? Or endless rows of figures?

Best
Wolfgang

Jorge Payan
Zuzana Hessler

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
What about them? Aug 7, 2019

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Erik Freitag wrote:

Dear Guillermo,

Kind regards,
Erik

Hi Erik,
what about, for example, sentences/paragraphs in another language than your current language combo? Or endless rows of figures?

Best
Wolfgang

Indeed, what about them? While you may want to store segment pairs with a different source language in another TM indeed, storing them in your main TM at least does not do any major harm, does it? Neither do figures. Yes, they will slightly increase the size of your TM, but this really shouldn't matter. And imagine you get a similar document again in the future, containing the same sentences in a third language: You'll be happy to have the translation presented from the TM.

As long as you do create a valid translation, it makes absolute sense to always commit it to the TM, imho.

In the very rare cases where you don't want that, mikhailo's suggestion is the way to go.

Adam Warren

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Guillermo Aug 7, 2019

Guillermo Mendez wrote:
We all know that pressing CTRL+ENTER confirms the translation and the segment is sent to memory. ... Is there any way to confirm a segment and not send it to the translation memory?

You could change the keyboard shortcut for "move to next segment" to something more useful (File > Options > Keyboard Shortcuts > Editor), but although that would prevent the segment from being sent to the TM, it does not confirm the segment. Do you really need to confirm the segment immediately? You can also confirm segments afterwards, you know. Simply filter the segments (Review > All Segments > Unconfirmed), then select the segments by using Shift+click on the segment *numbers* (not the segments themselves), and do the right-click thing.

Jorge Payan

Guillermo Mendez
Guillermo Mendez
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Aug 7, 2019

Thanks to all the answers. You're all very kind for taking time to answer my question.
I've been trying different things, and filters do work really well in Trados, so it might work in this case.
I know Trados is designed to send everything to the translation memory; it just looks a little weird to me to keep numbers or other useless expressions in a memory. The alternative might not be worth in terms of balancing time/quality. I guess it's a matter of practice and what suits you bet
... See more
Thanks to all the answers. You're all very kind for taking time to answer my question.
I've been trying different things, and filters do work really well in Trados, so it might work in this case.
I know Trados is designed to send everything to the translation memory; it just looks a little weird to me to keep numbers or other useless expressions in a memory. The alternative might not be worth in terms of balancing time/quality. I guess it's a matter of practice and what suits you better.
Thank you.
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Other CAT tools have shortcuts Aug 7, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

Guillermo Mendez wrote:
We all know that pressing CTRL+ENTER confirms the translation and the segment is sent to memory. ... Is there any way to confirm a segment and not send it to the translation memory?

You could change the keyboard shortcut for "move to next segment" to something more useful (File > Options > Keyboard Shortcuts > Editor), but although that would prevent the segment from being sent to the TM, it does not confirm the segment. Do you really need to confirm the segment immediately? You can also confirm segments afterwards, you know. Simply filter the segments (Review > All Segments > Unconfirmed), then select the segments by using Shift+click on the segment *numbers* (not the segments themselves), and do the right-click thing.

Why do MemoQ/Cafetran/DVX/WFP5 have a shortcut for not writing unwanted segments to the TM and Studio does not?

Zuzana Hessler

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Down arrow Aug 7, 2019

You could say that simply pressing the down arrow will achieve this in SDL Studio: This will simply go to the next segment without committing the translation to the TM (albeit without confirming the segment).

I really don't know why other CAT tools offer a special shortcut for this. The question is: Is there really a need for confirming a segment and at the same time not writing it to the TM? I can't really see it, but if there is, mikhailo has provided a viable solution in Studio.

Jorge Payan

Carlos Teran
Carlos Teran  Identity Verified
Bolivia
Local time: 18:54
Member (2018)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Commiting to a TM unwanted segments. Aug 7, 2019

This was a great thread for me too! As I was having the same doubts. When you quote book titles and references, you'll want to leave them in the original language. I was not sure to commit them to a TM or not, as well with numbers.
I guess it depends on one's preferences.
Thank you all very much!

Guillermo Mendez

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:54
French to English
+ ...
Change segment status Aug 8, 2019

I use a very handy free app called Segment Status Switcher. If, for example, I have segments in other languages, 99% matches, addresses, names, etc. that I don't want in my TM, I apply the Signed Off status, for which I defined a shortcut. If you apply simply the Translated status, if you later review your file, you will have to do this all over again.
I use this function every day.
HTH,
Sandra

Guillermo Mendez
Guillermo Mendez
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Segment Status Switcher Aug 8, 2019

Thank you very much, Sandra, for that. Looks pretty cool, I’ll check it out.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
AHK solution Aug 8, 2019

Erik Freitag wrote:
Is there really a need for confirming a segment and at the same time not writing it to the TM?

Definitely, there is. I always start my work with confirming and locking all untranslatable stuff like numbers, dates, serial / tag id numbers, regular expressions etc. I only need them confirmed but not written in TM.

Hi Guillermo,
In addition to other valuable hints here, and just in case you use the AutoHotKey appllication, you may want to create this script:
================
#IfWinActive, ahk_exe SDLTradosStudio.exe
F12::
SendInput, {Alt}hut
#IfWinActive
Return
================
When this script is running, you can press F12 to confirm a segment without sending it to TM.

Guillermo Mendez

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
If you want it, there's a need Aug 8, 2019

Stepan Konev wrote:

Erik Freitag wrote:
Is there really a need for confirming a segment and at the same time not writing it to the TM?

Definitely, there is. I always start my work with confirming and locking all untranslatable stuff like numbers, dates, serial / tag id numbers, regular expressions etc. I only need them confirmed but not written in TM.

I agree, if you want to do this, there's a need for this. Still, I don't quite get why you think these extra steps are worth your while. Is it for fear of getting to big a TM? What harm does it do if your TM contains a segment pair with a correct source and target that will be inserted automatically as a 100% match?

I'm genuinely interested. Maybe I should change my process as well.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Garbage Aug 8, 2019

For example, you have segments like these:
Segment 1: 12 х 33mm
Segment 2: 11 х 341mm
Segment 3: 120 х 7890mm
Segment 2000: 20 х 78mm

Trados will never suggest a correct next translation, once having translated the first instance, into Russian because there must be a non-breakable space between the number and the unit of measurement in Russian. Therefore, the value of those segments [for TM/Concordance purposes] is zero. You will have to correct
... See more
For example, you have segments like these:
Segment 1: 12 х 33mm
Segment 2: 11 х 341mm
Segment 3: 120 х 7890mm
Segment 2000: 20 х 78mm

Trados will never suggest a correct next translation, once having translated the first instance, into Russian because there must be a non-breakable space between the number and the unit of measurement in Russian. Therefore, the value of those segments [for TM/Concordance purposes] is zero. You will have to correct 2000 segments by hand. Replacing English 'mm' with Russian ' мм' will be more efficient in this case.
And, as far as the TM value is null, adding such segments means just wasting TM entries. Do you know, by the way, that GroupShare TMs are limited in number of TUs. That is adding useless entries means extra useless costs for SDL clients. But even if you are just a freelance translator, hardly you need clogging your TM with information you cannot re-use.

In addition to the above-mentioned units of measurement, there may be partially translated or even mixed slashed (source/target) segments that you need just copy and paste without storing (becasue of their useless nature again).

Another example: dates like 09-Aug-2019 (must be 09.08.2019 in Russian). When you work with project schedule translations you may have hundreds of such dates. Here again it would be much easier to replace -Mon- 12 times than confirm each next instance.

[Edited at 2019-08-08 23:01 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to confirm segment without sending it to the TM?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »