Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 07:33
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
May 10, 2019

I have a few times experienced that Studio suddenly closes without any apparent reason (I probably unintentionally hit a key combination which results in this). When I open the project again, nothing of the work I've done since I last opened the project, is apparent in the project.

I have checked, and Enable autosave is ticked in the options.

Of course, my work isn't all lost, since it's saved to the TM, and I then can to a ctr+T to have the current contents replaced by
... See more
I have a few times experienced that Studio suddenly closes without any apparent reason (I probably unintentionally hit a key combination which results in this). When I open the project again, nothing of the work I've done since I last opened the project, is apparent in the project.

I have checked, and Enable autosave is ticked in the options.

Of course, my work isn't all lost, since it's saved to the TM, and I then can to a ctr+T to have the current contents replaced by the most recent contents in the TM, but it means that if I've worked for instance 2 hours and this suddenly appears, I get an extra 1/2 hour to get back the work I've done. This is frustrating, and is part of the reason I much prefer Dejavu over Studio, since I don't lose any work at all - except if a major crash should happen of some sort, of course.

I can, of course, close the Editor window from time to time to ensure that the contents are saved, but is there something smarter I can do? As it is, there seems to be a bug, since the autosave doesn't seem to work as expected. (I take it the autosave is supposed to save the project file and doesn't mean that each segment is sent to the TM when I leave it, which is a different matter.)

Roy
Collapse

Monique Müller
Monique Müller  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
Crtl + S May 10, 2019

Hi Roy,

I very often press Ctrl + S to save whatever the trados program or other program.
It has become a reflex !
Monique

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ctr + s - I'll try to remember that May 10, 2019

Abel-trans wrote:
Hi Roy,
I very often press Ctrl + S to save whatever the trados program or other program.
It has become a reflex !
Monique

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I am so used to automatic saving in the different programs, even Word, so I never use that. I would have expected Studio to be better than that, though. Dejavu manages to save the project each time one leaves a segment without the user having to be concerned about it. But at least this is much better than having to leave the whole project.

Roy

Zhai Kebing
Zhai Kebing  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:33
English to Chinese
+ ...
About saving and automatic saving Mar 4, 2023

https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/46072/two-essential-improvement-suggestions/149041

In the Editor interface, there are no application scenarios where the project files do not need to be saved. From the user's point of view, what the user wants, is
... See more
https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/46072/two-essential-improvement-suggestions/149041

In the Editor interface, there are no application scenarios where the project files do not need to be saved. From the user's point of view, what the user wants, is that the project files are saved automatically. Therefore, the existing Save Document should be understood as manual saving, and AutoSave should be treated as manual saving at set intervals. Did you know that the current AutoSave does not actually save the project files, but saves them as temporary files in the system folder, which will only work in the event of an unexpected power failure or program crash. When you understand this, how should you handle AutoSave?
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:33
English to Russian
Why autosave in intervals can be better than saving each keystroke Mar 5, 2023

Zhai Kebing wrote:
From the user's point of view, what the user wants, is that the project files are saved automatically.
Not always. There are scenarios when you don't need that.
For example you run the 'Replace all' operation or merge segments. Then you translate 150 segments and suddenly understand that your decision to batch replace or merge some segments was wrong. You need to undo it. With memoQ that saves every single keystroke, you will be able to press Undo only 20 times as a maximum. You can't restore the document to the point where you did the wrong step (150+ undos). With Trados, you can simply close the file without saving and re-open it in (1) a state before you did any changes or (2) load the autosaved file. Even in case (2) the re-opened file may be reinstated to the point before your wrong step (provided that it was not autosaved after that step). In case (1) the file will be reinstated for sure.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2019: Automatic save doesn't work

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »