Annett Roessner
Annett Roessner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 02:30
Member (2017)
English to German
May 8, 2019

Hi all,

do you know by any chance if I can work on Wordfast files/packages in SDL Studio 2017 or 2019, i.e. an agency specifies I use Wordfast Pro but I don't have this CAT-tool but still want to work for them.

Many thanks.

Best regards,

Annett

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Annett May 8, 2019

Annett Roessner wrote:
Do you know by any chance if I can work on Wordfast files/packages in SDL Studio 2017 or 2019?

WFP5's GLP files are zip files, so you can unzip them using e.g. 7-zip, and then simply translate the TXLF file in Trados.

You have to tell Trados how to deal with TXLF files, though:
https://www.technolex-translations.com/blog/how-to-translate-txlf-wordfast-files-in-trados-studio/

I've never had to return a return package to a WFP5 client and I'm not even sure if there is such a thing as a WFP5 return package -- I've always just returned the translated TXLF files.

It is my understanding that opening a GLP file in WFP5 may also download additional resources, e.g. TMs and glossaries, or at least connect to them automatically, which Trados obviously won't do.

Andriy Yasharov

Annett Roessner
Annett Roessner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 02:30
Member (2017)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Many thank, Samuel. May 8, 2019

This was super helpful.

Best regards

Annett

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast files/packages in SDL Studio 2017 and 2019

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »