https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/330065-sdl_studio_very_slow_at_certain_batch_tasks.html

SDL Studio very slow at certain Batch-Tasks
Thread poster: Christian Schmidt
Oct 30, 2018

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Studio 2019, so I don't know what is 'normal' and what is not. I just noticed that certain tasks take forever.
Let's say I have a project file with about ~880 Segments, which contain mostly single words, or maybe 2-3 sentences. (so, pretty little text, actually).

Currently I'm trying to pre-translate the described file with my own TM (880 TU's) and the European Union TM's (which contain actually quite a lot of TU's, one had about 330.000,
... See more
Hello,

I'm fairly new to Studio 2019, so I don't know what is 'normal' and what is not. I just noticed that certain tasks take forever.
Let's say I have a project file with about ~880 Segments, which contain mostly single words, or maybe 2-3 sentences. (so, pretty little text, actually).

Currently I'm trying to pre-translate the described file with my own TM (880 TU's) and the European Union TM's (which contain actually quite a lot of TU's, one had about 330.000, but not all of them have quite that much). It currently stucks at 33% and I started the task about 40 minutes ago.

Then I wanted to create the "translation model" for one of the EU TM's, which has about 330.000 TU's. It currently sits at 15% and I also started it 40 minutes ago. (it very slowly moves onwards).

Is this something that is normal? Am I missing something? Even with a single TM with about 800 TU's (and no upLIFT Fragmentation) it takes a considerable amount of time to pre-translate.

I rather ask for experiences here, if others deal with similar issues. Not directly asking for a solution here.

Thanks.
Collapse

Ian Wood
Rwand Alagha
Mariana_Rios

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 21:12
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Try to clean up your pc Oct 30, 2018

Your description is not standard as far as I can understand.

I would try a few things:
- Check if there are some programs running in the background and close them.
- There should be possible to see what programs eat up most of the CPU on the computer (I regrettably don't remember how to do this since it's quite a few years ago I did this myself)
- You may want to run Cleaner and have it clean up unnecessary files on the harddisk and also check your registry.
... See more
Your description is not standard as far as I can understand.

I would try a few things:
- Check if there are some programs running in the background and close them.
- There should be possible to see what programs eat up most of the CPU on the computer (I regrettably don't remember how to do this since it's quite a few years ago I did this myself)
- You may want to run Cleaner and have it clean up unnecessary files on the harddisk and also check your registry.

It may be you have got an unwanted program on your machine. Do a scan - I cannot here and now give you an advice of the best program to do this. But at least a thorough virus scan would be in order.

In short, I doubt if it's Studio itself that is the culprit, but I may be wrong, of course.

Roy
Collapse

Ian Wood
Ian Wood  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:12
Japanese to English
+ ...
Similar experience Nov 1, 2018

Since moving to 2019, I have had a serious slowdown in performance not only in batch tasks, but also between segments on certain projects. The one I am working on at the moment takes about 20-30 seconds just to move to the next segment and then up to a minute to finish the TM search. It seems to be maxing out one CPU core, so that seems to be the issue, so I assume it is related to some of the new functions like fragment match.

I really wish they would make it multithreaded if they
... See more
Since moving to 2019, I have had a serious slowdown in performance not only in batch tasks, but also between segments on certain projects. The one I am working on at the moment takes about 20-30 seconds just to move to the next segment and then up to a minute to finish the TM search. It seems to be maxing out one CPU core, so that seems to be the issue, so I assume it is related to some of the new functions like fragment match.

I really wish they would make it multithreaded if they are going to add CPU-intensive functions. Unless this gets fixed in a service pack, 2019 will probably be my last version of Trados because this is driving me insane.

BTW, my PC is oldish but quite decent:
i5 2500K overclocked to 4.2GHz
16GB DDR3 RAM (1600MHz)
Samsung evo 860 SSD

It really shouldn't be this slow, and it is not with all files so I am not sure what is causing it. I think Auto-alignment may be the culprit but only in part because performance is still pretty slow with it turned off.

[Edited at 2018-11-01 15:35 GMT]
Collapse

Anthony Teixeira
Anthony Teixeira
Japan
Local time: 04:12
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Same here Dec 4, 2018

Project creation was always fast enough with Studio 2017, but it is taking forever now, despite disabling all options that could possibly get on the way. That's extremely annoying.

I would gladly reinstall the old version if only Studio 2019 let me.

Spamalot
Spamalot
Austria
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Me, too sorry to say Mar 6, 2019

Hi,
I have been searching for an answer to why Trados 2019 is so slow -- and, no, it is not because my PC needs cleaning -- I have a hypothesis that it might be one of the Service Packs that has done this. It is beginning to drive me crazy. When I type into the next segment the letters don't show up right away and when they do they are ALL CAPS. Whatever batch task takes forever. E.g. I just tried to replace a 1k word file for an updated version in a 2-file project of in total 2k words an
... See more
Hi,
I have been searching for an answer to why Trados 2019 is so slow -- and, no, it is not because my PC needs cleaning -- I have a hypothesis that it might be one of the Service Packs that has done this. It is beginning to drive me crazy. When I type into the next segment the letters don't show up right away and when they do they are ALL CAPS. Whatever batch task takes forever. E.g. I just tried to replace a 1k word file for an updated version in a 2-file project of in total 2k words and it took almost 10 minutes.
Does anyone have an answer why the program is doing it because it is the program and nobody's PC.
Thanks for any info!
Spamalot
Collapse

Catarina Lopes
Catarina Lopes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:12
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same here... Apr 14, 2019

I have the same problem with Studio 2019 and it's driving me nuts! Project creation, segment propagation and other processes are incredibly slow. I can type a whole sentence much faster than Trados can show fuzzy matches results for that segment. I tried several suggestions I found online, including deactivating my antivirus software, disabling spellchecker and other options, etc, but nothing seems to work. I only wish my main clients didn't work with this tool, or I would have tried an alternat... See more
I have the same problem with Studio 2019 and it's driving me nuts! Project creation, segment propagation and other processes are incredibly slow. I can type a whole sentence much faster than Trados can show fuzzy matches results for that segment. I tried several suggestions I found online, including deactivating my antivirus software, disabling spellchecker and other options, etc, but nothing seems to work. I only wish my main clients didn't work with this tool, or I would have tried an alternative long ago.

Forgot to mention that it also crashes quite frequently!

[Edited at 2019-04-14 14:40 GMT]
Collapse

Mariana_Rios

Frank van 't Veer
Frank van 't Veer  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Terminology verification (in batch and during translation) very slow Apr 18, 2019

I am experiencing a very slow working Studio 2019 as well. Especially terminology recognition and searches in the TM (translation results) take forever. When using the batch tasks I split up between QA check and terminology verifier, because terminology verification takes forever. I am currently working on a terminology verification of less than 4,000 words and that took about 20 minutes!

Dorte Fjalland

Marc-Olivier Duc
Marc-Olivier Duc
France
English to French
+ ...
Not just Studio 2019... May 13, 2019

Hi all,
I have had a similar problem after doing a full system reinstall/cleanup on my Mac (running Studio under Windows via Parallels), and installing the latest version of Studio 2017 (SR1). Propagation, TM check, etc. take a few seconds between every segment, despite working on a small TM, with a project located in a local directory, which adds up to a lot of time lost.
I even removed both Studio and Multiterm, and reinstalled the older (archived) versions from SDL, but the proble
... See more
Hi all,
I have had a similar problem after doing a full system reinstall/cleanup on my Mac (running Studio under Windows via Parallels), and installing the latest version of Studio 2017 (SR1). Propagation, TM check, etc. take a few seconds between every segment, despite working on a small TM, with a project located in a local directory, which adds up to a lot of time lost.
I even removed both Studio and Multiterm, and reinstalled the older (archived) versions from SDL, but the problem remains the same.
The only way I managed to achieve normal speed between segments was to remove the TMs from the project, which really goes against the purpose of the software, but at least it shows that the lookup feature is not working properly.
I have seen many people complaining about this, and SDL coming up with pretend fixes such as the suggestion to disable antivirus (thus exposing users to viruses, brilliant!), add-ins, etc. and from everything that people affected have tried, the problem has to come from a glitch in their batch updates. If they can't replicate the problem in their own system, they seem to discard the issue as not being theirs to resolve, meaning users are just stuck with an expensive piece of software that impedes productivity.
If it continues like this, as many have already said, the next software purchase will be for one of their competitors...
Hopefully they will react when they see the high number of discontented users.

[Edited at 2019-05-13 13:14 GMT]
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Reference sample May 13, 2019

Did you try cleaning the system log, rebooting, and checking the warnings/error events? What the entries read after running the software?

Besides hardware specs, modern bulky CAT suits heavily rely on third-party software such as Java, .NET Framework, SQL, certain VB/CPP libraries, MS Office, and so on, having conflicts with other versions and software pieces/leftovers too.

Unlike ever bloating W10, in W7/W8.1 closing some background apps, wisely!
... See more
Did you try cleaning the system log, rebooting, and checking the warnings/error events? What the entries read after running the software?

Besides hardware specs, modern bulky CAT suits heavily rely on third-party software such as Java, .NET Framework, SQL, certain VB/CPP libraries, MS Office, and so on, having conflicts with other versions and software pieces/leftovers too.

Unlike ever bloating W10, in W7/W8.1 closing some background apps, wisely! disabling system services and making relevant tweaks does improve the performance.

While updating the drivers and maintaining the hardware counts too, sometimes it's high time to consider better options--other apps.
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Try... May 14, 2019

disabling "Match Repair" and see if it makes any difference...

G

Marc-Olivier Duc wrote:

Hi all,
I even removed both Studio and Multiterm, and reinstalled the older (archived) versions from SDL, but the problem remains the same.
The only way I managed to achieve normal speed between segments was to remove the TMs from the project, which really goes against the purpose of the software, but at least it shows that the lookup feature is not working properly.
I have seen many people complaining about this, and SDL coming up with pretend fixes such as the suggestion to disable antivirus (thus exposing users to viruses, brilliant!), add-ins, etc. and from everything that people affected have tried, the problem has to come from a glitch in their batch updates. If they can't replicate the problem in their own system, they seem to discard the issue as not being theirs to resolve, meaning users are just stuck with an expensive piece of software that impedes productivity.
If it continues like this, as many have already said, the next software purchase will be for one of their competitors...
Hopefully they will react when they see the high number of discontented users.

[Edited at 2019-05-13 13:14 GMT]

Jo Macdonald

Marc-Olivier Duc
Marc-Olivier Duc
France
English to French
+ ...
* Update on previous reply * May 16, 2019

I got so tired with the excruciatingly slow transition between segments that I removed my Windows virtual machine from Parallels, loaded an older version with Studio 2014 installed on it, and voilà... it's running perfectly! So thankful for having this in one of my backup drives! Like most of us, I have no time to spare for software conundrums.. We just need something that operates as expected and that improves our work efficiency. I hope you all find a way out of the issue!

Tomasz Poplawski
Tomasz Poplawski  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:12
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
Sad but... May 16, 2019

I think Studio "upgrades" are really a ripoff, not to use a stronger word.
Practically no well known issues are ever solved, and it just runs more and more slowly...
Oh, the sweet life of the almost monopoly...

Lorenzo Bermejo
Luca Tutino
rachelgreenway
markusm8

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Much faster May 17, 2019

[quote]Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

disabling "Match Repair" and see if it makes any difference...

G

[quote]

Thanks for this tip Giovanni. Big TMs are much faster with Uplift turned off.

SistaTrad

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Glad it helped! May 17, 2019

I had read it somewhere in the past... maybe even on ProZ...

Jo Macdonald wrote:

Thanks for this tip Giovanni. Big TMs are much faster with Uplift turned off.

[Edited at 2019-05-17 12:23 GMT]

Alan Halls
Alan Halls  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Not Windows - it's Trados Jan 14, 2020

I just wanted to add a voice to this discussion. I normally don't use Trados, but sometimes I have clients that want me to.

Being naive, I went for the latest version so am now using Studio 2019 (freelance). I have taken note of the comments on dramatic loss of speed and noticed that Trados was horribly slow. So, to check whether this was a Windows problem, I loaded the same packages in Transit NXT. It's no problem these days to cross-load packages from one CAT tool in another. ... See more
I just wanted to add a voice to this discussion. I normally don't use Trados, but sometimes I have clients that want me to.

Being naive, I went for the latest version so am now using Studio 2019 (freelance). I have taken note of the comments on dramatic loss of speed and noticed that Trados was horribly slow. So, to check whether this was a Windows problem, I loaded the same packages in Transit NXT. It's no problem these days to cross-load packages from one CAT tool in another.

I left both programs open simultaneously and worked on both alternately to see where the hiccups were. The TM/ref. files and dictionaries I used were the same.
Lo' and behold - Transit shot through it like lightning and Trados exhibited all the problems hundreds of users have been reporting in many forums on the web. Whether moving to the next segment, manually saving the file (every 3-5 minutes), exporting the finished translation 10 pages of Word or whatever.

So it is really not a Windows problem, nothing to do with AV, memory (my Parallels VM has 20 GB for Windows 10, of a total of 128 GB on an iMac Pro) or settings.

SDL need to take a long thoughtful look at what they're doing and start doing things right. Since Workbench days, they have tried to make Trados competitive (compared with MemoQ and Transit), but this is not the way to go.
Collapse

Jerzy Ozana
Luca Tutino
markusm8
Ursula Bender

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio very slow at certain Batch-Tasks

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »