Thread poster: Olivier Den Hartigh
Olivier Den Hartigh
Olivier Den Hartigh  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:38
English to French
Aug 29, 2018

Hi,

I am still wondering whether I should upgrade from 2017 to 2019.
For those of you who did, was it worth it?
If so or not, in your opinion, why?
Ollie

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Check this out Aug 29, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FO5Crm1WBQ

I prefer to update to the latest version for my CAT tools, but my impression is that the main difference this time is the interface and not so much under the hood. Apparently the help function is also improved, but if you are already a long time user, you probably don't use it that much anyway.

At least as far as I can see i
... See more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FO5Crm1WBQ

I prefer to update to the latest version for my CAT tools, but my impression is that the main difference this time is the interface and not so much under the hood. Apparently the help function is also improved, but if you are already a long time user, you probably don't use it that much anyway.

At least as far as I can see it may be as well to wait until the next build in two years (Studio 2021).

Roy
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:38
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
this might help answer your question: Aug 29, 2018

https://multifarious.filkin.com/2018/08/27/studio-2019-is-it-worth-it/ (great article, with links to other interesting articles/blog posts, etc. on the topic)

Michael

Iryna Lebedyeva

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Michael Aug 29, 2018

Yes, very helpful. It helped me understand, for example, that the new features of adding files and updating files aren't actually new features -- they're existing features, but in Trados 2019 it takes fewer steps to execute them (4 steps reduced to 2 in the case of file adding, and 4 steps instead of 2 in the case of file updating). This is a happy find anyway, since I was not aware that Trados could do either of these things. But paying hundreds of euros for reducing 4 steps to 2 steps for events that actually seldom happen...?

The "metro map" is nothing more than a visualisation of saying "step 1 of 7", "step 2 of 7" etc. but it's helpful, I suppose.

The new project wizard takes a bit of getting used to. Previously, each step was on a separate screen, so it was easy to follow the process, but in the new wizard, several steps are now on a single screen. This reduces the number of times you have to click "Next" but it doesn't reduce the number of times that you click.

Language selection during project creation is actually more cumbersome. If I want to find a language, I start typing its name, and then the language appears, but after I selected the language, the letters that I have typed are still in the selection box, and if I don't delete them, Trados complains.

Another oddity on that startup screen is that if I realise that I've selected the wrong source language variant after having selected the target language also, then, when I change the source language, the target language gets removed, so I have to add the target language a second time.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Wondering whether to go back to 2017... Aug 29, 2018

I have run into a couple of bugs - one is that when 'verfying', if you click on an item in the list of supposed errors, in the earlier versions, the segment concerned is presented in active form. Then you can correct the error in the box - or not, if you can see from the context that it was not actually an error.
Use of capitals and how numbers are localized varies from one language to another, and it is not always an error, depending on context, so it is quite important to see the surrou
... See more
I have run into a couple of bugs - one is that when 'verfying', if you click on an item in the list of supposed errors, in the earlier versions, the segment concerned is presented in active form. Then you can correct the error in the box - or not, if you can see from the context that it was not actually an error.
Use of capitals and how numbers are localized varies from one language to another, and it is not always an error, depending on context, so it is quite important to see the surrounding segments.

Another is activating segments apart from simply moving on to the next in strict order - I hop around, and segments don't show blue when I just click on them. If I type in them, they promptly change status from confirmed to draft...

I hope these are bugs and not real changes! I must get the Trados folk to look at it.

I was more or less forced to update, as my computer gave up on me over the summer, and I had to buy a new one, but I am seriously considering installing 2017 on the new computer as well as 2019. It is supposed to be possible to run both on the same license.

I add files frequently to projects, so I like the simplified procedure: same client, same setup, new press-release or continuation of an earlier project - adding files is quite handy.

I use templates a lot - I must delete SDL's default with languages set to German to AmE, which I never use!

Retro-fit worked on the two occasions I tried it - I could not get it to work with Studio 2017, and gave up trying. I will use that regularly if it continues to work.

When it works, I like Studio 2019, but if I did not get it automatically with my annual PSMA, I probably would not pay extra for it.
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Assume, it's not worth it Aug 29, 2018

You may know me as, sometimes even overly enthusiastic fan of new Studio features, but this time I've decided to skip the upgrade, because in my case it doesn't introduce anything useful, apart, perhaps the option to view up to 1000 TUs on one page. Not much of an improvement, considering that with other CATs you can scroll the whole TM even if it has several thousand TUs. Also the "breakthrough" "go to the last page" option seems like something it should be there from the very beginning. Anyway... See more
You may know me as, sometimes even overly enthusiastic fan of new Studio features, but this time I've decided to skip the upgrade, because in my case it doesn't introduce anything useful, apart, perhaps the option to view up to 1000 TUs on one page. Not much of an improvement, considering that with other CATs you can scroll the whole TM even if it has several thousand TUs. Also the "breakthrough" "go to the last page" option seems like something it should be there from the very beginning. Anyway, I prefer to export my TMs to the excellent, but now, sadly, obsolete Heartsome TMX Editor and do all changes, cleaning etc there.
Also, although I don't have Studio 2019, I reckon it's still slow to open and its Preview feature is as useless as in previous iterations (otherwise they would brag about the improvements in this area). For me the 2019 version is more like Studio 2017 Second Edition, rather than a full-blown new version.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Wojciech Aug 29, 2018

Wojciech_ wrote:
...apart, perhaps the option to view up to 1000 TUs on one page.

Actually, reading about that improvement was also useful to me, because I had always just assumed that Trados didn't import all the segments, and thought nothing of it (since I don't actually use TMs inside Trados), but now I have learnt that there is actually a limit on how many segments from the TM Trados will display in the TM viewer.

Wojciech_ (X)

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
preview seems to have been improved Aug 31, 2018

Wojciech_ wrote:

You may know me as, sometimes even overly enthusiastic fan of new Studio features, but this time I've decided to skip the upgrade, because in my case it doesn't introduce anything useful, apart, perhaps the option to view up to 1000 TUs on one page. Not much of an improvement, considering that with other CATs you can scroll the whole TM even if it has several thousand TUs. Also the "breakthrough" "go to the last page" option seems like something it should be there from the very beginning. Anyway, I prefer to export my TMs to the excellent, but now, sadly, obsolete Heartsome TMX Editor and do all changes, cleaning etc there.
Also, although I don't have Studio 2019, I reckon it's still slow to open and its Preview feature is as useless as in previous iterations (otherwise they would brag about the improvements in this area). For me the 2019 version is more like Studio 2017 Second Edition, rather than a full-blown new version.

I haven't scientifically tested this, but the preview seems to work way better now. That is, I have actually been using it in most projects, which is not something I have ever been able to do.

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I like St.2019 (as long as I can use ‘RyS Termbase & Translation Assembler’ app for terminology Aug 31, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

Yes, very helpful. It helped me understand, for example, that the new features of adding files and updating files aren't actually new features -- they're existing features, but in Trados 2019 it takes fewer steps to execute them (4 steps reduced to 2 in the case of file adding, and 4 steps instead of 2 in the case of file updating). This is a happy find anyway, since I was not aware that Trados could do either of these things. But paying hundreds of euros for reducing 4 steps to 2 steps for events that actually seldom happen...?

The "metro map" is nothing more than a visualisation of saying "step 1 of 7", "step 2 of 7" etc. but it's helpful, I suppose.

The new project wizard takes a bit of getting used to. Previously, each step was on a separate screen, so it was easy to follow the process, but in the new wizard, several steps are now on a single screen. This reduces the number of times you have to click "Next" but it doesn't reduce the number of times that you click.

Language selection during project creation is actually more cumbersome. If I want to find a language, I start typing its name, and then the language appears, but after I selected the language, the letters that I have typed are still in the selection box, and if I don't delete them, Trados complains.

Another oddity on that startup screen is that if I realise that I've selected the wrong source language variant after having selected the target language also, then, when I change the source language, the target language gets removed, so I have to add the target language a second time.

All together, I'd say I am happy with the upgrade. I always update all my CAT tools regardless (just to ensure I have the latest of everything), but I am happy with quite a few new features and changes. As I mentioned, the preview now seems to work (most of the time). I also like the various UI improvements.

Term recognition and the entire Studio termbase system is still abysmally bad, but I have since given up on it completely and now use ‘RyS Termbase & Translation Assembler’ instead, which is way, way better. I can finally add new terms instantly, without having to wait and watch the Termbase Viewer window jump around like a crazy dying pigeon for up to 15 seconds every time I add a new term. I can now also use massive termbases and recognition actually works. God knows what the SDL developers who are responsible for terminology in Studio are thinking, but their system is just not fit for purpose.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO USE TERMBASES IN (any version of) STUDIO:

https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/rys-termbase-translation-assembler/766/

Michael

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:38
English to Russian
Does not work Sep 1, 2018

Michael Beijer wrote:
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO USE TERMBASES IN (any version of) STUDIO:

When running it, an error message appears: Unexpected exception when creating view part control for view part RyS Termbase and Translation Assembler.
I use SDL Trados 2017 Pro at the moment.
'RyS Variants and Building Blocks' launches well (btw, what is it for?), but 'RyS Termbase and Translation Assembler' doesn't.

Update 1: Oh no! This error trails some other error messages: Access denied..., Method not found...

Update 2: Great! Now I know how to use SDL Plugin Management and uninstall plugins. Thanks!

[Edited at 2018-09-01 10:17 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
still using 2015 Sep 1, 2018

but i have both 2017 and 2019... should I just jump to 2019? Or should I spend a couple of months working with 2017 so the jump is not too big? Maybe it's a silly question...

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
RyS Termbase and Translation Assembler only works if you run Studio as admin Sep 1, 2018

Stepan Konev wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

When running it, an error message appears: Unexpected exception when creating view part control for view part RyS Termbase and Translation Assembler.
I use SDL Trados 2017 Pro at the moment.
'RyS Variants and Building Blocks' launches well (btw, what is it for?), but 'RyS Termbase and Translation Assembler' doesn't.

Update 1: Oh no! This error trails some other error messages: Access denied..., Method not found...

Update 2: Great! Now I know how to use SDL Plugin Management and uninstall plugins. Thanks!

[Edited at 2018-09-01 10:17 GMT]

It's running fine on my computer, and really worth figuring out how to use as it makes Studio usable again. One thing that I can think of is that the plug-in only works if you run Studio as admin.

Also, if you set Studio to always run as admin (as I have done), you then also have to remember to open any other AutoHotkey scripts that you use from inside Studio as admin.

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I'd just go straight to 2019 Sep 1, 2018

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

but i have both 2017 and 2019... should I just jump to 2019? Or should I spend a couple of months working with 2017 so the jump is not too big? Maybe it's a silly question...

Michael

Mark Nathan

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
ok... Sep 1, 2018

Michael Beijer wrote:

Michael

I think I'll do that... I bought 2017 quite late and I got a free upgrade to 2019...

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Go straight to 2019 Sep 4, 2018

The differences are not enormous between 2017 and 2019, but they are in your favour.
And thanks to SDL's technician, who knew exactly what he was doing and adjusted some of my settings, mine is now working, great!

I was more or less forced to update, as I said, but if my computer had not broken down, I would probably have gone on with 2017 a bit longer, maybe indefinitely if the update actually cost me money. As it is, I still think the PSMA is worth every cent, and all service packs and updates come with it.

[Edited at 2018-09-04 18:22 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Was SDL 2019 upgrade worth it?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »