How to highlight target text in Studio editor?
Thread poster: yakky
yakky
yakky  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:33
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 15, 2018

Hi,
We know that we can change the format of target text into Bold, Italics, Underline and etc. But is there a Highlight formatting in Studio editor?
I searched everywhere and found nothing. Since highlight is a commonly used format in document processing, I am wondering why not have one in Studio?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:33
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Interesting idea Aug 15, 2018

Although this sounds like a good idea, I think one problem might be that the highlighting might conflict with the highlighting already used to mark up various types of comments in the Studio editor.

Michael

yakky
yakky  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They are different Aug 15, 2018

What I want is a formatting tool, which change the target text format and can be "transferred" into exported target file.
The highlighted appearance of "comment" in Studio is only a mark to show a comment, which does not change the target text format.
I think there will be no confusion here, since the highlight format can be implemented using tags just as Bold, Italics, Underline and etc.

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:33
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Import highlighted text in Trados Aug 15, 2018

What I would do: create a Word file with some highlighted words, import the file into SDL Trados and check what tags are added in SDL.
May be there is a way to save or re-create these tags in SDL.

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
How to highlight target text in Studio editor Aug 15, 2018

There is a highlight function, you can find it in the Quick Insert toolbar. It is only in yellow, though. There is also a shortcut but I don't remember it.

German Legal
Mahmoud El-Gendi

yakky
yakky  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Big Thanks Aug 15, 2018

Ekaterina Kroumova wrote:

There is a highlight function, you can find it in the Quick Insert toolbar. It is only in yellow, though. There is also a shortcut but I don't remember it.

Hi, Ekaterina Kroumova
I must say, you have saved me from days of tedious work!
Many many many thanks~

Ekaterina Kroumova
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
You're welcome Aug 15, 2018

You're welcome, yakky.

Actually I checked, there isn't any shortcut associated with the highlighting formatting but you can set one in the Keyboard Shortcut options. I remember a colleague of mine was using this function a lot, so she created a shortcut for it. That's why I thought there was a shortcut.

Maarja Orro

Linh Hoang
Linh Hoang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 03:33
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Easiest way! Apr 25, 2021

Hi all,

I found the easiest way to highlight the texts in the Target column (Trados Studio) as follows:

1- Select the texts in the Target that you want them to be highlighted.
2- Hold the Ctrl key and click on the highlighted in the Source

That's all. Hope it works for you.

Linh

Alessandra Cazzola
Hilarious Azeh
Beng Suan Toh

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:33
English to Russian
Not clear Apr 25, 2021

Linh Hoang wrote:
In step 1, you "select the texts in the Target". Then what is "the highlighted in the Source" in step 2? Simply clicking here and there won't change anything obviously.

[Edited at 2021-04-25 11:28 GMT]

Alessandra Cazzola
Alessandra Cazzola  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2018)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Solved it! Sep 19, 2022

Thank you Linh, so easy and to think I have been looking for the highlighting function in Studio for some time now!

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Sep 19, 2022

Linh Hoang wrote:
Hi all,
I found the easiest way to highlight the texts in the Target column (Trados Studio) as follows:
That's all. Hope it works for you.
Linh
Finally, I understand what that means. This action simply transfers formatting from source to target when such formatting is present in the source segment. It has nothing to do with highlighting.

In addition to the above-referenced highlighting tool, you can use Wordlight for highlighting in different colors.

[Edited at 2022-09-19 13:07 GMT]

Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Highlight or Twilight? Sep 20, 2022

Reading all these comments make me feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. I have no idea what people are talking about.

Ekaterina mentions a highlight function that doesn't seem to exist and then goes on to talk about a "Quick Insert Menu" which also doesn't exist.

Do you mean the "Quick Access Toolbar"? That doesn't work in Studio 2022 and it didn't work in the previous version either (you can no longer customise it. I reported this and nobody ever did anything about it)
... See more
Reading all these comments make me feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. I have no idea what people are talking about.

Ekaterina mentions a highlight function that doesn't seem to exist and then goes on to talk about a "Quick Insert Menu" which also doesn't exist.

Do you mean the "Quick Access Toolbar"? That doesn't work in Studio 2022 and it didn't work in the previous version either (you can no longer customise it. I reported this and nobody ever did anything about it). And even if it did work, there's no highlight function to put in there.

I finally figured out what Linh is talking about, but like Stepan says this is just a means of transferring formatting from source to target and if you copy your source segment over to the target segment it's there anyway (and then you can type over it).

I finally tried Wordlight. Pressing the main button seems to do nothing at in Studio 2022 except lock up the program completely. Luckily, pressing the Escape key sets you free. A right-click on selected text will actually allow you to highlight that text in yellow (from the context menu). But there seems to be no way to change the colour. I tried setting up a custom tab on the ribbon, but the only function that I could get to work was the same one as on the context menu (highlight in yellow). It's better than nothing, but not what I was hoping for.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Highlight word Sep 20, 2022

Nick Quaintmere wrote:
Ekaterina mentions a highlight function that doesn't seem to exist...
Not exactly. You can select it from the dropdown list in the QuickInsert menu. You can even assign a shortcut for that ('Highlight word'). However it may not work for some file types. I didn't tried them all, though it works for MS Word files and PDFs, but it doesn't work for non-native xliff files (e.g. Smartcat xliff).

I finally tried Wordlight. Pressing the main button seems to do nothing at in Studio 2022 except lock up the program completely.
Make sure you install the correct version* for Trados 2022. You can ensure that by installing Wordlight from your Private Appstore.
Also, if you have selected the formatting display style 'Show all tags but do not show formatting', you will not see any color applied. The only difference in this case is that a pair of tags is added before and after the selection.

*UPD: Wordlight is not available for Trados 2022 yet.

[Edited at 2022-09-20 21:28 GMT]

Nick Quaintmere

Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
From twilight back to highlight! :D Sep 21, 2022

Thank you Stepan for that excellent explanation, and sorry Ekaterina that I doubted you!

Shame about the incompatibility with the Wordlight plugin. I suspected that might be the problem. But as I said, basic functionality is still there (highlight word, right click, choose "Highlight Word" from the context menu. Or, set up a shortcut on a new tab on the ribbon, as I also did).

Having different colours w
... See more
Thank you Stepan for that excellent explanation, and sorry Ekaterina that I doubted you!

Shame about the incompatibility with the Wordlight plugin. I suspected that might be the problem. But as I said, basic functionality is still there (highlight word, right click, choose "Highlight Word" from the context menu. Or, set up a shortcut on a new tab on the ribbon, as I also did).

Having different colours will be something I look forward to in the future!
Collapse

Ekaterina Kroumova
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Too deep of a doubt Sep 21, 2022

Nick Quaintmere wrote:

... and sorry Ekaterina that I doubted you!

You are excused

[Modifié le 2022-09-21 12:25 GMT]

Nick Quaintmere

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to highlight target text in Studio editor?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »