Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 06:21
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2018

I have Studio 2017 and can't disable tag protection.

Please don't tell me Edit View, Click on Advanced, the Formatting section and click on the lock icon for tag protection … I have been there, done that dozens of times in different projects, and it just does not work. The lock icon remains highlighted and LOCKED, and I can't get rid of the tags.

I think I had this problem with earlier versions of Studio too. There must be something in the Options or settings somewher
... See more
I have Studio 2017 and can't disable tag protection.

Please don't tell me Edit View, Click on Advanced, the Formatting section and click on the lock icon for tag protection … I have been there, done that dozens of times in different projects, and it just does not work. The lock icon remains highlighted and LOCKED, and I can't get rid of the tags.

I think I had this problem with earlier versions of Studio too. There must be something in the Options or settings somewhere that overrides it.

The main problem is tags for word breaks, which I do not want in the translation. Should they prove necessary, which they rarely do, I add them after exporting the target, when I do the final edit.

The only workaround I know is to edit the source document and remove the offending breaks before I start translating, but if it is a large document, this is time consuming. I usually discover the problem halfway through translating.

Of course, I could add a new, edited source file and add what I had already translated from the TM, but I would love to know how to get the official method to work!

Any advice on how to persuade Studio to let me edit the source and delete the tags? I will be most grateful!
Collapse

Sergey Berezovikov

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 00:21
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
CodeZapper, Transtools Jun 12, 2018

My first suggestion would be editing the source file using those automated "tuning" tools, specially Transtools' "Document Cleaner" part.

An alternative for it would be recreating the Studio project, but this time checking the "Allow source editing" box in the "Project Detail" dialog box.

Saludos.

Christine Andersen
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gracias Jun 12, 2018

… but source editing is already allowed, and I do it when there are commas, spelling mistakes or other odds and ends in the source, to keep my TMs tidy.

But tags seem to be unassailable!

Cutazzo
Cutazzo
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
The solution is quite easy, but indeed not to be found at the first glance. Dec 29, 2019

Open a file. Upper line, choose "Advanced". At the left side you see "Protect Tags". It is grey marked, uncheck it, it will work almost miraculously. Having activated the editing of the source or not, doesn't play any role for this special extent.

Alliki Lukk

Christine Andersen
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have done this a hundred times and it does NOT work!!! Feb 17, 2020

Cutazzo wrote:

Open a file. Upper line, choose "Advanced". At the left side you see "Protect Tags". It is grey marked, uncheck it, it will work almost miraculously. Having activated the editing of the source or not, doesn't play any role for this special extent.

I HAVE tried that dozens of times, and now again. I said in my first post that it does not work for me!

My 'protect tags' icon is ALWAYS purple and active, no matter what I do. I have never seen it unlocked.
There must be another setting somewhere, but I cannot find it, and it is extremely frustrating when the source is totally fragmented and unreadable.

The only option I have is to ignore all the tags and ignore them in the QA process as well, but I would love to know how to get it to work properly...

Sergey Berezovikov

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:21
English to Russian
Always highlighted Feb 17, 2020

Option 1
When you hover your mouse over the Protect Tags button, it is always highlighted. You can't see any visual difference when you turn it on or off. Try to click it and then move the mouse away from it. If still highlighted, click again and move the mouse away from it again.

Actually, I have another suggestion for you, but please try the above option 1 first. When I turned the Protect Tags feature on to reproduce your issue, I 'couldn't' turn it off then either. I click
... See more
Option 1
When you hover your mouse over the Protect Tags button, it is always highlighted. You can't see any visual difference when you turn it on or off. Try to click it and then move the mouse away from it. If still highlighted, click again and move the mouse away from it again.

Actually, I have another suggestion for you, but please try the above option 1 first. When I turned the Protect Tags feature on to reproduce your issue, I 'couldn't' turn it off then either. I clicked it many times before I understood why I 'could not' turn it off. (I use quotes because I actually could, but did not notice that.)

So option 2 is to assign a shortcut for it. Go to File-Options-Keyboard Shortcuts-Editor-Protect Tags.
However I am pretty sure the shortcut workaround works just because, when using it, you don't hover the mouse over the Protect Tags button and consequently you don't get confused with its 'always-highlighted' behavior.

[Edited at 2020-02-18 00:47 GMT]
Collapse

Bertrand Malingrey

Sergey Berezovikov
Sergey Berezovikov
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:21
English to Russian
+ ...
to Stepan Jun 25, 2021

Funny. What you suggest really makes sense. Only it doesn't make a difference. With or without Tag Protection I still cannot delete them. I have so much sympathy for the topic starter. I have the same problem. I mean, I can delete the tags from the translation, but not from the original even with an option to edit the original on.

[Edited at 2021-06-25 10:24 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In Studio 2019 it sometimes works Jun 25, 2021

Since I started this topic, I have updated to Studio 2019, and at least sometimes it is possible to disable tag protection, simply by clicking on 'Advanced' and then on the purple icon.

I have not had the courage to update to 2021 yet!
But that was the solution for me.

Thank you for the suggestions anyway!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I disable tag protection?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »