Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 20:02
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
basic features Jul 25, 2018

Hope you can upgrade some basic features like opening translation memory folder directly from the project. Currently when you would like to open translation memory, you first need to go all the way to project folder - actually you see the project on list.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:02
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Back to basics please Jul 25, 2018

Richard Hill wrote:
They need to iron out the basic flaws before adding fancy new features that only serve to make it increasingly more unstable.

Agreed. I too find Studio sluggish even on decent hardware. I want them to spend an upgrade cycle or two ironing out the many small irritations, and improving performance.

I don't know how they test their products, but clearly they are either not capturing something about the way translators like ourselves use this software, or they have decided that the dissatisfaction and negative feedback they see is not enough of an issue to warrant a diversion from their current roadmap.

Dan

Anthony Teixeira
Wojciech_ (X)
Vladimir Filipenko
Luca Tutino

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 12:02
English to Polish
+ ...
Oh yeah Jul 25, 2018

Dan Lucas wrote:

Richard Hill wrote:
They need to iron out the basic flaws before adding fancy new features that only serve to make it increasingly more unstable.

Agreed. I too find Studio sluggish even on decent hardware. I want them to spend an upgrade cycle or two ironing out the many small irritations, and improving performance.

I don't know how they test their products, but clearly they are either not capturing something about the way translators like ourselves use this software, or they have decided that the dissatisfaction and negative feedback they see is not enough of an issue to warrant a diversion from their current roadmap.

Dan

Agree. A simple example. The way Studio treats abbreviations makes it impossible to add them on-the-fly and consequently after adding them immediately recognize them as non-segment ending punctuation.

Currently, I'd need to read the whole text first to see if there are any abbreviations that can end a segment and add them to the TM. Completely unintuitive and against what we'd like to do.

Unfortunately, in many cases it looks as if SDL wanted us to adjust to Studio's way of doing things, not the other way round. No bidirectional TM? "Sorry, this is the way we designed Studio". No vertical layout? "This is a part of our strategy".

And then, forced by users, they create sort of prostheses in form of additional apps that add functionalities that should have been there from the very first moment.

Wilhelm Weigert

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Let's just outsource core functions, because we can Jul 25, 2018

Wojciech_ wrote:
And then, forced by users, they create sort of prostheses in form of additional apps that add functionalities that should have been there from the very first moment.

Me: "I'd like to print only unlocked segments. How do I do this please?"

SDL: "Oh, well, our focus groups tell us there's no demand for printing. But you can download something called SDLXLIFF Toolkit, install it, navigate the hot mess of an interface and eventually work out how to use it to create a new .sdlxliff file with only unlocked segments, save that as a new .sdlxliff file, open that new .sdlxliff file, do a print preview from that and then print from your browser! You see how great it is having an extensible architecture?"

Me: "Er, that sounds like a lot of trouble. Can I not just print from the original project?"

SDL: "No."

Tom in London
Florence Bremond
Alena Tomesova
Luca Tutino

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 13:02
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
First impressions from Studio 2019 Jul 25, 2018

So, I have just installed Studio 2019. I was disappointed by seeing that I had to do all display customizations from scratch, using the terrible font customization settings—which should have been overhauled, but they haven't. I also did not like that I still have to select exactly 5 languages, that there are no other colour themes, that they have started using some non-standard grey rectangular buttons which barely stand out from the grey background (which makes the GUI inconsistent and even u... See more
So, I have just installed Studio 2019. I was disappointed by seeing that I had to do all display customizations from scratch, using the terrible font customization settings—which should have been overhauled, but they haven't. I also did not like that I still have to select exactly 5 languages, that there are no other colour themes, that they have started using some non-standard grey rectangular buttons which barely stand out from the grey background (which makes the GUI inconsistent and even uglier) and that the window management component is the same, flawed one from a decade ago. Finally, I was disappointed by the fact that I had misunderstood what "language-specific QA checks" meant: it doesn't mean that SDL has given you better checks for specific languages but only that you can now set QA checks on a per language pair basis, not only on a per project basis...Collapse

Anthony Teixeira
Anthony Teixeira
Japan
Local time: 20:02
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Oh no Jul 26, 2018

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

I still have to select exactly 5 languages

Seriously, is it so complicated to make it so we can choose fewer language pairs than 5?

Dan Lucas
Florence Bremond
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:02
English to Russian
They even forgot to update the badges... Jul 26, 2018

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:
I was disappointed

Have you seen their brand new SDL Trados Studio 2019 badges?

On the other hand, now you can keep both versions after 'coming weeks' (thanks for warning beforehand, very nice of SDL to give now a ready-for-activation license that needs waiting for CU within the next few weeks):

Not quite ready to move on to the newest version of SDL Trados Studio? With our latest update, that's not a problem.
Studio 2019's activation code will work with your Studio 2017 software. In the coming weeks we'll be releasing a CU (Cumulative Update) for Studio 2017. Download the CU once it's available, then follow the steps below to activate your Studio 2019 license. The activation code you receive for Studio 2019 will work on both versions of your software!

[Edited at 2018-07-26 03:31 GMT]

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Not much new code Jul 26, 2018

It seems that with this new version they spent more time writing help files and producing videos than writing code. And their Tell Me feature, which I thought would be the most interesting of the lot, turns out to be a disappointment, too, because it is too crude: most results are too long to fit in the narrow display box they chose. How come no one saw this? If they fail to see such simple, blatant flaws, then how can one expect them to resolve more complex issues?

Luca Tutino

Richard Hill
Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:02
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Don't return your 2017 license. We can keep version 2017 after installing 2019 Jul 26, 2018

Richard Hill wrote:

I definitely won't be upgrading right away, especially as it's not possible to keep 2017 after installing 2019.

[Edited at 2018-07-24 05:19 GMT]

I stand correct, It seems you can keep both versions.

See Emma Goldsmith's blog at https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2018/07/26/studio-2019/

dlecount (X)
dlecount (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Glorified bugfix or actual release? Jul 27, 2018

The marketing of TS2019 was a series of big red flags for me - next to no information about the new "features" apart from vague promises of increased performance, and a discounted upgrade offer that was contingent on committing to a purchase before actually knowing whether you were buying a pig in a poke. It signalled to me that SDL had absolutely no confidence in the quality of their product, and after the absolutely appalling state of Trados Studio 2017, I can't say I'm terribly surprised to h... See more
The marketing of TS2019 was a series of big red flags for me - next to no information about the new "features" apart from vague promises of increased performance, and a discounted upgrade offer that was contingent on committing to a purchase before actually knowing whether you were buying a pig in a poke. It signalled to me that SDL had absolutely no confidence in the quality of their product, and after the absolutely appalling state of Trados Studio 2017, I can't say I'm terribly surprised to hear that TS2019 underwhelms on pretty much every level.

Have SDL at least attempted to iron out some of the bugs (including those related to the notorious "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error messages, the problems with importing legacy Trados glossaries that caused entire projects to be corrupted, the problems with the preview window crashing) or have they just been compounded with new ones?

The idea of a €225 bugfix for a product that I had already paid hundreds of euros for but which was barely fit for purpose is insulting enough...
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)
Konat
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Alena Tomesova
Luca Tutino
Wilhelm Weigert

Annie Sapucaia
Annie Sapucaia  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:02
French to English
+ ...
In theory but not in practice Aug 4, 2018

Renata von Koerber wrote:

I really wish that Studio would address the problem of not having a intuitive interface design.
Looking for processes in nooks and crannies cannot be the way forward. Cryptic system messages, program glitches like disappearing search/replace windows after a different monitor setup were never addressed properly.
Of course Studio is an extremely powerful tool, but the large community of users is paying a proud price for it, and I’d wish there was enough developing power to revamp the whole interaction design, and finally make this user friendy.
All that went through my mind when I read that wishy-washy marketing blurb where Surprise! was the main “promise”.
I don’t want surprises - I want a technically outstanding, intuitive tool for my working day.
I’ve been waiting for that with every new release ...

[Edited at 2018-04-26 18:01 GMT]

In theory it sounds great to have a tool like Studio and all it can offer. Every time I go to actually use it though, something goes wrong and I have to do some research to try to figure out what happened. I thought the whole point of the tool was to make you GO FASTER. Despite its memory capacities I find that I just work slower in Trados, because I have to lock segments/insert tags/figure out the bugs. I don't want to have to have a computer science degree to be able to work this thing. Plus it freaks me out to not be able to see the document as a Word document while I'm working in the Editor (wasn't there a Word viewer at some point, or am I imagining it?). So far it just hasn't ever made my life easier (I've only ever had the 2014 version, so not sure if the other ones are way better, but from what I've been reading, they are not).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
You're excited? Aug 4, 2018

SDL_Dan wrote:

Today we are excited

All I can suggest is a cold shower.

[Edited at 2018-08-04 06:53 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
And... Aug 4, 2018

Regi2006 wrote:

...Trados Studio 2017 is your own product, your pride, ...

And you're able to use Proz for free to market it

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:02
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Excited ... Aug 4, 2018

... in this context could mean "I'm laughing out loud directly into your face"

Tom in London wrote:

SDL_Dan wrote:

Today we are excited

When do agencies finally stop forcing us to use (and therefore buy) this money printing machine?

[Bearbeitet am 2018-08-04 11:42 GMT]

Tom in London
Luca Tutino
Wilhelm Weigert

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
No bugfix Aug 7, 2018

The idea of a €225 bugfix for a product that I had already paid hundreds of euros for but which was barely fit for purpose is insulting enough...

All the bugs you know and love are still there.

Wilhelm Weigert

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2019 announcement

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »