Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:26
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mar 15, 2018

Years ago I once managed to create a termbase for use in Studio, but this time I couldn't reproduce it. I had downloaded Glossary Converter, but it gets stuck on the first line of the file which is just a text line.
So I would like to hear what you use for this task. Thanks!

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 16:26
Italian to German
+ ...
But I'm using this converter successfully... Mar 15, 2018

Here my notes and download link, maybe you have an older version not suited for Trados 2017?

------------------------
Glossary Converter

Description & download from the website: http://www.cerebus.de/glossaryconverter/

This is a tool to help translators make use of terminology in SDL Trados Studio. It converts between Excel spr
... See more
Here my notes and download link, maybe you have an older version not suited for Trados 2017?

------------------------
Glossary Converter

Description & download from the website: http://www.cerebus.de/glossaryconverter/

This is a tool to help translators make use of terminology in SDL Trados Studio. It converts between Excel spreadsheets (or some other glossary formats) and SDL MultiTerm termbases (as required in Trados Studio) with a minimum of effort.

Support for Trados Studio 2017
Fix: crash when converting an sdltb termbase with corrupted media fields
Fix: Converting a termbase with language EN failed when convertin to Passolo format

Glossary Plugin

This is a Trados Studio Plugin that makes it easier to add terminology to projects. You can either add a new, empty termbase, or import existing terminology files. It's also possible to export project termbases with a click. The plugin requires Glossary Converter for part of its functionality.
------------------------
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
MultiTerm Convert (and sometimes some cleanup before) Mar 15, 2018

Dear Heinrich,

I have found SDL MultiTerm Convert to work just fine - I'm not sure if that's what you mean by "Glossary Converter". Try to make sure to strip your Excel file from any content that's not relevant for the conversion - extra columns shouldn't pose a problem, but in the case you describe, I'd probably delete the text line. Ideally, the first row should contain only the names of the languages the columns contain.

HTH,
Erik

[E
... See more
Dear Heinrich,

I have found SDL MultiTerm Convert to work just fine - I'm not sure if that's what you mean by "Glossary Converter". Try to make sure to strip your Excel file from any content that's not relevant for the conversion - extra columns shouldn't pose a problem, but in the case you describe, I'd probably delete the text line. Ideally, the first row should contain only the names of the languages the columns contain.

HTH,
Erik

[Edited at 2018-03-15 17:54 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:26
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works Mar 15, 2018

I did what Erik suggested, copied the two columns into an empty workbook with only the language names in the first row.
After that Glossary Converter did everything and saved the database, which is now in use in SDL Studio 2017.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Language names Mar 15, 2018

Yes, it's important that the first line always contains the language information, e.g. EN > DE or EN-EN > DE-DE etc with Multiterm Convert and other tools. And with text files be sure they are in Unicode!

[Edited at 2018-03-15 19:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

YOUR path from Excel 2-column to SDL Studio termbase

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »