Silvia Cancedda
Silvia Cancedda  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:05
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Jun 30, 2017

Hi everybody,

I've just bought a 2017 version of SDL Trados Studio. I'm unable to make it run correctly on my mac. I can't install it or use my license, because the mac doesn't recognise it.

Do you have any solution? I tried with free and low price apps to create a windows envirnoment, but it looks like it is impossible to open!

I am desperate!

Thank you very much for your help!

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Mac Compatibility Jun 30, 2017

This is the main reason I've never invested in SDL. I'm sure there are many other mac-users who are the same. If you're listening SDL, it's about time you made your software mac-compatible!

Good luck Silvia, I hope you can manage to get Windows to work.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
You will need a VM to run any Windows-based program Jun 30, 2017

Silvia Cancedda wrote:

Hi everybody,

I've just bought a 2017 version of SDL Trados Studio. I'm unable to make it run correctly on my mac. I can't install it or use my license, because the mac doesn't recognise it.

Do you have any solution? I tried with free and low price apps to create a windows envirnoment, but it looks like it is impossible to open!

I am desperate!

Thank you very much for your help!

Cara Silvia, what model is your Mac? Year, operating system, etc.?

I have been using Macs for many years (since 2004) in parallel with Windows computers, and I've experienced with different virtual environments, called virtual machines or VMs to run the Windows operating system and Windows-based programs.

Let me know!

Silvia Cancedda
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what is a VM? Jun 30, 2017

Hi Mario,

my mac is a MacBook Pro 2015. What is this VM? I've never heard about that.

Somebody told me about bootcamp now, but I don't know about that either.

Could you please explain me what a VM is?

Thank you very much!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
VM = virtual machine Jun 30, 2017

Silvia Cancedda wrote:

Hi Mario,

my mac is a MacBook Pro 2015. What is this VM? I've never heard about that.

Somebody told me about bootcamp now, but I don't know about that either.

Could you please explain me what a VM is?

Thank you very much!

Hello, Silvia:

As I said, a VM is a virtual machine. Boot Camp is Apple's pretty good solution to install Windows on a Mac. There are many articles explaining how to use it (look for them in Macworld, MacUser, CNET and other reputable sites). The Boot Camp application splits your Mac's hard drive in two partitions (your data is safe, there is no reformatting). You first run Boot Camp, let it create a partition (I don't know how big is your hard drive but I would go with 50/50). At one point, Boot Camp will ask you for a Windows OS disc (DVD probably) to install your Windows operating system. I highly recommend going with Windows 7 Pro, not Windows 8 or 10, for compatibility reasons.

Once you install Windows, run all the updates first. Install an antivirus program (I recommend Kaspersky Internet Security, good for up to 5 computers). After you do all that, then install Trados SDL Studio. I've done it several times.

Oh, I have a 2011 MacBook Pro (15-inch laptop) and I have Windows programs on it.

If you don't want to use Boot Camp, I recommend Parallels 11 or 12 for Mac. It creates a VM (see above) where you can install Windows (again, you will need a Windows DVD disc).

Good luck!

Mario

Cornelia Oppitz
Cornelia Oppitz  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
Parallels Jun 30, 2017

Dear Silvia,

I'm using a MacBook Air with Parallels (to create a Windows environment) and Trados Studio 2017. No problems so far. You need to have a Windows license. Here's the link to Parallels: http://www.parallels.com/de/

I hope this helps.

Connie

Silvia Cancedda
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have the solution! Jul 1, 2017

Thank you very much!!!
You all have been of great help!
I read about bootcamp and parallels, still don't know which one is the best option, but I'll try bootcamp first as it's free and afterwords decide.

Thank you all! Have a nice day!

Quentina Chan
Quentina Chan
Malaysia
Local time: 22:05
Member (2015)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Need some opinions from you Sep 18, 2017

Silvia Cancedda wrote:

Thank you very much!!!
You all have been of great help!
I read about bootcamp and parallels, still don't know which one is the best option, but I'll try bootcamp first as it's free and afterwords decide.

Thank you all! Have a nice day!

Hi Silvia,

I am wondering have your problems solved? Because I'm considering to switch from Window to Mac, and then I found out that there is no Mac version of Trados, and so hope to hear some opinions from you.

Silvia Cancedda
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No problems with Trados! Sep 19, 2017

Hello!
Yes, I've solved it exactly as Cornelia suggested. I bought Parallels and Windows 10 which are now installed on my Mac Book.
Trados works perfectly, I just had to get used a little bit to the new configuration but it's great.
Perhaps it slowed down a bit my Mac, but I think that it also depends on the model and year of your computer.

I suggest you the same, it is preferable to Boot Camp in my opinion.

Regards and good luck!

Silvi
... See more
Hello!
Yes, I've solved it exactly as Cornelia suggested. I bought Parallels and Windows 10 which are now installed on my Mac Book.
Trados works perfectly, I just had to get used a little bit to the new configuration but it's great.
Perhaps it slowed down a bit my Mac, but I think that it also depends on the model and year of your computer.

I suggest you the same, it is preferable to Boot Camp in my opinion.

Regards and good luck!

Silvia
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 21:05
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Please Sep 19, 2017

Silvia Cancedda wrote:
it is preferable to Boot Camp in my opinion.

Can you elaborate on that?

Hans

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Parallels Sep 19, 2017

I agree with using Parallels.

If you use your Mac os for 98% of all tasks and Windows for just one program, I'd also suggesting using Parallels.

But, as mentioned above, it can slow down your machine if you have an older model.

When my whole system is running, with everything open (including Windows on Parrallels) I can be using up to 20 gig of RAM. It is still running very smoothly, without a glitch. However, this is a 2017 model iMac with 24 gig RAM, so
... See more
I agree with using Parallels.

If you use your Mac os for 98% of all tasks and Windows for just one program, I'd also suggesting using Parallels.

But, as mentioned above, it can slow down your machine if you have an older model.

When my whole system is running, with everything open (including Windows on Parrallels) I can be using up to 20 gig of RAM. It is still running very smoothly, without a glitch. However, this is a 2017 model iMac with 24 gig RAM, so it depends on your model and patience.

If you are concerned about your speed being affected and don't mind using Windows 100% when you need it, without having to swap between systems, use Bootcamp. i.e. when you have Windows installed on Bootcamp, you can't run your Mac version of MS Word etc. etc.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Quentina Chan
Quentina Chan
Malaysia
Member (2015)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks a lot! Nov 10, 2017

Silvia Cancedda wrote:

Hello!
Yes, I've solved it exactly as Cornelia suggested.

Thanks for your response, I think I will try Parallels
as other softwares I use so far have mac vesion, except Trados

[Edited at 2017-11-10 10:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-11-10 10:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-11-10 10:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-11-10 10:51 GMT]

Quentina Chan
Quentina Chan
Malaysia
Member (2015)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks Silvia! Nov 16, 2017

I think I will try Parallels
as other softwares I use so far have mac vesion, except Trados

Vera Koshet (X)
Vera Koshet (X)
Portugal
Local time: 14:05
Hebrew to Portuguese
+ ...
Importing files to Trados when working on a Mac Mar 2, 2018

I have Mac and use parallel and word but do not seem to be able to import word, pdf, brochures etc. onto Trados. Can anyone help with this?
Thanks

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS STUDIO 2017 on mac

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »