Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 07:46
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
More details. Mar 24, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

You mentioned that 'Base file is .xliff which was then transformed to .ttx and then .sdlxliff'. Who transformed it and why? Does it mean that you get '.ttx and .sdlxliff' files as source for your translation?
If yes, then you cannot save source ttx or sdlxliff as target xliff; and that is why you managed to save it as ttx and sdlxliff.
If not, then why they transform the file and what it has to do with your workflow?

The client transformed it, they never explain why. What you just quoted was me quoting the client. I assume it is for graphic design reasons, but I'm not sure, they never provide any native files or much explanations. All I know is that they had problems opening sdlxliff files but were fine opening xliff files. So, you are saying it will be impossible for me to save target as xliff, it seems to me that's the case as well.

I crossed checked all projects and here are the results:
The current project source files which I'm facing problems with end with: .xliff.ttx.sdlxliff
The previous project source files which I never had problems saving target as xliff end with: .xliff.ttx.sdlxliff

The client confirmed they never did anything to change the source file format in the meantime. I don't get what happened.

[Edited at 2020-03-24 13:37 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lingua Mar 24, 2020

Lingua 5B wrote:
The client reported back:
Base file is .xliff which was then transformed to .ttx and then .sdlxliff
In Trados Studio, the client can transform .xliff to .ttx. However, they cannot transform .ttx to xliff.

Okay, this is not uncommon, but it means that they are not sending you an XLIFF file to begin with. They are sending you an SDLXLIFF file. Right? So, all you need to do, is send them back the SDLXLIFF file. There is no need for you to save as target, because they are the ones who created the SDLXLIFF file.

UPDATED:

I've just discovered that Trados 2019 can actually convert TTX files to its original source format, as long as you also have the original source file.

If I use the "Save As Target" option on a .doc.ttx.sdlxliff file, Trados 2019 asks me which format I want to save it as. I can save it as "TRADOSTag Document" (i.e. TTX) or as "Original File Format", which in my case is DOC but which in your case would be XLIFF.

Curiously, when I use other ways of generating the translated files, e.g. Batch Tasks, I'm not given the option to save as the original format. But if I open the file and then go File > Save Target As, then I'm given that option, although Trados asks for the original file as well... (which in your case would be an XLIFF file, right?).

[Edited at 2020-03-24 13:56 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
@Samuel Mar 24, 2020

When I first started working for this client they asked for my version and informed me theirs was 2014, we were trying to figure out why they could not open none of my sdlxliff files (still can't). Then they asked if I can send xliffs which I found a way to save through save target as and it worked fine on their end. Can't do it now. All the source files they ever sent had .xliff.ttx.sdlxliff extension. I'll suggest to the client what you suggested (reverting the format).

You are al
... See more
When I first started working for this client they asked for my version and informed me theirs was 2014, we were trying to figure out why they could not open none of my sdlxliff files (still can't). Then they asked if I can send xliffs which I found a way to save through save target as and it worked fine on their end. Can't do it now. All the source files they ever sent had .xliff.ttx.sdlxliff extension. I'll suggest to the client what you suggested (reverting the format).

You are also saying we can't resolve this without the 2007 version?

[Edited at 2020-03-24 13:45 GMT]
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Just noticed a strange thing. Mar 24, 2020

I went to the original folder with the files the client sent the first time and opened them in Trados and then saved them in that same original folder and found them to have extension: .xliff.ttx.sdlxliff. When I move them to a different folder, the extension changes to: .xliff.ttx on its own, is this related to anything in any way? I tried sending both version to the client for test, they could not open any of them.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:46
English to Russian
File extension Mar 24, 2020

is the last group of characters after the last dot. Anything else before the last dot is just a file name. Even though the file name contains another extension (xliff), it is still just a name.
In your case *.xliff.ttx.sdlxliff only .sdlxliff is the true extension. Everything else (*.xliff.ttx) is the file name. In other words, you have an sdlxliff file called *.xliff.ttx.
If your file is *.xliff.ttx, then its true extension is .ttx, and the *.xliff is just its name.... See more
is the last group of characters after the last dot. Anything else before the last dot is just a file name. Even though the file name contains another extension (xliff), it is still just a name.
In your case *.xliff.ttx.sdlxliff only .sdlxliff is the true extension. Everything else (*.xliff.ttx) is the file name. In other words, you have an sdlxliff file called *.xliff.ttx.
If your file is *.xliff.ttx, then its true extension is .ttx, and the *.xliff is just its name.

When you put (import) a file into Trados, Trados converts it into sdlxliff. In other words again, if you import a ttx file named *.xliff.ttx, Trados would create *.xliff.ttx.sdlxliff for its internal purposes (for parsing). Then, when the translation is done, Trados converts this *.xliff.ttx.sdlxliff file back to the original format (ttx).

If you had a file ending with *.xliff only, then Trados would convert it into *.xliff.sdlxliff. And then you could save it back as xliff. However, because you see *.xliff.ttx.sdlxliff in the specific folder, it means you have a ttx file as source. That's why you can't save it as xliff. Your client sent you a ttx file which they want you to convert to xliff. No way.

[Edited at 2020-03-24 15:50 GMT]
Collapse

Oriol Vives (X)

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Makes sense. Mar 24, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

is the last group after the last dot. Anything else before the last dot is just a file name.
In your case *.xliff.ttx.sdlxliff only .sdlxliff is the true extension. Everything else (*.xliff.ttx) is the file name. In other word you have an sdlxliff file called *.xliff.ttx.
If your file is *.xliff.ttx, the the true extension is .ttx, while the *.xliff is just its name.

When you put a file into Trados, Trados converts it into sdlxliff. In other words, if you import a ttx file named *.xliff.ttx, Trados creates *.xliff.ttx.sdlxliff for its internal purposes (for parsing). Then, when the translation is done, Trados takes this *.xliff.ttx.sdlxliff and converts it back to the original format (ttx).

If you had a file ending with just *.xliff, then Trados would convert it into *.xliff.sdlxliff. And then you could save it back as xliff. However, because you see *.xliff.ttx.sdlxliff in the specific folder, it means you have ttx as source. That's why you can't save it as xliff.

Yes, that makes so much sense, thank you. I received .xliff.ttx.sdlxliff directly from client in their folder, it didn't happen when I inserted it in Trados. I got .xliff.ttx.sdlxliff to work with directly. Anyway, the client is working to fix this with their colleague who is in charge of file formatting, hope they will come up with something soon.

Thanks all.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Asked the client if they can simply convert the file back to .xliff Mar 24, 2020

I asked the client if they can simply convert the file back to .xliff, they replied this, quoting the client:

"I can convert sdlxliff to ttx but after this I cannot convert ttx to xliff."

Any help still appreciated, thanks.

[Edited at 2020-03-24 17:17 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
But why can't your client Mar 24, 2020

just send you an XLIFF without any further conversion?

[Edited at 2020-03-24 17:26 GMT]

Stepan Konev

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
I'll inquire about that. Mar 24, 2020

Natalie wrote:

just send you an XLIFF without any further conversion?

[Edited at 2020-03-24 17:26 GMT]

I'll ask them. To me it seems they are not in charge of file formatting but someone else is with whom they have problems easily or quickly coordinating and communicating. That would be simplest things to do, then I could just run them through my TM and got new direct xliff files. Going to check if this can be done, thanks.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
XLIFF in - XLIFF out Mar 24, 2020

Just try explaining your client that you can only return them the file in the same format that you receive from them. If they send you XLIFF - you will send them XLIFF. If they send DOCX - you will send them DOCX. And so on.

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:46
English to Russian
No way Mar 24, 2020

Lingua 5B wrote:
...quoting the client:

Even your client—who converted xliff to ttx—cannot convert ttx back to xliff, then why do they think you can?
Not only you have to know how they obtained ttx from xliff, but also you need that conversion tool installed on your computer and have the source (xliff) file at hand. (I mean conversion 'source' here, not translation source.)

[Edited at 2020-03-24 18:01 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Agree. Mar 24, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:
...quoting the client:

Even your client—who converted xliff to ttx—cannot convert ttx back to xliff, then why do they think you can?
Not only you have to know how they obtained ttx from xliff, but also you need that conversion tool installed on your computer and have the source (xliff) file at hand. (I mean conversion 'source' here, not translation source.)

[Edited at 2020-03-24 18:01 GMT]

Agree with you, but they are claiming native file is .xliff, how can that be a native file?

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
It is Mar 24, 2020

Lingua 5B wrote:
they are claiming native file is .xliff, how can that be a native file?

the native file for the CAT tool they use (what do they use, you say, Wordbee? Then it is the native file for Wordbee)

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Trados 2014. Mar 24, 2020

Natalie wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:
they are claiming native file is .xliff, how can that be a native file?

the native file for the CAT tool they use (what do they use, you say, Wordbee? Then it is the native file for Wordbee)

They told me they used Trados 2014. Whether they started using something else along with it, I don't know. The thing is they sent many files of the same kind/format in the past and I always managed to save it as xliff. This time something is different although the extension seems exactly the same.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Sorry Mar 24, 2020

Wordbee is mentioned in the 1st post in this thread which isn't yours, sorry for the mess.

Well, if they have Studio (whichever version), they should have normal SDLXLIFF files, NOT XLIFF. There is no need to convert the files to any other format.

Looks like your client isn't too familiar with the tools they use, hence your problems.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting SDLXLIFF to .XLIFF

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »