Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How can I select in one click source or target segment in Studio 2011 - Editor view?
Thread poster: Macaron
Macaron
Macaron
Local time: 17:30
English to French
Jan 5, 2012

Hi all,

is there a geek who found a smart way to select in one click either the source segment or the target segment in Editor view (Studio 2011)?
I could not set any new shortcut in the Tools/Keyboard shortcuts as this is not an option offered in the list of shortcuts.
I could not find a procedure to create this type of keyboard shortcut.

So I would be very grateful if someone has the trick and can share it, especially as mouseovering is very bad for my car
... See more
Hi all,

is there a geek who found a smart way to select in one click either the source segment or the target segment in Editor view (Studio 2011)?
I could not set any new shortcut in the Tools/Keyboard shortcuts as this is not an option offered in the list of shortcuts.
I could not find a procedure to create this type of keyboard shortcut.

So I would be very grateful if someone has the trick and can share it, especially as mouseovering is very bad for my carpal tunnel syndrome
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:30
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If you mean switching between source and target column Jan 5, 2012

then use F6, which is the default shortcut for this.
Selecting words or text parts in each column works then with the keyboard exactly the same way as in Word.

Macaron
Macaron
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
selecting segments in trados Jan 5, 2012

HI,
no I do not mean this, I am already using F6 a lot
I mean "selecting" the segment, i.e. being able to copy it for example.
hope someone has the trick

Macaron
Macaron
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
F6 is not the answer Jan 5, 2012

hi,
and you will notice that ctrl+A does not work in the source segment column...

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use copy source to target Jan 5, 2012

for copying the whole segment - CTRL+INS by default.
CTRL+A does work only on target side AFAIR.

Macaron
Macaron
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
the question is not copying source into target Jan 5, 2012

Hi,
I tried CTRL+Ins : nothing happens, this does not select the source segment, sorry
and I am not trying to copy source to target (this is done with F4)

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
So I do not know any solution for the problem Jan 5, 2012

which I btw not fully understand.
Copy source to target is in default CTRL+INS. If you say F4, I do not argue - shortucts in Studio can be modified, so I in fact do not remember most default settings, because I use customized.

So if no of the options discussed here fits, what do you really expect to do?
You do not want to copy the whole segment. Point taken.
You know how to copy source to target. Point taken.
You know how to move back and forth between source
... See more
which I btw not fully understand.
Copy source to target is in default CTRL+INS. If you say F4, I do not argue - shortucts in Studio can be modified, so I in fact do not remember most default settings, because I use customized.

So if no of the options discussed here fits, what do you really expect to do?
You do not want to copy the whole segment. Point taken.
You know how to copy source to target. Point taken.
You know how to move back and forth between source and target. Point taken.
So putting all this together: you know how to move cursor to source. As soon the cursor is there you can select words in source with keyboard exactly the same way you would do that in Word. Then you can press CTRL+C, move to target and press CTRL+V.
What do you need more?
Collapse

Macaron
Macaron
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
blind and deaf Jan 5, 2012

hi,

thanks for all your time and efforts.

I want to select a whole source segment with a click (or a keyboard shortcut like CTRL+A) : there is none now that I know of....

Regarding the target segment: I know the keyboard shortcut CTRL+A, that is not a single click selection, but it works. I was hoping for something faster.

I used for years SDLX where you just need to click next to the segment to select it (either source OR target) : can't find
... See more
hi,

thanks for all your time and efforts.

I want to select a whole source segment with a click (or a keyboard shortcut like CTRL+A) : there is none now that I know of....

Regarding the target segment: I know the keyboard shortcut CTRL+A, that is not a single click selection, but it works. I was hoping for something faster.

I used for years SDLX where you just need to click next to the segment to select it (either source OR target) : can't find the equivalent in Trados studio 2011.

the issue is workflow, speeding my translation process

still looking for THE geek !!!
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Target: CTRL+A Jan 5, 2012

But why do you need to select the whole source segment?
What shall be the purpose of it?
If you want to copy source to target, use the shortuct you know.
And what would be any else purpose of selecting the whole source segment?

Macaron
Macaron
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
nosy Jan 5, 2012

hi,
because there is a bug in Translation results window, and Trados support has not been able to fix it, baaaaaaaaaa
I need to select the source segment in order to hit F7..... if you want to know the whole story

Macaron
Macaron
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
duh not baaaaaaaaaa Jan 5, 2012

sorry, I am tired, too much work
I meant "duh" not "baaaaaaaaaa" !!!

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
User profile may be the solution Jan 5, 2012

If you wish to use the same shortcuts as in SDLX, you may want to create a different user profile (it is rather useful to check the manuals sometimes...)

Overview: User Profiles
All setting and preference selections are stored in your user profile. Your profile contains:

Keyboard shortcuts.

Details of where you have chosen to position the windows in each of the views.

Your chosen look and feel.

All of the settings you have defined in the Options dialog box.

Only one profile can be active at any time; however, you can create multiple profiles and switch between them. You can export your user profile to a file for sharing with other users or for you to take with you when you use SDL Trados Studio on a different computer. You could also create profiles for use with different customers. This means that you can have a number of profiles and switch between them.

SDLX and SDL Trados User Profiles
If you are an SDLX or SDL Trados user, there are special user profiles that you can choose. These profiles enable you to use SDLX or SDL Trados keyboard shortcuts in SDL Trados Studio and also to have similar pre-translation and translation settings to those you had previously.

Choosing a User Profile
The first time that you start SDL Trados Studio, you are asked to choose a profile before the application opens in the SDL Trados Studio Setup wizard. This profile will continue to be used until you select a different profile.

To view the currently selected profile or to select a different profile, select Tools > Manage User Profiles from the menu bar. The Manage User Profiles wizard is displayed. From here you can view your current profile, export your profile and switch profiles.

http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL_Trados_Studio_2011/client_en/User_Profile.htm

Macaron
Macaron
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
still hoping Jan 5, 2012

thanks so much for this suggestion,
I am already using a SDLX profile, and this did not solve my problem, as in SDLX the "select source segment" is not linked to a profile, it is a structural feature, that allows you to click next to the segment.
it is not a keyboard shortcut.
So your suggestion, very wise, is not a solution
thanks so much for your support.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Check the list of keyboard shortcuts Jan 5, 2012

Alt+Space = Select row
Ctrl+Shift+Up = Select next row content
Ctrl+Shift+Down = Select previous row content

If you will check the HELP you will wind the way to edit the shortcuts, if you wish.

Macaron
Macaron
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
is there someone Jan 6, 2012

reading my posts carefully....?

I do not want to select a row,
I need to select a segment, specifically the "source segment"... because (see previous posts)

there is no possibility to edit a keyboard shortcut, as it does not exist in the list...
there is no possibility to create from scratch a keyboard shortcut, you can only modify one in the proposed list....

so no, this is not the answer to my question,
thanks

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I select in one click source or target segment in Studio 2011 - Editor view?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »