SDL Trados Studio quotation marks
Thread poster: Stephen Carlin
Stephen Carlin
Stephen Carlin
Local time: 07:14
French to English
+ ...
Jan 20, 2011

Can anyone advise me how to get curved or "smart quotation marks" rather than these straight ones when using Trados Studio?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Depends on file format Jan 20, 2011

In some file formats a a quick insert is defined at CTRL+6 (not numerical), which inserts „“.
For some file formats you can define your own quick insert.

Othewise use
ALT+0132 for „
ALT+0145 for ‘
ALT+0146 for ’
ALT+0147 for “
ALT+0148 for ”

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:14
German to English
+ ...
No automated setting? May 18, 2011

Hi Jerzy,

I was wondering the same thing today. I already figured out how to insert double curly quotes from the menu, but noticed there is no short cut for single quotes. Is there no setting (like in Word's autocorrect) where you can actually tell Studio to automatically type curly quotes (both single and double) when you type them on the keyboard. The reason I ask is because it always proves to be a big hassle to have to use the shortcut Alt+0146 for apostrophes and it would be re
... See more
Hi Jerzy,

I was wondering the same thing today. I already figured out how to insert double curly quotes from the menu, but noticed there is no short cut for single quotes. Is there no setting (like in Word's autocorrect) where you can actually tell Studio to automatically type curly quotes (both single and double) when you type them on the keyboard. The reason I ask is because it always proves to be a big hassle to have to use the shortcut Alt+0146 for apostrophes and it would be really nice if I could just type a apostrophe and get a curly one, particularly as curly quotes and apostrophes do seem to be more commonly used in English - at least among my customers. If this feature doesn't exist, do you know if Studio plan on implementing it. It would certainly be nice to just be able to tick a box as you can in other software.

Thank you very much!

Sarah
Collapse

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
there are three icons for different quotation marks May 18, 2011

There are three differnt icons for quotation marks and a lot of other things like forced small caps on the third line at the top of the screen in Studio. Click on teh one you like and both the right and left marks appear, then you type the text in between.

pgschreier
pgschreier  Identity Verified
Switzerland
German to English
apostrophe? Aug 16, 2011

On the menu, I see the icons for quotes, but is there an easy way to insert a "curly" apostrophe ("9")?

Or how do I go about assigning that to the Ctl-9 combo?

-- Paul

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:14
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Use good keyboard layout Aug 17, 2011

Such as Ilya Birman’s.

Marc Rizkallah
Marc Rizkallah  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Has this been implemented yet? Apr 25, 2013

Almost two years later, I second Sarah's request. It would be nice for this to happen automatically when typing, without me having to click a button on the ribbon every time.

Marc Rizkallah
Marc Rizkallah  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Still nothing? Aug 31, 2014

And searching for this issue online, I came across my own feature request a year and a half ago...!

Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Use charmap Jun 18, 2016

I've used charmap (type "charmap" in Windows' start menu) to get the characters I want, such as quotation marks in my native language's format. Not the most convenient, but the only method I know works so far, to copy and paste from charmap.

Scott Graham
Scott Graham
Local time: 06:14
German to English
Agreed - still not resolved May 31, 2017

I agree completely. It's mid 2017 and this "feature" is still missing from Trados

It feels like the Trados development team are too focused on the agencies and not enough on the actual translators (especially when you see what passes for a 90% match in Studio2017!)

[Edited at 2017-05-31 14:42 GMT]

Elena Carbonell
Terry Ezra

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:14
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Actually, in Studio 2017 you do get "smart quotes" Jun 1, 2017

scottgraham wrote:

I agree completely. It's mid 2017 and this "feature" is still missing from Trados

It feels like the Trados development team are too focused on the agencies and not enough on the actual translators (especially when you see what passes for a 90% match in Studio2017!)

[Edited at 2017-05-31 14:42 GMT]

Studio 2017 does offer "smart" (i.e. curly) quotes.

Luca Pesenti
Luca Pesenti
Italy
Problem solved - editor option Jul 17, 2018

Hi everybody,

Please check your Editor options:

File -> Options -> Editor -> Auto-correct -> Replace straight quotes with Smart Quotes.

P.s. Don't be so hard with developers!!!

kempo
kempo
French to English
+ ...
Problem not/partly solved Apr 19, 2019

I still have this problem (Studio 2017). It seems to depend partly on the style of the source segment: in the same document, for no apparent reason, in some segments smart quotes appear automatically as I type, while in other segments of apparently identical format, I cannot type a smart opening quote, they always come out straight.
Incidentally, the default style for Skype, email applications and editing TMs and "this proz text field" seems to be straight quotes. It this the root of the p
... See more
I still have this problem (Studio 2017). It seems to depend partly on the style of the source segment: in the same document, for no apparent reason, in some segments smart quotes appear automatically as I type, while in other segments of apparently identical format, I cannot type a smart opening quote, they always come out straight.
Incidentally, the default style for Skype, email applications and editing TMs and "this proz text field" seems to be straight quotes. It this the root of the problem? Apparently html etc doesn't like smart quotes as they're more complicated than straight (different opening & closing marks). Why is there not a Studio QuickInsert for smart quotes as there is for straight?
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:14
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
AutoHotkey script Apr 23, 2019

If quote replacement isn’t really working for you in Studio, you could try an AutoHotkey script to replace straight quotes with curly ones:

:?*:."::.”
:?*:?"::?”
:?*:;"::;”
:?*:,"::,”
:?*:!"::{!}”
:*:"::“
:?*:"::”
:?*:.'::.’
:?*:?'::?’
:?*:,'::,’
:?*:;'::;’
:?*:!'::{!}’
:*:'::‘
:?*:'::’
:?*:.'::’

If you’re new to AutoHotkey, follow these steps:
... See more
If quote replacement isn’t really working for you in Studio, you could try an AutoHotkey script to replace straight quotes with curly ones:

If you’re new to AutoHotkey, follow these steps:

1. Download AutoHotkey (www.autohotkey.com) and install it. Once installed, you won't see anything open, that's normal. AutoHotkey runs in the background and allows you to run your own scripts (macros).

2. Go to a folder in Windows Explorer where you would like to save your script (I have a folder called AutoHotkey Scripts just to keep them all in one place). Right-click on an empty space in the folder and select New-AutoHotkey Script. Give a name to your script and save it.

So far, you have the empty "skeleton" of a script. Now you need to enter the actions you want it to execute.

3. Right-click on the script and select Open, then open it with a text editor, such as Notepad (I prefer Notepad++, available for free).

4. Once the file is open, paste the following:

5. Save the file. Now double-click the file, and this will load the script. Look for a green square with a white H in it in your system tray, which indicates that the script is active. Now, whenever you type straight quotes, they will be replaced by curly quotes. To disable the script, right-click on the green icon and select Exit.
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:14
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
An excellent quotation macro Apr 23, 2019

I forgot to add in my previous post that there’s an excellent quotation macro by Jesus Prieto, which can be found here (in Spanish):

https://www.gonduana.com/comillas-con-autohotkey/

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio quotation marks

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »