https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_passolo/334223-in_sdl_passolo_2016_translator_editions_free_how_can_i_do_concordance_searches.html

In SDL Passolo 2016 Translator editions (free), how can I do Concordance searches?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 01:08
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 20, 2019

I have the string list opened and have begun translating the first strings by double-clicking the red text to translate and then hitting Enter. Then there is a small window called Translation furthest down to the left in the main window in Passolo. In this window, there is a drop-down menu where Fuzzy translation is pre-selected. There are question marks for source and target language which I would like to keep if possible to do Concordance searches for all languages as this is a multi-language ... See more
I have the string list opened and have begun translating the first strings by double-clicking the red text to translate and then hitting Enter. Then there is a small window called Translation furthest down to the left in the main window in Passolo. In this window, there is a drop-down menu where Fuzzy translation is pre-selected. There are question marks for source and target language which I would like to keep if possible to do Concordance searches for all languages as this is a multi-language project.

However, I haven't understood how to finally do the Concordance search. Is there another window I should use for Concordance searches than this small window I have now inside the main Passolo window? If not, how to initiate a Concordance search here, and what other settings are necessary?

About the actual translation process in Passolo, I am translating directly in the translation list now according to SDL's instructions here:

https://docs.sdl.com/LiveContent/content/en-US/SDL%20Passolo%20Help-v2/#addHistory=true&filename=GUID-AE8DADC4-AE34-4E32-BEAC-F23586BA1DAE.xml&docid=GUID-39E64C33-48E8-4FD8-97B3-13473376C491&inner_id=&tid=&query=&scope=&resource=&toc=false&eventType=lcContent.loadDocGUID-39E64C33-48E8-4FD8-97B3-13473376C491

But in this ProZ.com Forum posting, Uwe says that normally I should work in the translation window and not in the translation list:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_passolo/255067-is_passolo_the_most_useless_and_stupid_tool_ever.html

I easily open this translation list by double-clicking on a string in the list. Instead of doing this, is there another way of getting to the translation window for a string in the list instead?

It seems like I should use Shift+F8:

http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL_Passolo_2016/en/html/Appendix/KeyCombinations.htm

[Edited at 2019-04-20 03:49 GMT]

It seems the translation window is also in the main window, furthest down on the screen, and that's the place where I should perform the translation. Just seems odd I should select the tab Properties and that's where I perform the translation.

Is it possible to validate the translation directly when translating by pressing Ctrl+T? Instead of first pressing Enter to get the green checkmark?

[Edited at 2019-04-20 03:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-04-20 05:14 GMT]

Strange, but now when I do fuzzy search by highlighting the source term in the translation window furthest down and click Ctrl+F8 I get no hit even though I just translated the term. Earlier, I got a hit when doing the same procedure, but not now.

[Edited at 2019-04-20 05:16 GMT] But it works when I instead click on the button Find fuzzy translations I just discovered...

[Edited at 2019-04-20 05:17 GMT]

No, for a term I just translated, this is not found even when clicking on the button Find fuzzy translations. It worked for one term I translated a few rows before, but not for another term I also translated a few rows before...

[Edited at 2019-04-20 07:53 GMT]

The best seems to be to use the button Find concordances in the translation window.

[Edited at 2019-04-20 08:17 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Myron Netchypor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In SDL Passolo 2016 Translator editions (free), how can I do Concordance searches?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »