Thread poster: L10N expert (X)
L10N expert (X)
L10N expert (X)
Brazil
Local time: 17:01
English
Jan 23, 2015

Hi,

I have never translated any resx file in Passolo yet and was wondering how does the preview function work? Can I see a preview for every single resx file? Or only some resx files have preview function? Can you please shed some light on it? I will be working on localization of big software project where I would need to pay special attention to character limitation. Will I be able to review all translated files in Passolo so that client will not need to get back to me with request
... See more
Hi,

I have never translated any resx file in Passolo yet and was wondering how does the preview function work? Can I see a preview for every single resx file? Or only some resx files have preview function? Can you please shed some light on it? I will be working on localization of big software project where I would need to pay special attention to character limitation. Will I be able to review all translated files in Passolo so that client will not need to get back to me with requests to abbreviate strings?

Thanks!
Collapse

Achim Herrmann
Achim Herrmann
Local time: 22:01
English to German
Some infos Jan 28, 2015

Hello Valeriia,

Some RESX files may contain static layout information that can be visualized, other files may contain StringTable resources only that do not have any layout data. This also depends on the type of software and the methods that the developers have used. If static layout is available it can be displayed, you can change the layout and check for text truncations. Then you can decide to abbreviate or to resize the control. This depends on what you have agreed with the clie
... See more
Hello Valeriia,

Some RESX files may contain static layout information that can be visualized, other files may contain StringTable resources only that do not have any layout data. This also depends on the type of software and the methods that the developers have used. If static layout is available it can be displayed, you can change the layout and check for text truncations. Then you can decide to abbreviate or to resize the control. This depends on what you have agreed with the client.

Please note that localizing RESX files has some restrictions, due to the fact that MS doesn't store all the information that is necessary to properly visualize (i.e. no menu structures and no third party controls) into the RESX files. From a technical point of view binary localization is recommended.

In general proper .NET localization is quite technical and to reduce the project costs the software manufacturer should take over the technical parts and properly plan and prepare such projects instead of pushing these tasks to single translators.

Achim Herrmann
SDL Passolo Business Consultant
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Myron Netchypor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

preview function in Passolo

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »