Announcing SDL Passolo 2015
Thread poster: SDL_Robert
SDL_Robert
SDL_Robert
United Kingdom
Oct 8, 2014

The latest version of our award-winning software localization tool is here!

SDL Passolo 2015 delivers improved user experience, access to innovative machine translation services, better terminology management and extended language support through a new intuitive user interface.

Enhanced user experience

• Ribbon-based navigation allows you to intuitively access functionality and help resources. All translation tools and features are organized into logical groups for quick and easy access.
  • Customizable quick access toolbar. Easily create shortcuts to frequently used commands by adding them to the Quick Access Toolbar.
  • Assign keyboard shortcuts to commands to create preferred keyboard combinations.

Connection to machine translation

SDL Passolo 2015 features full connectivity with SDL’s new machine translation (MT) offering within the SDL Language Cloud. Access the SDL Language Cloud to get easy access to industry-specific machine translation engines as well as personal dictionaries directly from within the SDL Passolo user interface. It’s a great way for translators to leverage secure, high-quality machine translations for their post-editing needs in Passolo. Users can access SDL Language Cloud MT services by using their SDL My Account credentials or an API key for shared access to the same engines.

SDL Passolo can also connect to Microsoft Bing Translator and Google Translate (with some enhancements for Chinese language support), providing customers with a rich choice for their preferred machine translation provider.

Rich support of file formats

SDL Passolo 2015 provides rich support for a number of file formats and languages. From the latest Microsoft .NET file filters to sophisticated parsers supporting the localization of mobile applications, you can work on a wide range of software localization projects across all SDL Passolo editions. See the full list by downloading our SDL Passolo File Formats document.

Extended language support

Passolo 2015 features additional support for more than 25 new languages, including support for Indic languages. All new languages work on both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

Rich support for terminology

Improved integration with MultiTerm brings the following features:

• Ability to identify preferred and forbidden terms. SDL Passolo 2015 can now indicate preferred and forbidden terms, ensuring that translators will always use the preferred terminology and avoid problematic terms in their translation. Users can do that by simply configuring the attribute fields in SDL MultiTerm and Passolo.
  • A new quality check that will flag when translators use forbidden terms. This quality check can be customized by configuring the corresponding attribute field.
  • Customize the term display in the terminology window. Any fields (such as gender, status, type, and customer) can be displayed next to the known terms so that translators can view essential information before inserting term translations.

These are just some of the new features of SDL Passolo 2015. To learn more, visit our website, try a free evaluation version, or check out the OpenExchange for SDL Passolo apps.

Edwin den Boer
Edwin den Boer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:03
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
Opening your own file formats would be a nice feature May 12, 2015

So the paid version still won't open licensed translation bundles.
Why should I pay to get a crippled program?

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:03
English to Swedish
+ ...
What awards has it won? Jul 31, 2015

You call it an "award-winning" tool. What awards has it won?

As a translator, I have extremely bad experiences using Passolo in the past and I have difficulty imagining anyone would give any awards to this so-called tool.

Thomas

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:03
English to Swedish
+ ...
Cannot find any awards Jul 31, 2015

Thomas Johansson wrote:

You call it an "award-winning" tool. What awards has it won?

As a translator, I have extremely bad experiences using Passolo in the past and I have difficulty imagining anyone would give any awards to this so-called tool.

Thomas

I've been googling a little bit (not much) and checked both the Passolo webpage and the Wikipedia article about Passolo, but so far I haven't been able to find any details about any awards.

Thomas

[Edited at 2015-07-31 01:03 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Myron Netchypor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing SDL Passolo 2015

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »