Thread poster: Fabio Hirata
Fabio Hirata
Fabio Hirata  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:33
English to Portuguese
Apr 17, 2012

Hello!

I'm running Passolo 2011 (11.4) and I'm facing trouble when generating target .resx files.

I need to retain some of the original strings on the target file, but when I generate it, they do not appear regardless of the setup made in 'Project Settings' and 'String Settings'.

Passolo does not allow Advanced Target File Options for .resx files, so I can't use the Keep original resources option.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in adva
... See more
Hello!

I'm running Passolo 2011 (11.4) and I'm facing trouble when generating target .resx files.

I need to retain some of the original strings on the target file, but when I generate it, they do not appear regardless of the setup made in 'Project Settings' and 'String Settings'.

Passolo does not allow Advanced Target File Options for .resx files, so I can't use the Keep original resources option.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Achim Herrmann
Achim Herrmann
Local time: 18:33
English to German
Please configure the project correctly Apr 18, 2012

Hello Fabio,

when writing
I need to retain some of the original strings on the target file

I assume that you are expecting to see un-translated strings written to the target file. Please note that this is not necessary. The localization concept of Microsoft .NET doesn’t require to have un-translated strings in the target file. In case of missing strings the Microsoft .NET Framework simply uses the original string from the source. (Java has similar concepts.) So a generated translated RESX file with missing un-translated source strings is valid and doesn’t break the localization process or the translated software.

This is the default behavior. You can change it by selecting all the source RESX files in your project, then open the Source List Settings dialog and click on Setup. In the upcoming .NET Parser Settings, deactivate the option Write only changed information.

Please download the latest service release to get the latest patches for the .NET add-in.

Achim Herrmann
SDL Passolo Business Consultant

Fabio Hirata
Fabio Hirata  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:33
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Will try Apr 19, 2012

Thanks for heads-up, Achim!

But it's strange to see a target file being generated missing source strings. I mean, after generating the file and opening it with .NET Resourcer, for example, it is clear that something went wrong because only the translated strings are there.

I will try that tomorrow to see if it works.

Thanks again!

icylave
icylave  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:33
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Very helpful! Oct 9, 2014

It solved my same problem.

Thanks, Achim.

Achim Herrmann wrote:

Hello Fabio,

when writing
I need to retain some of the original strings on the target file

I assume that you are expecting to see un-translated strings written to the target file. Please note that this is not necessary. The localization concept of Microsoft .NET doesn’t require to have un-translated strings in the target file. In case of missing strings the Microsoft .NET Framework simply uses the original string from the source. (Java has similar concepts.) So a generated translated RESX file with missing un-translated source strings is valid and doesn’t break the localization process or the translated software.

This is the default behavior. You can change it by selecting all the source RESX files in your project, then open the Source List Settings dialog and click on Setup. In the upcoming .NET Parser Settings, deactivate the option Write only changed information.

Please download the latest service release to get the latest patches for the .NET add-in.

Achim Herrmann
SDL Passolo Business Consultant

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Myron Netchypor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passolo generated .resx missing source strings

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »