Margreet Mohle  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:46
Member (2010)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 26, 2021

Hi all,

Just a low-level scam. Got contacted by a Daniel (in later email identified as Daniel Brzezinski) via Proz. with request for a quote on the translation of a wedding caterer's menu (Daniel et Daniel, out of Toronto). Catering company is legit and got back on my inquiry within minutes - request for translation was a scam.

Key points: different email address and offer to pay 50% upfront by certified cheque - really? For a 2000 word translation...

Just
... See more
Hi all,

Just a low-level scam. Got contacted by a Daniel (in later email identified as Daniel Brzezinski) via Proz. with request for a quote on the translation of a wedding caterer's menu (Daniel et Daniel, out of Toronto). Catering company is legit and got back on my inquiry within minutes - request for translation was a scam.

Key points: different email address and offer to pay 50% upfront by certified cheque - really? For a 2000 word translation...

Just one request, fairly easily spotted, but if it can help anyone...

Take care,

Margreet
Collapse

expressisverbis
Liviu-Lee Roth
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Hristina Dojčinova
Dalia Nour

Hristina Dojčinova
Hristina Dojčinova  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Scam request for translation by Daniel Brzezinski Apr 27, 2021

Ditto!

In my case it was a request for translation into Macedonian for the same document plus a Briefing Paper on Loot boxes in video games...

Margreet, did you respond to "Daniel Brzezinski" at all?

Regards,

Hristina

Margreet Mohle wrote:

Hi all,

Just one request, fairly easily spotted, but if it can help anyone...

Take care,

Margreet

Adrian MM.
Adrian MM.
Austria
Spanish to English
+ ...
what's in a name - misuse of famous ones Apr 28, 2021

The late Zbigniew Kazimierz Brzeziński had been a respected Polish-American adviser to President Jimmy Carter during the Cold War. Hijacking of his surname ought to have set off alarm bells, as should combinations and permutations of the names of famous sportsmen and women, especially football stars, but who may have faded from public view,

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
It's a generic Polish last name May 1, 2021

Adrian MM. wrote:

The late Zbigniew Kazimierz Brzeziński had been a respected Polish-American adviser to President Jimmy Carter during the Cold War. Hijacking of his surname ought to have set off alarm bells, as should combinations and permutations of the names of famous sportsmen and women, especially football stars, but who may have faded from public view,

Other than a combination of consonants memorably incomprehensible to the Western ear, there's really nothing special about it.

Just another birch-themed Eastern European last name.... from a region chock-full of birch.

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:46
English to Czech
+ ...
And your point is...? May 4, 2021

Adieu wrote:

Other than a combination of consonants memorably incomprehensible to the Western ear, there's really nothing special about it.

Just another birch-themed Eastern European last name.... from a region chock-full of birch.

So we should believe a namesake of the famous Brzezinski is genuinely requesting a translation here?

Scammers often use names of famous people because they're dumb and therefore unable to come up with an ordinary name in the original language. Where they try, the results are largely ridiculous (plenty of examples for this on www.translator-scammers.com).

Margreet Mohle
Margreet Mohle  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2010)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not after getting the documents May 4, 2021

[quote]Hristina Dojčinova wrote:

Ditto!

In my case it was a request for translation into Macedonian for the same document plus a Briefing Paper on Loot boxes in video games...

Margreet, did you respond to "Daniel Brzezinski" at all?

Regards,

Hristina

Hi Hristina,

I responded to the Proz. message (which just asked for availability). After getting the documents, no. I also got the Briefing Paper. The combination of the two set off alarm bells, as well as the offer for advance payment with a certified cheque.

They didn't contact me again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam request for translation Daniel Brzezinski

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »