Thread poster: SWAITY DAS
SWAITY DAS
SWAITY DAS
India
Hindi to Bengali
+ ...
Aug 23, 2020

Hello ProZ.com members,

1. I was previously (08-17-2020) contacted by a person (named Olaw Micheal) after getting my email contact from Proz.com regarding an English to Bengali translation project for freelance. I was initially agreed to do the project after going through the sent word file. I was unaware of any such scam previously.

2. The person (Olaw) asked me about the payment procedure for the project. Keeping in mind about a meager sum I have emailed the person my
... See more
Hello ProZ.com members,

1. I was previously (08-17-2020) contacted by a person (named Olaw Micheal) after getting my email contact from Proz.com regarding an English to Bengali translation project for freelance. I was initially agreed to do the project after going through the sent word file. I was unaware of any such scam previously.

2. The person (Olaw) asked me about the payment procedure for the project. Keeping in mind about a meager sum I have emailed the person my bank account number and branch associated particulars.

3. Within 2 days they sent me a cheque (of Signature Bank, NY) from “Richmond Garden Springs LLC, NJ” of total amount of $1950, which is way beyond the project value. They added that it includes the sum for next project too.

4. After being victim of threat call where I was threatened to be killed, and receiving the cheque
on the very same day raised my suspicion of the credibility of the particular company in discussion.

5. Despite of best efforts I could not find any trace of the person sending email, signatory of the cheque or the company over internet search. Searching the proz.com with the email address in question ([email protected]) I found one more instance of scam of very similar manner reported on August 18. 2020.

6. I immediately reported to Police.

7. As I have stopped conversation with that party after they raised suspicion, they continued to bother me for submitting the cheque to my account repeatedly.

8. Now they are accusing me (call it a threat) of reporting for taking away of the money, although I did not submit the check and confirmed that it is a scam.

9. They emphasized all throughout out to send the deposit number through text to confirm the submission of cheque in bank account.

10. Till date they used all these to contact me. Rather it is simply to harass and harm me.

I would like to request all the ProZ.com users to be aware from these kind of frauds.

Hereby I am sending that person's details whatever I got through mail.

Olaw Micheal
4612 County Rd 616 #3
Alvarado, TX 76009, USA
817-790-9902
Phone: +1 817 790 9902
+1 817 790 9220
email: [email protected]
Collapse

Bajram Djambazi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam from [email protected]

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »