Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Etienne Lehoux-Jobin
Etienne Lehoux-Jobin  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:27
English to French
+ ...
Same scam, different sender... Apr 23, 2021

A few days ago, I received an email from Katherine Kotacska ([email protected]) sent from OTTIAQ's (Québec Translators' Association) member directory. The email seemed legit, but I somehow feared a scam, so I googled a few lines from the document she sent me, and that's how I ended up here. The document begins thus: "LUKSO Organization Creative Research Phase 1". I found this blog post... See more
A few days ago, I received an email from Katherine Kotacska ([email protected]) sent from OTTIAQ's (Québec Translators' Association) member directory. The email seemed legit, but I somehow feared a scam, so I googled a few lines from the document she sent me, and that's how I ended up here. The document begins thus: "LUKSO Organization Creative Research Phase 1". I found this blog post (https://atasavvynewcomer.org/2018/05/22/how-to-identify-and-avoid-translation-scammers/) useful in detecting potential translation scammers. Anyway, don't fall for that scam!Collapse

Alicia Chiasson
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Anna Marshak
Anna Marshak  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:27
English to Russian
Same scam - different sender Apr 26, 2021

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for sharing this information. I am grateful because I was able to recognize a scammer at very beginning.
My case - English-Russian translation for the document "RESEARCH PROCEDURES OF COMMUNITY STUDENTS PHASE 1":

I am contacting you for my document translation from English to Russian formal version and I would like to
know if you are available to get it done for me? Get back to me for further details. Thanks
... See more
Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for sharing this information. I am grateful because I was able to recognize a scammer at very beginning.
My case - English-Russian translation for the document "RESEARCH PROCEDURES OF COMMUNITY STUDENTS PHASE 1":

I am contacting you for my document translation from English to Russian formal version and I would like to
know if you are available to get it done for me? Get back to me for further details. Thanks

Author: Sean Bednar
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 5.183.92.176

Sean J. Bednar
4300 Public Works Drive, Chattanooga, TN 37421
‪(423) 788-6032‬

He offered to pay with a cashier check or bank certified check.
Collapse

That was a close call... May 18, 2021

I am a new member of OTTIAQ and brand new to freelancing, and I fell for this scam. I caught on quite late... but not too late, at least. It's a cheque scam. This person sends you a "certified cheque" for way more than you quoted and say that it's because she's also paying you in advance for "phase 2 of the research". I may have been dumb enough to accept the project, but fortunately I'm not dumb enough to cash in a cheque for three times what I quoted for or for work that I have not assessed at... See more
I am a new member of OTTIAQ and brand new to freelancing, and I fell for this scam. I caught on quite late... but not too late, at least. It's a cheque scam. This person sends you a "certified cheque" for way more than you quoted and say that it's because she's also paying you in advance for "phase 2 of the research". I may have been dumb enough to accept the project, but fortunately I'm not dumb enough to cash in a cheque for three times what I quoted for or for work that I have not assessed at all.

Thank God, I only lost some of my weekend time! Freelancing is only a way to supplement my income from my full-time job. This would be much worse for someone who freelances for their main source of income... but they would probably know better!

I will be reporting this to the RCMP tonight. Lesson learned: don't accept any requests from a Gmail account. Other newbies, stay vigilant!

Cheers, everyone!
Collapse

Kristina Campbell

SILVIE CAREY
SILVIE CAREY
United States
English to German
+ ...
SCAM German into English same story May 21, 2021

Hi, All. This SCAM is unfortunately still around, as of right now 5/20/2021 - do they never give up??!! And what do they really expect?? I was contacted by a "Lily Charlotte" from Baltimore, Maryland US a few days ago, asking if I can translate the same here mentioned 40 pages document in German into English (is this a Google translate doc?). She (he, they?) contacted my without a registered ProZ profile, offering me the translation gig for a "soon upcoming seminar". The document actually sounde... See more
Hi, All. This SCAM is unfortunately still around, as of right now 5/20/2021 - do they never give up??!! And what do they really expect?? I was contacted by a "Lily Charlotte" from Baltimore, Maryland US a few days ago, asking if I can translate the same here mentioned 40 pages document in German into English (is this a Google translate doc?). She (he, they?) contacted my without a registered ProZ profile, offering me the translation gig for a "soon upcoming seminar". The document actually sounded interesting (how do you avoid miscommunication in companies etc.), but I was suspicious right away when "she" accepted my rate-offer immediately, no questions, upfront, no personal information, I'll send you a check, you have one month from now, no questions about format, or anything, it all seemed very "different". Alarm flags!! Then, I thought okay, maybe they are really just university seminar private people, they want to send me a check upfront to be sure - what can go wrong? Gave her/him my address (no bank info requested). I was still very suspicious, so for some reason just looked up the first paragraph, copied it to Google, and right away it came up as a scam with a link to this forum!! Amazing! So I'm grateful that I won't spend my time on translating this BS for zero, waste of time! Still wondering, how does this scam really work when some poor translator really does this job and tries to cash the check? Anyways, just wanting to warn everyone here: Be AWARE of this and these kinds of scams! Don't waste your precious time. And always make sure somehow to have a legit personal contact, google the person or company, try to talk on the phone, do everything to make sure that you're spending your needed talent on people and projects that are legit and who really need you and don't scam you! The scammers can go to hell!! Be aware, be careful, be YOU, be intelligent! Don't give scammers a chance!!Collapse

Etienne Lehoux-Jobin
Etienne Lehoux-Jobin  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Same scam, new name... May 27, 2021

Here are the details:

Aijun Yu

"Hello,
I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 28/05/2021. Finally, what would be your preferred mode of payment? Though I'm proposing a certified bank draft, a cas
... See more
Here are the details:

Aijun Yu

"Hello,
I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 28/05/2021. Finally, what would be your preferred mode of payment? Though I'm proposing a certified bank draft, a cashier's check or bank certified check. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.
Best Regards,"
Collapse

Daniel Laguitton (X)
Daniel Laguitton (X)
Canada
English to French
Very same scam from a Aijun Yu, May 27, 2021 May 28, 2021

I received the request through the OTTIAQ website (contact membres) and it sounded fishy from the onset, but I did not get it until I saw how generous the advance payment proposal was with not even a request for an invoice. I then queried the first few lines of the supposed research paper on Google : "For any organization to be effective and efficient in achieving its goals..." and I saw the extent of the scam!

First mail was : Hello, I'm contacting you in regard to an English, co
... See more
I received the request through the OTTIAQ website (contact membres) and it sounded fishy from the onset, but I did not get it until I saw how generous the advance payment proposal was with not even a request for an invoice. I then queried the first few lines of the supposed research paper on Google : "For any organization to be effective and efficient in achieving its goals..." and I saw the extent of the scam!

First mail was : Hello, I'm contacting you in regard to an English, content document with 6,100 words (25 Pages). I need this document translated to French. I would like to know if you are interested and available to get this done for me. Please get back to me as soon as you can
Thank you.

Second mail was : Thank you for your response, I quite agree with your price quote you gave me and I am willing to pay for your service. This project is a research paper being sponsored for a seminar coming up soon, so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so you know you have my job with you. In the meantime, do get back to me with the following payment information in the format below.
1. Full Name to be written on the Check
2. Full Physical Address:
3. Mobile number
Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details. Payment will be received before you send the document. Get back to me asap

Third mail was a reply to my request for a physical address which I believe the forum rule #8 does not allow me to post here. It ended with Canada H9X 2k1

I was tempted to pursue the exchange to see what kind of bogus cheque I would have received, but every extra minute spend dealing with those thieves is a minute lost.
Conclusion
Just beware and do not correct your typos if instead of "scam" you typed "scum".
Collapse

lynncharland
lynncharland
Canada
French to English
FR/EN contract offer ... scam Jun 5, 2021

I did receive an e-mail from Aracely Portilla (Aracely Portilla ) asking me if I could translate a 21-page document from French to English. The proposed payment terms is what rang an alarm with me. Here is the e-mail:

Thank you for your response, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire trans
... See more
I did receive an e-mail from Aracely Portilla (Aracely Portilla ) asking me if I could translate a 21-page document from French to English. The proposed payment terms is what rang an alarm with me. Here is the e-mail:

Thank you for your response, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month and a week starting from 7/June/2021. Finally, I'm proposing a bank draft check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.

The same e-mail appears to be used for "phishing" translators, but with different names.
Collapse

Aaron Marchand

Margaret Sankey
Margaret Sankey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2013)
French to English
LUKSO Organization Creative Research Phase 1 Jun 16, 2021

A scammer who has stolen the name "Aracely Portilla" from a real professional translator also contacted me through the OTTIAQ website.
Document attached: LUKSO Organization Creative Research Phase 1
Excerpt of message: "The deadline for this Project is 1 month and a week starting from 7/June/2021. Finally, I'm proposing a bank draft check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon."
... See more
A scammer who has stolen the name "Aracely Portilla" from a real professional translator also contacted me through the OTTIAQ website.
Document attached: LUKSO Organization Creative Research Phase 1
Excerpt of message: "The deadline for this Project is 1 month and a week starting from 7/June/2021. Finally, I'm proposing a bank draft check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon."
Later, the person wrote that a certified cheque for much more than I had quoted was on its way by UPS, and the cheque actually arrived.
Please note that the real Aracely Portilla, a member of OTTIAQ, is a victim of name theft and is not a perpetrator of this scam.

[Edited at 2021-07-07 17:30 GMT]
Collapse

Diana C. Marquez

Kristina Campbell
Kristina Campbell
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I fell for it (facepalm) Jun 21, 2021

As newly certified translator fresh out of school, I was naive to the thought that people would scam your work!! I fell for it cashed the check and the money is also still in my bank account! They have been contacting me to send back the money claiming their sponsor died of COVID and that the project has been postponed. On my end the check has cleared. I advised the person I would contact the bank to be sure the funds were deposited back in the bank account from which they come. I am not sending... See more
As newly certified translator fresh out of school, I was naive to the thought that people would scam your work!! I fell for it cashed the check and the money is also still in my bank account! They have been contacting me to send back the money claiming their sponsor died of COVID and that the project has been postponed. On my end the check has cleared. I advised the person I would contact the bank to be sure the funds were deposited back in the bank account from which they come. I am not sending any money back and am reporting them to the authorities!!!! hopefully others will see these poste BEWARE LUKSO demand for translation.Collapse

Adieu

Diana C. Marquez
Diana C. Marquez
Canada
Member (2021)
French to English
+ ...
Aracely Portilla Jul 7, 2021

I was also contacted by "Aracely Portilla" through the OTTIAQ directory and I started having doubts when she insisted on a certified cheque, but went along with it anyway. She told me that because of the delay in sending the cheque, the deadline (a month and a week from June 7, 2021) would be extended. This was two weeks ago, and she hasn't contacted me again. I wrote to her two days ago to inquire as to whether she was still interested in pursuing the project and received no reply. After readin... See more
I was also contacted by "Aracely Portilla" through the OTTIAQ directory and I started having doubts when she insisted on a certified cheque, but went along with it anyway. She told me that because of the delay in sending the cheque, the deadline (a month and a week from June 7, 2021) would be extended. This was two weeks ago, and she hasn't contacted me again. I wrote to her two days ago to inquire as to whether she was still interested in pursuing the project and received no reply. After reading all this, I wrote to her a few minutes ago saying I was no longer interested in the project and that no cheque should be sent to me because it would not be deposited.

I'm relieved that all the information I gave her is what is publicly available and nothing else. And I'm glad I saw this thread!
Collapse

Margaret Sankey
Margaret Sankey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2013)
French to English
The name Aracely Portilla belongs to a real translator, who is also a victim Jul 7, 2021

I have just been informed that the name used by the scammer when contacting me belongs to a certified translator from my own area (OTTIAQ member), meaning that the scammer stole the name of a real person rather than just making one up.

That person, Aracely Portilla, is clearly a victim and not involved in the scam.

I am working to modify my post to ensure that the person's name is not unjustly tarnished, but the edit feature is not available after 24h.

lynncharland
lynncharland
Canada
French to English
Addenda to June 5 post Jul 12, 2021

lynncharland wrote:

Thank you for your response, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month and a week starting from 7/June/2021. Finally, I'm proposing a bank draft check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.

The same e-mail appears to be used for "phishing" translators, but with different names.

I would like to specify that I received the e-mail from someone "stating" that his or her name was Ms. Portilla and that I cannot say without a doubt that it was indeed her.

Amy Wu
Amy Wu
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
David Taylor Scam Jul 21, 2021

I just received the same offer, practically copied and pasted from previous posts, from this man called David Taylor on fiverr.
It's to translate Public Organization Procedures (both parts) for a whopping $2.9k.

I said I generally do not begin work until payment has gone through, so he mailed me the check. When i got it in the mail and deposited the check it was declined and I just simply just told him to forget it since his "deadline" was going to pass soon anyway. He tried r
... See more
I just received the same offer, practically copied and pasted from previous posts, from this man called David Taylor on fiverr.
It's to translate Public Organization Procedures (both parts) for a whopping $2.9k.

I said I generally do not begin work until payment has gone through, so he mailed me the check. When i got it in the mail and deposited the check it was declined and I just simply just told him to forget it since his "deadline" was going to pass soon anyway. He tried relentlessly to get me to continue with this project and offered to pay me in some other way but at that point I just figured it's a scam.

Can't believe there's phishing scams out there only targeting translators. Disgusting.
Collapse

Jennifer Lalonde
Jennifer Lalonde  Identity Verified
Canada
French to English
+ ...
Aracely Portilla Oct 4, 2021

I was taken in by this translation request which came through an OTTIAQ referral from Aracely Portilla on September 7th. She accepted my quote for the job and gave a strange due date of "30 days from September 9th." I translated the document and let her know when I was starting my final revision. In the meantime, I had received a cheque for $3,860 from a company that I didn't know. It was sent by FedEx overnight delivery. I had no idea why I had received it. I tried to contact the company on two... See more
I was taken in by this translation request which came through an OTTIAQ referral from Aracely Portilla on September 7th. She accepted my quote for the job and gave a strange due date of "30 days from September 9th." I translated the document and let her know when I was starting my final revision. In the meantime, I had received a cheque for $3,860 from a company that I didn't know. It was sent by FedEx overnight delivery. I had no idea why I had received it. I tried to contact the company on two occasions with no response to my voice messages. Aracely then informed me, by email, that the cheque had come from her...paying in advance the amount for the second phase of the project. I subsequently received an "URGENT" email, asking to send the amount for the second phase back, as the project had been delayed. This was about $2,875! I finally read the posts in this forum and realized I was not the only one who had been targeted. I even received a second cheque for $3,860 from a different company on October 1st, by FedEx. This scheme is still very much alive!!!

[Edited at 2021-10-04 15:56 GMT]
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Chris Chen
Chris Chen
United States
English to Chinese
Targeted by the same scam Jan 12, 2022

The exact same scam came to me today. A man named Mariah Aluko asked me to translate the exact same document (public organization procedures research stuff). Smells fishy from the start, but I've never heard of the notorious Fake Check Scam until today. This scam is still alive.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »