Faustine Peyceré
Faustine Peyceré
France
Local time: 05:44
English to French
+ ...
Apr 16, 2019

Hello everyone,

The person named Tabitha with this mail address: [email protected] sent me an email asking for a translation called "My Project" (a 36 pages piece of literature on Phillip K. Dick).
I searched the address on the internet and found that website that repo
... See more
Hello everyone,

The person named Tabitha with this mail address: [email protected] sent me an email asking for a translation called "My Project" (a 36 pages piece of literature on Phillip K. Dick).
I searched the address on the internet and found that website that reports dating sites scammers :
https://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119140
The mail address is actually a man's, not Tabitha (see his name on the link, in accordance with rule #8 I won't post his name here), and the profile picture is the same as the ones exposed on the website.

So far, I just got asked normal things from him (invoice, mode of payment, delay), but I am now afraid of sharing my details with this person or not getting paid (or worse).

Tell me if it happened to you to !

Regards,

Faustine
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Lucia Negreiros
Romina Peralta

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
Of course a scammer! Apr 17, 2019

It has happened to plenty of people.... just click on pretty much any thread in this forum.
So don't share any details with this guy, if you don't want to get in trouble.
You can post the name here since it's just made up, it's not a real person's name.

Btw. this guy is quite a multi-talent, he's tried multiple scams on the same person. I wouldn't be surprised if he suddenly didn't need any translation at
... See more
It has happened to plenty of people.... just click on pretty much any thread in this forum.
So don't share any details with this guy, if you don't want to get in trouble.
You can post the name here since it's just made up, it's not a real person's name.

Btw. this guy is quite a multi-talent, he's tried multiple scams on the same person. I wouldn't be surprised if he suddenly didn't need any translation at all and instead wanted you to "help" him with his hospital bills, after he was beaten and robbed somewhere on the other side of the globe. Could be funny, if somebody had time and skills to play him.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Philippe Etienne
Thayenga

Mahmood Sharifi (X)
Mahmood Sharifi (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
I got this as well : Apr 17, 2019

Hello Mahmood,

Your price seems relatively low compared to other translators and I really appreciate that. The delivery date is okay but in return I want a perfect and accurate translation

50% of the payment will be sent upfront so you can proceed with the translation as soon as your receive the payment and the balance upon completion of the project.

However, my preferred mode of payment is to make a wire transfer or bank transfer to your account and all th
... See more
Hello Mahmood,

Your price seems relatively low compared to other translators and I really appreciate that. The delivery date is okay but in return I want a perfect and accurate translation

50% of the payment will be sent upfront so you can proceed with the translation as soon as your receive the payment and the balance upon completion of the project.

However, my preferred mode of payment is to make a wire transfer or bank transfer to your account and all that is needed now is your bank details.

For wire transfer / bank transfer
Bank Name:
Bank Postal Address:
Account Name:
Account Number:
Iban Number:

Here is my personal information for your perusal

Full Name: Tabitha Manor
Address: 415 Monterey Ln, Apt B1
City: San Clemente
State: CA
Zip: 92672
Phone: (571) 302-4310

Thank you
Collapse

Lucia Negreiros
Romina Peralta

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:44
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Mahmood Apr 17, 2019

Exactly the same telephone number was used by another scammer, a so-called Theresa Manor, living in Oakland, Minnesota (check the Translator Scammers Directory).

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 22:44
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 17, 2019

[Edited at 2019-04-18 02:48 GMT]

Lucia Negreiros
Lucia Negreiros  Identity Verified
France
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Tabitha Manor Apr 18, 2019

Thank you all for confirming my suspicions! I received the exact same email, with the "My Project" document and eventually offering to pay 50% upfront and asking for my bank details.

I found it odd but unsure on how to check the credentials for this person so thanks for sharing your experience!

Romina Peralta

Romina Peralta
Romina Peralta  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tabitha Manor Apr 22, 2019

Hi all,

I also received the exact same e-mail and although I found it to be somewhat sketchy I was more excited to have received my first one-on-one translation job! I sent my details and quote, which he/she agreed to and today I received an e-mail from this person saying their step-mother has been diagnosed with cancer and they cannot make the 50% down payment until Friday... so I looked up the name again (I did look it up the first time but found nothing) along with the address an
... See more
Hi all,

I also received the exact same e-mail and although I found it to be somewhat sketchy I was more excited to have received my first one-on-one translation job! I sent my details and quote, which he/she agreed to and today I received an e-mail from this person saying their step-mother has been diagnosed with cancer and they cannot make the 50% down payment until Friday... so I looked up the name again (I did look it up the first time but found nothing) along with the address and I came across this thread... thank you for reporting, it has saved me valuable time!

Such a pity that there are people out there who have nothing better to do than scam others, I don't get the point of doing it especially in this context?!

Good day to all
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New scammer alert Tabitha

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »