Thread poster: Ines Cunha Jorge
Mika Wallén, Ph.D.
Mika Wallén, Ph.D.
Finland
Local time: 00:39
English to Finnish
+ ...
Secret Shopper Nov 24, 2011

I got the the same messages. What was kind of surprising to me was that the sender seemed to be a paying member of proZ (although very recently joined with no profile information except his email). Hope these people can be dismissed.

[Edited at 2011-11-24 19:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-11-24 21:35 GMT]

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:39
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please report profiles used for fraudulent purposes to site staff directly Nov 24, 2011

Hello,

Thanks everyone for using the forum to raise awareness about scams. I see that ProZ.com profiles are involved in this particular scam. Site staff has blocked each profile that was reported on this thread and a few more reported privately.

I must ask you to report profiles used for fraudulent purposes through the support system. Staff will look into what you report and take appropriate action. If profiles an
... See more
Hello,

Thanks everyone for using the forum to raise awareness about scams. I see that ProZ.com profiles are involved in this particular scam. Site staff has blocked each profile that was reported on this thread and a few more reported privately.

I must ask you to report profiles used for fraudulent purposes through the support system. Staff will look into what you report and take appropriate action. If profiles and site users are reported in the forum directly, we run the risk of publicly accusing a colleague who may not be part of this scam.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

richye111
richye111
English to Hungarian
+ ...
New scammer Nov 24, 2011

I got a letter from Mark Grannum +447965658971
Be careful!

Orsolya Rita Molnár
Orsolya Rita Molnár
Hungary
Local time: 23:39
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Same scam for me today, name was Mark Grannum Nov 24, 2011

Hi,

These guys arrived to Hungary as well, I got the same email today, word to word. If anybody hasn't seen it, here goes:
I am an agent working with Secret Shopper® Europe

We are currently searching for English speakers in EUROPE to help us with our survey.
Currently, we have been paid to evaluate the services of a prestigious company which
is the WESTERN UNION.

JOB SUMMARY:

The WESTERN UNION is a company that offers money t
... See more
Hi,

These guys arrived to Hungary as well, I got the same email today, word to word. If anybody hasn't seen it, here goes:

We are currently searching for English speakers in EUROPE to help us with our survey.
Currently, we have been paid to evaluate the services of a prestigious company which
is the WESTERN UNION.

JOB SUMMARY:

The WESTERN UNION is a company that offers money transfer services.

The sole aim of this job is to evaluate the services of WESTERN UNION in your area.
We have received a lot of reports about their poor services.
Hence i will give you a detailed job description in key points.

1. You are to locate a western union office you intend to evaluate.( If you need a list of WESTERN UNION in your area please specify.)

2. A cheque would be sent to you to enable you have funds that would be transferred to another mystery shopper
like you who would be evaluating another western union office in his / her location

3. You deposit the cheques into your account.

4. You deduct your wage of 200Eur

5. You transfer the balance (after the subtraction of your wage and possible bank charges) to the name and address that would be attached to the cheque.

*NOTE* during the transfer process, you observe key things that would be sent to you inform of a questionnaire via email/post to enable you give us a detailed feed back of the whole process.

6. After the transfer, you fill out the questionnaire and give a general comment about the whole process.

The reports would be based on how true/false the complains of these worried customers.
Materials needed for the evaluation would be posted to you.

Hence your duties would be to go to a WESTERN UNION outlet in your locality as a customer.

You do not require any experience in this field as detailed guidelines
would be given to you to ensure a successful completion.

This role would pay 200Eur per Evaluation.

Your details would undergo security checks before the position is granted to you.

First Name: Last Name:
City: Country:
Postal Code: Mobile Number:
Home Phone: Current occupation:
Email Address:

We await your urgent response. Thank you for your help, we look forward to working with you.

Best Regards,

Mark Grannum
Secret Shopper®
+447965658971

I believe the phone number is the same as mentioned somewhere previously.
Does anyone think we should notify Secret Shopper, since that is an actual existing company in the US, I found the homepage. Unless the homepage is also part of the scam.

Careful everyone, if it sounds too good to be true, it isn't.

Good work,
Orsi
Collapse

Ioanna Karamitsa
Ioanna Karamitsa  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:39
English to Greek
+ ...
Me too Nov 25, 2011

I actually have to admit he almost got to me... I replied to his email (I hadnt paid attention to the fact that it was a gmail account, which is alarming) and provided the information he requested and a couple of days later I was sent a text message on my mobile stating ""Good Day, You have been sent emails. Please read and follow instructions accordingly. Thanks. Secret Shopper." I checked my emails and nothing was there, so I emailed him again to let him know I had not received any emails. Jus... See more
I actually have to admit he almost got to me... I replied to his email (I hadnt paid attention to the fact that it was a gmail account, which is alarming) and provided the information he requested and a couple of days later I was sent a text message on my mobile stating ""Good Day, You have been sent emails. Please read and follow instructions accordingly. Thanks. Secret Shopper." I checked my emails and nothing was there, so I emailed him again to let him know I had not received any emails. Just this morning I got the following email from Western Union ([email protected])

Dear Western Union customer,

A new security method was developed by our IT engineers, which purpose is to protect online accounts from unauthorized usage and third party access. For this new feature to be added to our online banking system our members are required to update their profile information by clicking on the following link:

Click here to go to the online form

You are required to update your account one-time only and will take 3-5 minutes of your time. After completing the online forms correctly you can continue using your account as usual. Please note that failure in updating your profile will result in suspending your account.

Thank you,
Francesca Rosetti,
IT Executive,
Western Union.

That is when I thought it would be wise to google his name a bit...
At least no harm done... Be careful everyone!
Collapse

Ilona Brophy-Lehmann
Ilona Brophy-Lehmann  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
David Spinster Nov 28, 2011

Hi

He/she hasn't given up and now sends e-mails under the name of "David Spinster". His user name is davidspinsterr. Beware!

Regards,
Ilona

Marie Madeleine Glück
Marie Madeleine Glück  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
SECRET SHOPPER Nov 28, 2011

Dear Marie,

is the WESTERN UNION.

JOB SUMMARY:

The sole aim of this job is to evaluate the services of WESTERN UNION in your area.... See more
Dear Marie,

is the WESTERN UNION.

JOB SUMMARY:

The sole aim of this job is to evaluate the services of WESTERN UNION in your area.

1. You are to locate a western union office you intend to evaluate.( If you need a list of WESTERN UNION in your area please specify.)

2. A cheque would be sent to you to enable you have funds that would be transferred to another mystery shopper
like you who would be evaluating another western union office in his / her location

5. You transfer the balance (after the subtraction of your wage and possible bank charges) to the name and address that would be attached to the cheque.

*NOTE* during the transfer process, you observe key things that would be sent to you inform of a questionnaire via email/post to enable you give us a detailed feed back of the whole process.

6. After the transfer, you fill out the questionnaire and give a general comment about the whole process.

The reports would be based on how true/false the complains of these worried customers.

Hence your duties would be to go to a WESTERN UNION outlet in your locality as a customer.

Your details would undergo security checks before the position is granted to you.

Email Address:

We await your urgent response. Thank you for your help, we look forward to working with you.

Best Regards,

David Spinster
Secret Shopper®
+447965658971

2011/11/28 Marie M. Glück
Hell David,

I couldnt see your profile but since you are in Wien, I am taking a chance responding your message.
You can call me here: 069910046479.
Best regards,

-----------
You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: davidspinsterr (ProZ.com Member) Author's Profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/1509238
Author's IP address: 86.161.242.98
-----------

Hello,

I need an English and German speaker to help me with some evaluation project.

If you are interested , email for more information.
Best Regards,

-----------
Your profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/104524
Login at: http://www.proz.com/profile/
Edit your profile mail preferences: http://www.proz.com/?sp=ef&show_mode=profmail
Block profile messages from this sender: http://www.proz.com/?sp=ef&add_ip_block=86.161.242.98&add_email_block=davidspinsterr@gmail.com&add_eid_block=1509238
Unsolicited advertising? Spam? click here: http://www.proz.com/?sp=ef&report_spam=6417047
-----------
Collapse

Marie Madeleine Glück
Marie Madeleine Glück  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
SECRET SHOPPER Nov 28, 2011

Dear Marie,

is the WESTERN UNION.

JOB SUMMARY:

The sole aim of this job is to evaluate the services of WESTERN UNION in your area.... See more
Dear Marie,

is the WESTERN UNION.

JOB SUMMARY:

Email Address:

Best Regards,

David Spinster
Secret Shopper®
+447965658971

2011/11/28 Marie M. Glück
Hell David,

I couldnt see your profile but since you are in Wien, I am taking a chance responding your message.
You can call me here: 069910046479.
Best regards,

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information in this Internet email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Use of this email by anyone else is unauthorized.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
Gesendet: Sonntag, 27. November 2011 01:45
An: [email protected]
Betreff: [ProZ.com mail] Austria

-----------
Author: davidspinsterr (ProZ.com Member) Author's Profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/1509238
Author's IP address: 86.161.242.98
-----------

Hello,

I need an English and German speaker to help me with some evaluation project.

If you are interested , email for more information.
Best Regards,

-----------
Your profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/104524
Login at: http://www.proz.com/profile/
Edit your profile mail preferences: http://www.proz.com/?sp=ef&show_mode=profmail
Block profile messages from this sender: http://www.proz.com/?sp=ef&add_ip_block=86.161.242.98&add_email_block=davidspinsterr@gmail.com&add_eid_block=1509238
Unsolicited advertising? Spam? click here: http://www.proz.com/?sp=ef&report_spam=6417047
-----------
Collapse

Hulya A
Hulya A  Identity Verified
Swedish to Turkish
+ ...
Same message different agent Palmer Butt Nov 29, 2011

Good Morning,

is the WESTERN UNION.

JOB SUMMARY:

The sole aim of this job is to evaluate the services of WESTERN UNION in your area.<
... See more
Good Morning,

is the WESTERN UNION.

JOB SUMMARY:

First Name:
Last Name:
City:
Postal Code:
Mobile Number:
Home Phone:
Current occupation:
Email Address:

Yours Sincerely,

Palmer Butt
Secret Shopper®
+447965658971
Collapse

Faruk Atabeyli
Faruk Atabeyli  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
He is a member now Nov 29, 2011

-----------
Author: palmerbuttandco (ProZ.com Member)
Author's Profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/1509568
Author's IP address: 94.46.241.75
-----------

English speaking translator in Bulgaria is needed for a job
survey.
Interested ?
Please get back to me for more details
Regards

Christo Metschkaroff
Christo Metschkaroff  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
German to Bulgarian
+ ...
David Baker Secret Shopper® Nov 29, 2011

Recently I was contacted by Palmerbuttandco - a ProZ.com member ?!?! To cut it short: When in doubt - stay away!

Cinamon
Cinamon
Spain
Local time: 22:39
Spanish to German
+ ...
Same here - DAVID SPINSTER/ [email protected] / WESTERN UNION SCAM Nov 29, 2011

The person contacted me a few days ago asking for help in an evaluation project.... It´s a shame that there is no way to catch the ppl behind the scam

Nahit Karataşlı
Nahit Karataşlı  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Proz staff handled it Nov 29, 2011

Hi there,

I reported the same situation to proz staff, and I received the message below:

Dear Nahit,

Thanks for the response.

Please note that ProZ.com do not discuss the administrative actions with third parties. However, this person has been blocked from the site, but please let me know if you continue to receive unwanted email through your profile, and thanks for helping to make the site more secure for everyone!

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Best regards,

Yana Dovgopol
ProZ.com Staff

He/she is still a member!

Regards,
Nahit

[Değişiklik saati 2011-11-29 10:10 GMT]

oranda
oranda
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
New name - same scheme Nov 29, 2011

He is now named Palmer Butt.
I have received same mail the day before.

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:39
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

"blocked" vs "removed" Nov 29, 2011

Dear Nahit,

What the message you received from ProZ staff means is that the profile that contacted you can no longer contact anyone. That is, the profile is still there, but it is blocked from doing anything, including sending messages. And thank you for reporting that scammer to the Site: it makes all of us safer!

Yolanda B.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SCAM warning: David Baker Secret Shopper®

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »