The state of the linguist supply chain: a CSA report on translators and interpreters in 2020
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 20:44
SITE STAFF
Feb 12, 2020

In the second half of 2019, ProZ.com, Translators without Borders, and other organizations collaborated with Common Sense Advisory (CSA) on a survey directed at professional translators and interpreters. The information gathered in this survey, which was completed by over 7,000 professionals (most of them freelancers), was then used by CSA to build a report which covers a variety of areas, including d... See more
In the second half of 2019, ProZ.com, Translators without Borders, and other organizations collaborated with Common Sense Advisory (CSA) on a survey directed at professional translators and interpreters. The information gathered in this survey, which was completed by over 7,000 professionals (most of them freelancers), was then used by CSA to build a report which covers a variety of areas, including demographics, behaviors, interaction with clients, income, technology, and trends and challenges being faced by today's freelance language professional. The ProZ.com team is happy to be able to help distribute this report to those who may be interested.

2020_report_CSA_charts

Download The state of the linguist supply chain (pdf) »

Read The state of the linguist supply chain online »

ProZ.com members can also read through periodic industry reports published by ProZ.com in the Translation industry reports section of the site (check under the Education tab, Knowledgebase).

The State of the Linguist Supply Chain  is open access and available for distribution in its entirety, courtesy of CSA Research. To request use or distribution of portions of the report or graphics, contact CSA Research

Collapse

Christopher & Rozilene Frye
Yaotl Altan
Ehsan Mirzaei
Gabriella Vento
Eugene Efremov
Abdifatah Aden
svetlana cosquéric

Hubert Maciejewicz
Hubert Maciejewicz  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:44
Member (2019)
Polish to English
+ ...
Thank you! Feb 12, 2020

Thank you for sharing such an extensive study and its results. I am eagerly looking to take a look at it

Edegar Colônia Vieira Junior
Irni Yusof

Geocinara Avila
Geocinara Avila  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Great material! Feb 12, 2020

I believe that this material will support me to make decision in terms administrative, logistic and linguistic. I´ll study it!

Sergio Carré
Luca Tutino
Irni Yusof

Eric Dos Santos
Eric Dos Santos
France
Member (2010)
Italian to Portuguese
+ ...
So interesting! Feb 15, 2020

Thanks for sharing!

Muhammad Said
Muhammad Said  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Great! Feb 16, 2020

Great material from CSA! Thanks for sharing.

Matt Mueller
Matt Mueller  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 07:44
Chinese to English
+ ...
Good info! Feb 17, 2020

Thanks for doing this. Nice to know that my victories, challenges, and thoughts are actually quite common.

Orly Benun
Irina Shevchenko

Irina Shevchenko
Irina Shevchenko  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Extremely interesting! Feb 26, 2020

Thank you so much for the job done. It is extremely interesting to have a global view wrt the trends in the profession and the market.

Joceli Backer (X)
Joceli Backer (X)
Sweden
English to Cebuano (Bisayan)
+ ...
A Clear Picture for Translators Feb 27, 2020

Great report! Thanks for sharing. It helps me to see that I'm heading in the right direction. I accidentally came across into this career when I joined Elance in 2010, where I worked as a freelance web developer. After that I took an English course/degree without realizing that it would help me much in this job. Translators should take a course in translation in order to produce a quality translation.

David Plaza Garcia
David Plaza Garcia  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2018)
English to Spanish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Very interesting! Feb 27, 2020

Thanks for sharing this report and thank you for the job done.

I'm totally sharing it in my social media.

Thanks again!

Marta Brambilla
Marta Brambilla  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2007)
German to Italian
+ ...
Cannot find the PDF Feb 27, 2020

Hi there!! Thank you for sharing this information but I cannot find the PDF online or anywhere else ... sorry, probabily it's me.

Any idea how to find it?
Thank you

Anna Jaffe
Anna Jaffe
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Download link Feb 27, 2020

Hi Marta,

If you click on "More" in Jared Tabor's first post, under the images it says (in red):

Download The state of the linguist supply chain (pdf)

Read The state of the linguist supply chain online

Click on one of those sentences.

Jared Tabor

Argyro Alykatora
Argyro Alykatora  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 02:44
Member (2009)
English to Greek
+ ...
Some mixed feelings... Feb 27, 2020

Glad to see many linguists still take pride in our profession which has always been quite well-respected. Pride cannot feed us...it is obvious many of us are facing financial problems and concerns what the future will bring. As one who has been in the industry for 17 years, and 11 years as a freelancer, I would suggest that we all need to find what works for each one of us...and never stop educating/training ourselves. Times are changing and we need to be shaping our future! We are a big part of... See more
Glad to see many linguists still take pride in our profession which has always been quite well-respected. Pride cannot feed us...it is obvious many of us are facing financial problems and concerns what the future will bring. As one who has been in the industry for 17 years, and 11 years as a freelancer, I would suggest that we all need to find what works for each one of us...and never stop educating/training ourselves. Times are changing and we need to be shaping our future! We are a big part of the industry, so why let everyone else decide for us?Collapse

Quentina Chan
binaziz

Ricardo Flores Bajares
Ricardo Flores Bajares
Venezuela
Local time: 19:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Interesting stuff!! Feb 27, 2020

great job, thanks for sharing!!!

binaziz
binaziz
Yemen
Local time: 02:44
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thankx Mar 1, 2020

Many thanks for sharing

Faouzia Charmati
Faouzia Charmati  Identity Verified
Italy
Arabic to Italian
+ ...
Very interesting!! Mar 18, 2020

Great work! Thank you for sharing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The state of the linguist supply chain: a CSA report on translators and interpreters in 2020

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »