Thread poster: Ricki Farn
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:26
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
What I don't understand, .... Nov 23, 2018

.... and already since day 1 this WIWO thing hit the air, is why anybody would be interested in what I am working on (or vice versa) and what is 'cool' about it (????).

Tom in London
Sabine Braun
Jo Macdonald

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@Robert Rietveld Nov 23, 2018

Well, I can see how a list of projects (especially with keywords) could help pick the right person for a job. If I wanted a book about mice translated, and I found someone with a WIWO of "book about hamsters", I would pick that person. Someone with "book about cats" in their WIWOs, not so much.

My question is if or how our WIWO keywords are used to match prospects to translators. It's probably explained somewhere in the ProZ Help. And there is still the option of just reading a page
... See more
Well, I can see how a list of projects (especially with keywords) could help pick the right person for a job. If I wanted a book about mice translated, and I found someone with a WIWO of "book about hamsters", I would pick that person. Someone with "book about cats" in their WIWOs, not so much.

My question is if or how our WIWO keywords are used to match prospects to translators. It's probably explained somewhere in the ProZ Help. And there is still the option of just reading a pageful of WIWOs to get to know a person's niche.
Collapse

Luciana Trevisi

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ricki Nov 24, 2018

Ricki Farn wrote:
I can see your WIWO on the homepage (without reaction options) and at https://www.proz.com/wiwo/ (with reaction options), but not in your profile.

I consider WIWO to be an informal kind of social networking and would therefore not want to include it on my profile page, which is aimed at clients. I would not want my WIWO posts to form part of the profile page itself, so that is why I disabled WIWO display on my profile page. However, there is a link in my profile page to all my forum posts, and I would not mind a similar link to all my WIWO posts.

I clicked both buttons and replied right now.

I received no notifications in the mail, and there were no notifications on my profile page either. I can see, however, that you clicked the buttons and wrote something. Here's what the entry looks like:

wiwo entry

So you can't see mine at the top of my profile?

Yes, I can see it.

Does anyone here know how to filter only WIWO posts by a specific member? I can't figure out how to do that via the WIWO page, but I do know that one can customise a URL, e.g. to see user 125774's WIWO entries, go to https://www.proz.com/wiwo/?criteria[entity_id]=125774.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Rici's original post Nov 24, 2018

Ricki Farn wrote:
When I see a person's WIWO on the ProZ homepage and I find it interesting, I can:
1. click on the person's username in the WIWO list
2. click on the "more" link under "What (person) is working on"
3. click on the "I Do That" or "Cool!" button or post a reply.

On the home page itself, you can click "See more" and that will take you to the WIWO page. That saves one click.

see more wiwo

It makes sense, I think, on the ProZ.com home page that clicking a person's name takes you to that person's profile page, and not to that person's post (the same principle applies to the other sections on the home page). It's not necessary to provide a link to the actual WIWO entry because the entire entry is shown on the home page. Contrast that to links to forum posts, where only the thread title is shown on the home page.

As to why there are no Cool and I-do-that-[too] buttons on the ProZ.com home page, I think it may be because the home page is aimed at both members and clients (clients looking for translators who can do work for them), and responding to WIWO entries is a member activity, and more specifically a social activity.

How would you react if someone clicked "I do that" on one of your WIWOs? Would you feel the person was trying to connect with you as a peer, maybe a peer for the same subject matter but a different language pair, or would you feel that it was somehow weird for a direct competitor to jump in?

I would simply think that someone saw my WIWO entry and already had his hand on his mouse, so he clicked a button because he was momentarily interested in what I wrote and wanted to show his appreciation for the moment of entertainment he received from it. It's the same with likes or icon-based comments on any social media stream.

The I-do-that-[too] feature would make more sense if one could have a link on one's profile page to a list of all the WIWO entries to which you had replied IDTT, so that clients and colleagues can see what you had said you "do too".

[Edited at 2018-11-24 10:04 GMT]

Ricki Farn

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
To show or not to show, that is the question Nov 24, 2018

Good morning (YMMV),

Samuel Murray wrote:
I consider WIWO to be an informal kind of social networking and would therefore not want to include it on my profile page, which is aimed at clients. I would not want my WIWO posts to form part of the profile page itself, so that is why I disabled WIWO display on my profile page. However, there is a link in my profile page to all my forum posts, and I would not mind a similar link to all my WIWO posts.

Interesting point. I don't link to my forum posts in my profile, because I'm half-asleep or snarky or flippant on the forums a lot. I do show my WIWOs to highlight my niche, and when I translate something that I don't enjoy, I don't write a WIWO about it, because I don't want to encourage anyone to send me more of the same. But the WIWOs wouldn't have to be as prominent as they are now, right at the top of my profile page - there are more interesting things about me than a snapshot of my current activity.

I received no notifications in the mail, and there were no notifications on my profile page either. I can see, however, that you clicked the buttons and wrote something.

That's kind of ... unsatisfactory, I guess. Or maybe it spares 99.9% of users the information that someone finds their work "Cool!", because they will never notice it.

Does anyone here know how to filter only WIWO posts by a specific member? I can't figure out how to do that via the WIWO page, but I do know that one can customise a URL, e.g. to see user 125774's WIWO entries, go to https://www.proz.com/wiwo/?criteria[entity_id]=125774.

If the WIWOs are displayed in a person's profile, you can see them all via point-and-click. If they're not - no idea, unless you customise the URL, but who does that when just casually browsing?

Have a great weekend everyone (dude, that sounds so California!),
Ricki

[Edited at 2018-11-24 10:23 GMT]

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
LetZ be friendZ Nov 25, 2018

Hey, I really like that tagline 

I've just looked at my WIWOs again. Unless I'm mistaken, I can see who finds my task "Cool", but I can't click through to that person. It's just a speech bubble with the username, no link. I would have to search for the user from the homepage to befriendZ them.

Unbenannt2

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
One use of WIWOs Dec 17, 2018

I was just asked if I wanted to do a translation on a certain subject. I didn't, but I did use the translator search to find out who works on that subject, so I could find a few people I felt comfortable suggesting.

What I learned: If you use a search keyword in the translator search, and a person has mentioned that keyword in a WIWO, then this person will show up in your search. That actually helped me identify just what I wanted - a few people who had worked on the subject in ques
... See more
I was just asked if I wanted to do a translation on a certain subject. I didn't, but I did use the translator search to find out who works on that subject, so I could find a few people I felt comfortable suggesting.

What I learned: If you use a search keyword in the translator search, and a person has mentioned that keyword in a WIWO, then this person will show up in your search. That actually helped me identify just what I wanted - a few people who had worked on the subject in question, so I could swoop down on the ones I e-knew.

I don't know how other people search, but my intuition was to look for (a) keyword and (b) familiar e-face.

[Bearbeitet am 2018-12-17 16:25 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:26
Member (2008)
Italian to English
That Dec 17, 2018

That is so, like, cool.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@Tom Dec 17, 2018

You dig me, bro.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WIWO "Cool!" / "I Do That" / reply functionality

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »