Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:26
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 23, 2017

Hi everyone,

I am looking for one button that (temporarily) turns off all notifications from proz.com, e.g. during vacation, without having to change individual notification settings for kudoz, jobs, forums etc. Is there such a button?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:26
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
That would be lovely Nov 23, 2017

Lianne van de Ven wrote:
I am looking for one button that (temporarily) turns off all notifications from proz.com, e.g. during vacation, without having to change individual notification settings for kudoz, jobs, forums etc. Is there such a button?

If there is, I haven't found it. There are three or four separate places you have to visit, and multiple settings within each one, as far as I remember. Last time I went away I remember having to leave myself a message reminding me what my preferred settings were.

Associated with that is that I have a lot of trouble finding the place I can load an "out of office" note too. In fact, I've just spent the last five minutes looking for it, to no avail! As far as I remember, when you do eventually find it, it doesn't enable you to input a start and end date. So you have the stress of trying to find the **** thing when you're trying to pack, and then you have to remember to turn it off afterwards. I discovered once that I'd been displaying an "out of the office" message for months! Fortunately I'd put the return date so it just made me look inefficient rather than actually absent.

ProZ.com are doing some good site updates at the present time, so let's hope they'll incorporate this.

Edited to add that I found the out-of-office message at last! It wasn't on the drop-down list of things under my photo; it wasn't in the profile itself, or under the profile updater, contact, visitors or settings tabs - at least, not so you could spot it. But I eventually found it in the settings tab under "email preferences". It's headed "vetting options". :????: And no, there's no possibility of inputting start and end dates.

[Edited at 2017-11-23 10:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-11-23 10:25 GMT]

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:26
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Would be nice Nov 23, 2017

I don't think something like that exists, but it surely would be nice to have!

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Email preferences vs notifications Nov 23, 2017

Thanks, Sheila, for digging into this. I found the email preferences on the settings tab on my profile page. The vetting option that you point out is unfortunately not so relevant because I rarely receive such messages. I am still looking for one button to turn off all notifications under 'other notifications' (rather than messages) in this section. Hopefully it gets added, or someone can point out where it is (or move it to a more obvious place) if there is already such button.

Job notification Aug 18, 2018

Helo,

How do I receive job notification in email?

Matheus Chaud
Matheus Chaud  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...

Unsubscribe Aug 19, 2018

A little bit late, but it may be useful to others. Try to click on your profile, then go to the Settings tab, and Unsubscribe.
There's an option there that says
"Stop all email notifications to your address
You can turn them back on later by using the option above"

I haven't tried it yet, but maybe someone can confirm if it works as expected.

Matheus Chaud
Matheus Chaud  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...

Another option Aug 19, 2018

Another option seems to be going to your profile, clicking on tab Settings, Change your email preferences, Vetting options and then checking the box
"Do not vet any messages sent to me via my profile"

This seems to be more interesting, because it also says
"You may enter a note that will be shown to those attempting to contact you via your profile.
e.g. I will be unavailable until Tuesday because I am on vacation."

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wish list? Aug 19, 2018

Hi Matheus,

Thank you for your input. I just had a quick check, but this is not quite what I am looking for. It seems to apply to communcations from proz.com only (profile messages tab and other notifications tab).

Kudoz, Jobs and Forum settings seem to have their own setttings for notifications. If the unsubscribe link affects these too, it is unclear that it does (no real fb there).

I would like to see one on-off switch for ALL email notifications with
... See more
Hi Matheus,

Thank you for your input. I just had a quick check, but this is not quite what I am looking for. It seems to apply to communcations from proz.com only (profile messages tab and other notifications tab).

Kudoz, Jobs and Forum settings seem to have their own setttings for notifications. If the unsubscribe link affects these too, it is unclear that it does (no real fb there).

I would like to see one on-off switch for ALL email notifications without changing any settings. A vacation switch so to say. I know that may sound easy but be difficult to implement. Maybe this should go to a wish list?

Many thanks.
Lianne

[Edited at 2018-08-19 17:13 GMT]
Collapse

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
Local time: 18:26
German to English
+ ...
Email Aug 20, 2018

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

Hi everyone,

not a direct answer, but fwiw, I do this kind of adjustment at the other end, with my email filter. With most mail clients it is quite easy to create a filter for all ProZ mail, which you can then (temporarily) set to make the mail disappear.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On/off button for (all) proz notifications

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »