Receving repeated irrelevant mails from a single outsourcer - how to report?
Thread poster: Kirsty Mason
Kirsty Mason
Kirsty Mason  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:26
German to English
Feb 15, 2017

Is there a way to report an agency who is repeatedly sending irrelevant job alerts via the ProZ messaging system?

One particular outsourcer has sent me over 20 mails in 2 weeks, 19 of which are not relevant for my language pair. I'm pretty certain my mail settings are correct, since all other mail contacts I receive are relevant.

I have contacted them politely to request they review their e-mail settings, but I don't know how much notice they have taken of my e-mail. <
... See more
Is there a way to report an agency who is repeatedly sending irrelevant job alerts via the ProZ messaging system?

One particular outsourcer has sent me over 20 mails in 2 weeks, 19 of which are not relevant for my language pair. I'm pretty certain my mail settings are correct, since all other mail contacts I receive are relevant.

I have contacted them politely to request they review their e-mail settings, but I don't know how much notice they have taken of my e-mail.

This hasn't happened to me before in 14 years of being registered on this website, and it would be shame for me to deregister from all e-mail alerts due to this one annoying outsourcer.

Is there a procedure for such cases?

TIA
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:26
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My solution so far Feb 15, 2017

I've had a couple of these outsourcers annoying me in the past. On the very rare occasion when the job is actually relevant, they give their own idea of when it can be done by and how much it will cost - and they make me cry or laugh, depending on my mood.

What I've done is start with a polite message, follow with a "yet another received, please refer to email of dd/mm/yy", then they get one that asks for my name to be removed from their contact list. If I hear more from them after
... See more
I've had a couple of these outsourcers annoying me in the past. On the very rare occasion when the job is actually relevant, they give their own idea of when it can be done by and how much it will cost - and they make me cry or laugh, depending on my mood.

What I've done is start with a polite message, follow with a "yet another received, please refer to email of dd/mm/yy", then they get one that asks for my name to be removed from their contact list. If I hear more from them after that, I write a very formal email referring to the others. In that I say that further contact will be regarded as illegal sending of unsolicited emails, and will be forwarded to the authorities.

It is actually illegal in most areas so it should work. It certainly has for me.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Receving repeated irrelevant mails from a single outsourcer - how to report?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »