Is it necessary to pay in order to quote?
Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 10:17
English to French
Mar 30, 2016

Hello,

To my great surprise I found out today that I need to pay to reply to a Proz job posting

I am a free user. Is this normal? Since when and why this policy change?

Will free membership at Proz be discontinued in the future too?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2016-03-31 12:34 GMT]

Sherif Ashraf

Paula Durrosier
Paula Durrosier  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Non-members are charged $1 USD for their right to quote Mar 31, 2016

Hello Alexandre,

Thanks for writing.

ProZ.com policy, outlined in http://www.proz.com/faq/3145#3145 , has been that non-members are charged $1 USD from their ProZ.com wallets for their right to quote. On the contrary, ProZ.com members have access to unlimited, free quoting. This has not recently changed.

Regarding free membership in general, please rest assured tha
... See more
Hello Alexandre,

Thanks for writing.

ProZ.com policy, outlined in http://www.proz.com/faq/3145#3145 , has been that non-members are charged $1 USD from their ProZ.com wallets for their right to quote. On the contrary, ProZ.com members have access to unlimited, free quoting. This has not recently changed.

Regarding free membership in general, please rest assured that it will continue to be so in the future.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Paula
Collapse

Amr Mohamed

Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Time period of changes to Proz.com job quote policy? Mar 31, 2016

It depends what you mean by "rcently changed".

Until now I remember very well never having to pay to quote on Proz.com jobs...But I had not quoted directly on Proz.com since several months, so you may be refferring to at least erly 2015...

Regards,

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:17
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Mar 31, 2016

Yes, it is to pay the fee if you want to quote. With such low response rate to quotes and an elevated number of quoters in some of my language pairs, I abstain from quoting at all. And I wonder how many others do the same. And then I wonder if that is really in the job posters' best interest.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:17
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Been like that for quite a few years, I believe Mar 31, 2016

Staff are in the best position to say, of course. But I think it's been that way for several years.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Didn't know that Mar 31, 2016

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

Yes, it is to pay the fee if you want to quote. With such low response rate to quotes and an elevated number of quoters in some of my language pairs, I abstain from quoting at all. And I wonder how many others do the same. And then I wonder if that is really in the job posters' best interest.

I am a paying member, but somehow it sounds "weird". Crisis at Proz?

For the rest I agree with the conclusions of Inga.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 06:17
SITE STAFF
This system has been in place since 2010 Mar 31, 2016

Hi all,

This change was announced and discussed towards the end of 2009, here: http://www.proz.com/topic/152417

Jared

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it necessary to pay in order to quote?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »