Unwanted job offers: If I mark these as spam, will I stop receiving offers from ProZ?
Thread poster: philgoddard
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Dec 16, 2015

I'm posting this question because I thought others might be interested by the answer.

I receive job offers from ProZ on a daily basis. The majority are very poorly paid, or in the wrong subjects or language pairs, and there are some repeat offenders who keep sending them despite polite requests not to.

If I start marking these as spam in my email, will that mean I eventually stop receiving offers from ProZ?

If I click on Reply, I get the sender's address ra
... See more
I'm posting this question because I thought others might be interested by the answer.

I receive job offers from ProZ on a daily basis. The majority are very poorly paid, or in the wrong subjects or language pairs, and there are some repeat offenders who keep sending them despite polite requests not to.

If I start marking these as spam in my email, will that mean I eventually stop receiving offers from ProZ?

If I click on Reply, I get the sender's address rather than ProZ's. But they're still coming from the ProZ server, so presumably my spam filter will identify ProZ as a source of spam.

Does anyone know whether this is the case?

Thanks!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2015-12-17 01:05 GMT]
Collapse

Paula Durrosier
Paula Durrosier  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can edit your Jobs dashboard's settings Dec 17, 2015

Hi philgoddard!

Whether emails sent from ProZ.com are marked as spam or not will depend on many factors, e.g. the hosting service you are using and your email account settings. It is possible that marking some job-related notifications as spam will cause similar messages sent by the site to be marked as such.

Therefore, I suggest that you edit your ProZ.com profile and notification settings instead so that you receive fewer notifications of jobs that you are not interes
... See more
Hi philgoddard!

Whether emails sent from ProZ.com are marked as spam or not will depend on many factors, e.g. the hosting service you are using and your email account settings. It is possible that marking some job-related notifications as spam will cause similar messages sent by the site to be marked as such.

Therefore, I suggest that you edit your ProZ.com profile and notification settings instead so that you receive fewer notifications of jobs that you are not interested in. All you need to do is specify your Jobs dashboard's settings. You can find your Jobs dashboard under the 'Settings' tab of your profile. There you can, for example, choose not to be sent notifications of jobs that are below your minimum rates. Also, you can add flagged or filtered job posters (in order to track or block posters respectively).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Paula Durrosier
ProZ.com Staff
Collapse

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
How? Dec 17, 2015

M. Paula Durrosier wrote:

Also, you can add flagged or filtered job posters (in order to track or block posters respectively).

Could you let me know how to do this? I can't find this option and I think it would be helpful. Thanks!

Edited: Found it! (There is a separate Poster Flags and Filters Tab in the Jobs Settings.)

[Edited at 2015-12-17 16:32 GMT]

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Paula Dec 17, 2015

I didn't know this facility existed. But if I set a minimum rate, doesn't that appear on my profile so everyone can see it?
Also, I can't see how to block a specific company.

Paula Durrosier
Paula Durrosier  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try the 'Poster Flags and Filters' tab Dec 17, 2015

Hi again philgoddard,

You are welcome!

When you include your rates in your profile you can choose whether or not to show them. To edit your rates settings, you need to go to the Financial section of your Profile updater. There you can choose to show your minimum and standard rates to everyone, outsourcers only, or to no one.

In order to block a specific outsourcer, you need to go to your Jobs Dashboard in the 'Settings' tab of your profile. There you need
... See more
Hi again philgoddard,

You are welcome!

When you include your rates in your profile you can choose whether or not to show them. To edit your rates settings, you need to go to the Financial section of your Profile updater. There you can choose to show your minimum and standard rates to everyone, outsourcers only, or to no one.

In order to block a specific outsourcer, you need to go to your Jobs Dashboard in the 'Settings' tab of your profile. There you need to click on the 'Poster Flags and Filters' tab, and add the ID of the outsourcer or poster you want to block in the 'Posters to Filter' box.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Paula Durrosier
ProZ.com Staff
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 17, 2015

very much.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:46
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes please. Dec 17, 2015

There is one agency (with 68 five ratings from translators overjoyed to work with them) that keeps contacting me (for large rush projects) and instead of asking me for my rate, they state that they are offering only 0.05. I keep telling them that I charged way more than 0.05 in 1983 and that there are no real translators in the United States working for 0.05 and that if they think they've found one, I will edit the job for free to show how they are being deceived.

[Edited at 2015-12-17 19
... See more
There is one agency (with 68 five ratings from translators overjoyed to work with them) that keeps contacting me (for large rush projects) and instead of asking me for my rate, they state that they are offering only 0.05. I keep telling them that I charged way more than 0.05 in 1983 and that there are no real translators in the United States working for 0.05 and that if they think they've found one, I will edit the job for free to show how they are being deceived.

[Edited at 2015-12-17 19:43 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unwanted job offers: If I mark these as spam, will I stop receiving offers from ProZ?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »