A translation company received 1 for LWA, and three days later received 12 fives. Suspicious?
Thread poster: finnword1
finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 20:25
English to Finnish
+ ...
Dec 4, 2015

I noticed that a translation company had received 1 for LWA, and three days later received 12 fives. Suspicious huh? Doesn't this qualify as a scam?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2015-12-05 00:16 GMT]

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:25
Serbian to English
+ ...
not obvious at all Dec 5, 2015

it could be that the "5"s are justified and the "1" was given by a "translator" that tried to pass-off some Google translate "work of art" as its own work, and wasn't happy with the reaction from the agency.

it could also be that the "1" was well justified. and that the "5"s are just given under duress

One way or another, it shows that the whole LWA system on its own is more or less useless as "rating tool".

Devin Gilbert

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:25
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Maybe ... Dec 5, 2015

Perhaps it is suspicious or perhaps not, as explained by Daryo.
What you could do to get nearer the facts is contact one or more of the respondents privately and ask the reasons for their comment(s).

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:25
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Perhaps... Dec 5, 2015

finnword1 wrote:
I noticed that a translation company had received 1 for LWA, and three days later received 12 fives.

Perhaps the agency forgot about the Blue Board, and when they got that "1", they woke up and realised that they had to do something, so I asked their existing happy translators if they could please give them some ratings. It does seem that the high number of 5s is a direct reaction to the single 1. I agree with Jenny... e-mail the 1 and then e-mail the 5s.

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 03:25
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Follow rather than look at the snapshot Dec 5, 2015

I tend to follow the outsourcers I want to know more about.

Quite often, I see someone entering a 1 or a 2 because of payment problems. Some days after, that entry is deleted - possible because the invoice has been paid.

It just means that the blue board has become a way of forcing clients to pay.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
It could be anything Dec 5, 2015

I think I know one agency matching this description. Worked for them once, it took them 18 months to pay me $40. Thank goodness I didn't do anything big there.

They have a superb HR plan, that would work if only... all freelancers were their full-time employees. But then they'd get salaries, which would thwart that entire plan altogether. It definitely backfires with freelancers.

Every now and then they get a floc
... See more
I think I know one agency matching this description. Worked for them once, it took them 18 months to pay me $40. Thank goodness I didn't do anything big there.

They have a superb HR plan, that would work if only... all freelancers were their full-time employees. But then they'd get salaries, which would thwart that entire plan altogether. It definitely backfires with freelancers.

Every now and then they get a flock of disgruntled translators posting a series of low LWAs on their BB record, scattered over an extended period of time. When their average score goes below a certain threshold, they get desperate to lift it quickly. So they get another flock to post a series of 5s, all in the same day, or within a 2-3 days' period.

When I noticed this occurring for the first time, I wrote a Support Ticket. Proz staff checked, and assured me that each of these entries was ascertained as legit, so there was nothing to be done. Their BB history is a series of blue and pink "waves", and they have been banned from posting jobs on Proz.

Every translation agency will have its happy and unhappy translators. I've seen colleagues bad-mouthing a few of my most valued clients. Likewise, I've rejected job offers from some agencies that ate highly regarded by other colleagues.

It's a matter of reading between the lines in those short BB comments.

I don't particularly care about unpleasant PMs; they ask, I deliver. On the other hand, I am not tolerant to "nay-payers"; I deliver, they pay. It's professional business. If they can add a friendly relationship, that's certainly a plus, worth going the extra mile(s) whenever they need.

Every translator should consider their pet peeves upon choosing clients, and try to avoid them as much as possible.
Collapse

finnword1
finnword1
United States
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
additional piece of information Dec 5, 2015

The reason for me to check this agency out on the Blue Board was that they offered me a job at 4.5 euro cents per word.

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 03:25
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Decision Dec 6, 2015

Is there anything you could have read on the blue board that would have you accept such a rate?

finnword1
finnword1
United States
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
too good to be true? Dec 14, 2015

Still wondering how an "outsourcer" earns those fives for LWA? An agency contacted me about a job. They have 179 entries, all of them fives, but seem to come in bursts, One day they received (8), on two separate days (5) each, two other days (4) each and so on. How can anybody be so popular?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A translation company received 1 for LWA, and three days later received 12 fives. Suspicious?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »