Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is this a joke? (MOD: clearly a mistake in the wordcount made by the outsourcer)
Thread poster: Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 02:39
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
$0.01 Oct 19, 2015

Jack Doughty wrote:

What does PayPal charge for a payment of $0.36? I should imagine it is more than £0.36.

maybe...

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:39
French to English
+ ...
More fool those eight bidders Oct 19, 2015

Maija Cirule wrote:

The rating of this outsourcer is 2. At 18:00 GSM+3 hours there were 8 (EIGHT) qoutes submitted.

Doesn't sound like the company is likely to cough up those 32 cents!

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The other translation website Oct 19, 2015

has a permanent topic "Report ridiculous jobs" or something along these lines and any job offer of less than $0.05 per source word is removed by the topic's moderator. The job offer in question is not only ridiculous but also insulting. It seems that the most shameless job posters have moved to proz.

[Edited at 2015-10-19 11:19 GMT]

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:39
English to French
Machines are stupid Oct 19, 2015

Maija Cirule wrote:
the headline says 5735 words but in the hidden part the volume is specified as "6 words" and the TOTAL 0.036 euros, this is why I started the topic.

6.000 and 6,000 means different things in different languages, but for a machine it means what you tell them to mean.
From a wordcount entered with an "incorrect" decimal sign and a correct word rate, machines work out the estimated total accordingly without user input (or so I believe). And that can trigger a forum thread.

Maybe quite simply, what is to be read is that the job total would amount to $240-360, which is about 3456 times the average monthly wage in Bumongundona (north of the Antarctic), so it's rather in the higher end of the insultingly low offer category - unless it's in the lower end of the borderline unacceptable rate category.

One has to differentiate from machines by questioning them.

Philippe

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The texts should be checked Oct 19, 2015

by somebody before posting them or am I wrong?

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:39
English to German
You don't know what these 8 bidders said in their post! Oct 19, 2015

Natalie Soper wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

The rating of this outsourcer is 2. At 18:00 GSM+3 hours there were 8 (EIGHT) qoutes submitted.

Doesn't sound like the company is likely to cough up those 32 cents!

They might have asked for clarification, offered a minimum rate ...?

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:39
English to German
+ ...
Another "tempting" opportunity today Oct 19, 2015

€100.00 EUR to €200.00 EUR total for the translation of 24,000 words (ENG-GER)

11 quotes, one by me recommending google translate

Obviously there is no limit to the bottom!

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Apologies for the confusion created Oct 19, 2015

Hello all,

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of site staff and moderators. As Philippe Etienne noticed, the poster of this job may have entered a comma or a period in the volume field (i.e. 6,0000 or 6.000) and so the system converted the number automatically. However, the title of the job posting clearly states that this is a job of 5735 words.

Site staff checks
... See more
Hello all,

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of site staff and moderators. As Philippe Etienne noticed, the poster of this job may have entered a comma or a period in the volume field (i.e. 6,0000 or 6.000) and so the system converted the number automatically. However, the title of the job posting clearly states that this is a job of 5735 words.

Site staff checks job postings in line with http://www.proz.com/faq/3265#3265, and this job was in effect checked before it was made visible. However, the six-word count specification was missed. Apologies for the confusion this created.

In the future, if you believe that a job poster has made a mistake when specifying job details, I suggest you submit a support request through the support center, http://www.proz.com/support . This is the most effective way to report issues like this.

Also, I take the chance to remind everyone that it is not allowed to discuss outsourcers specifically in forums, http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8

Thanks again!

Lucia
Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:39
English to German
+ ...
Another joke Oct 20, 2015

(€0.01 EUR to €0.01 EUR estimated per word)
Today: about 8000 words, English>German
I "applied" to ask for verification of suggested budget. I stated that this must be a mistake.
Poster country: Germany
So far 9 applicants - or 8 (minus mine)
Subject: spiritual text

My comments:
certainly not professional.
Should we worry? No. This isn't worth worrying about. Nothing good comes from working in that niche. I wouldn't even call it
... See more
I "applied" to ask for verification of suggested budget. I stated that this must be a mistake.
Poster country: Germany

My comments:
Should we worry? No. This isn't worth worrying about. Nothing good comes from working in that niche. I wouldn't even call it a niche. It's below any niche.
Maybe a typo? Well, so far no answer.
Now, 5 minutes later there are 11 applicants (or 10 minus mine)
Hope they are all applying with a "professional rate." Likely? Not very. Why would anyone think this is a serious person accepting adequate rates?

Only concern: on platform called "proz".com There's certainly nothing "pro" about this project posting and the "applicants." Don't mean to criticize Proz.com. But if we were all Proz here, there shouldn't be any people applying for this.

Positive point: the lower these budgets go, the more clearly it will be to anyone with a brain that this is nothing more than a joke, and unacceptable for any serious translator. Who's left to apply?! What's the outcome?!

Suggestion for Proz.com:
The warning shouldn' t read ... 80% ... but:

The budget entered for this job is below the rates charged by at least 99% of ProZ.com members for this pair and currency.

[Edited at 2015-10-20 15:26 GMT]
edited for typo

[Edited at 2015-10-21 01:08 GMT]
Collapse

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is not a joke but a tragicomedy Oct 20, 2015

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Posted country: Germany

My comments:
Should we worry? No. This isn't worth worrying about. Nothing good comes from working in that niche. I wouldn't even call it a niche. It's below any niche.
Maybe a typo? Well, so far no answer.
Now, 5 minutes later there are 11 applicants (or 10 minus mine)
Hope they are all applying with a "professional rate." Likely? Not very. Why would anyone think this is a serious person accepting adequate rates?

Only concern: on platform called "proz".com There's certainly nothing "pro" about this project posting and the "applicants." Don't mean to criticize Proz.com. But if we were all Proz here, there shouldn't be any people applying for this.

Positive point: the lower these budgets go, the more clearly it will be to anyone with a brain that this is nothing more than a joke, and unacceptable for any serious translator. Who's left to apply?! What's the outcome?!

Suggestion for Proz.com:
The warning shouldn' t read ... 80% ... but:

The budget entered for this job is below the rates charged by at least 99% of ProZ.com members for this pair and currency.

[Edited at 2015-10-20 15:26 GMT]

after the other translation website introduced their "Report ridiculous offers" and started to remove offers less than 0.05 USD, all the cheapest outsources have moved to Proz website.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:39
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
So, were you using 8 translators in that language pair as the numerator Oct 20, 2015

Jenae Spry wrote:

I wouldn't be concerned. There will always be people willing to work for low rates. There are 400k linguists registered on Proz so 8 comes to a percentage of 0.00002%.
)

but the total numbers of translators in all language pairs as a denominator?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this a joke? (MOD: clearly a mistake in the wordcount made by the outsourcer)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »