Backslashes appearing in job quotes (Staff: fixed)
Thread poster: Arabic & More
Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Aug 9, 2015

I have noticed over the past couple of days that whenever someone uses an apostrophe or quotation mark in a forum posting, the word displays incorrectly (with a backslash before the apostrophe), like this: can\'t, shouldn\'t, won\'t, etc.

This reminded me that I have had the same problem when quoting on jobs. I have learned to avoid using apostrophes when quoting on any job since the words display incorrectly, which presents a very bad impression to the person receiving the quotes.
... See more
I have noticed over the past couple of days that whenever someone uses an apostrophe or quotation mark in a forum posting, the word displays incorrectly (with a backslash before the apostrophe), like this: can\'t, shouldn\'t, won\'t, etc.

This reminded me that I have had the same problem when quoting on jobs. I have learned to avoid using apostrophes when quoting on any job since the words display incorrectly, which presents a very bad impression to the person receiving the quotes.

Is there any way this can be fixed? It\\\'s one thing if it happens on the forum and everyone is aware of the problem, but it really should not be happening during correspondence with potential clients.

[Edited at 2015-08-09 10:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-09 10:09 GMT]
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
There is already a forum discussion in English about this Aug 9, 2015

http://www.proz.com/topic/289342

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:44
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Also in forum posts. Aug 9, 2015

In a post I just made in another forum string. "backslashes" appear before opening and closing quotes. I have never noticed this before. I did not type any backslashes in this post.

[Edited at 2015-08-09 21:45 GMT]

Editing it transformed single backslashes into triple ones. This second edit may add more, we'll see. I have still not typed a single backslash myself.

[Edited at 2015-08-09 21:47 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-09 21:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-10 05:5
... See more
In a post I just made in another forum string. "backslashes" appear before opening and closing quotes. I have never noticed this before. I did not type any backslashes in this post.

[Edited at 2015-08-09 21:45 GMT]

Editing it transformed single backslashes into triple ones. This second edit may add more, we'll see. I have still not typed a single backslash myself.

[Edited at 2015-08-09 21:47 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-09 21:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-10 05:55 GMT]
Collapse

Norber (X)
Norber (X)
Germany
Backslashes, double messages and no dates in forum posts Aug 10, 2015

No dates in the forum posts.

Matt Petrowski
Matt Petrowski
United States
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Issue corrected Aug 10, 2015

Hello everyone,

This issue, which started late on Friday, has now been corrected. Unfortunately, posts since then will continue to display the extraneous backslashes, but new posts will not.

These will not be displayed with backslashes: ' "

Arabic & More
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Matt... Aug 10, 2015

I appreciate your quick response.

Regarding job quotes, however, the problem did not just start on Friday. The problem has been around for at least a couple of years, but I never mentioned it until now...when I saw that the problem had extended to the forums as well. I don't quote on many jobs, so I hope others will test out this issue and report back to share their experiences.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 09:44
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Thank you, Matt Aug 10, 2015

It has also been a problem on KudoZ for some time.

I wondered if it had something to do with my keyboard, which is basically qwerty, but includes the three extra Scandinavian letters on the right, æ Æ, ø Ø and å Å.

By using an acute accent (é with a space instead of the e, to give ´ ) I could get around the problem.

It would be super if you could look into it there too.

Many thanks again!

Maria Kopnitsky
Maria Kopnitsky  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Unable to replicate backslashes in job quotes and KudoZ Aug 13, 2015

Hello Amel and Christine,

I'm afraid I'm unable to reproduce either of the problems you two report here. Would you mind please submitting support requests to provide more information? It would helpful to know what steps you're taking to arrive at these errors, so that they can be replicated and hopefully resolved.

Thanks for your patience!

Best regards,

Maria

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:44
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Test Aug 13, 2015

I've typed this as a test to see if there's a backslash along with the apostrophes. And there isn't -so yes, the bug is fixed - thanks !

[Edited at 2015-08-13 22:21 GMT]

Arabic & More
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Maria... Aug 14, 2015

Here is what happens:

1. Click on (sample) job ad:

http://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/1051367

2. Click on "Please contact the outsourcer by e-mail" (at the bottom of the page):

http://www.proz.com/?sp=mailsend&job_id=1051367
... See more
Here is what happens:

1. Click on (sample) job ad:

http://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/1051367

2. Click on "Please contact the outsourcer by e-mail" (at the bottom of the page):

http://www.proz.com/?sp=mailsend&job_id=1051367

3. Now there is a field for you to write a message to the outsourcer. I write my message and then tick the box that says "Send a copy to yourself?" Then I send the message.

4. When I check my e-mail, I find the offending backslashes in the copy of the text I have written to the outsourcer.

If I recall correctly, another problem is that spaces do not appear between paragraphs, so the whole thing ends up being smushed together in a rather unattractive manner.

I hope this makes it clear what I am talking about. I really appreciate you following up with this!
Collapse

Maria Kopnitsky
Maria Kopnitsky  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks, Amel! Aug 14, 2015

Hello Amel,

My apologies, I thought you were referring to the quotes submitted through the "Submit quote" feature of the job posting form.

I'm testing this with the profile mail feature and see that backslashes are only being added erroneously in the subject field in the copy of the message that you send, in other words, in the subject of the email that you receive if you check the box next to the question "Send a copy to yourself?". It appears without a backslash to th
... See more
Hello Amel,

My apologies, I thought you were referring to the quotes submitted through the "Submit quote" feature of the job posting form.

I'm testing this with the profile mail feature and see that backslashes are only being added erroneously in the subject field in the copy of the message that you send, in other words, in the subject of the email that you receive if you check the box next to the question "Send a copy to yourself?". It appears without a backslash to the intended recipient.

I will continue to look into this and will request that changes be made, if necessary.

Thanks for providing more details!

Best regards,

Maria
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Backslashes appearing in job quotes (Staff: fixed)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »