The budget entered for this job is below the rates charged by at least 80% of ProZ.com members...
Thread poster: Michael Marcoux
Michael Marcoux
Michael Marcoux  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:23
Russian to English
+ ...
May 7, 2014

Has anyone seen this when looking at a job on the job board? Just saw that today for the first time. Is this new?

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sadly, no May 7, 2014

I see it pretty often :/

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:23
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
No, it's been around for a while May 7, 2014

Yet I wonder whether the job poster gets this message too.

The amazing thing is that the last one of these I saw had already received 10 bids.

Too many "desperate tranzlaters" everywhere, too many greedy outsourcers who haven't realized that machine translation is free and immediate, and that it's hard to say that there is a noticeable difference in the overall quality between these two options. They prefer to pay, no matter how little, for the mere privilege of having
... See more
Yet I wonder whether the job poster gets this message too.

The amazing thing is that the last one of these I saw had already received 10 bids.

Too many "desperate tranzlaters" everywhere, too many greedy outsourcers who haven't realized that machine translation is free and immediate, and that it's hard to say that there is a noticeable difference in the overall quality between these two options. They prefer to pay, no matter how little, for the mere privilege of having someone to blame for it.
Collapse

Michael Marcoux
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh. May 7, 2014

That's the first time I've seen it; it was for a NO > EN project. I never see that for RU > EN projects.

I'm wagering then that people don't stop and think that maybe they're getting taken advantage of?

Michael Marcoux
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If we're going to be REALLY cynical though... May 7, 2014

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

greedy outsourcers who haven't realized that machine translation is free and immediate, and that it's hard to say that there is a noticeable difference in the overall quality between these two options...

Sometimes I have to wonder if certain outsourcers are merely looking for native speakers who can take some MT crud and make it grammatically neat and tidy. In that case the end result is marginally better than MT but it APPEARS to be MUCH better than MT. Presentation, after all, is everything. So the final project shows up like a bum in a $2,000 tuxedo and no one catches on.

Unless a major catastrophe happens. I'm trying to recall that example of yours that I now oft love to cite...

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:23
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
e.g. May 8, 2014

Just got this one:

"We have a poorly translated spanish text and we would need
you to edit it so it's not so catastrophic. Its 14000 words
and our budget is €200, would you be able to accept this
job?"

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:23
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
LOW budget projects abound here May 8, 2014

Michael Marcoux wrote:

I never see that for RU > EN projects.

Really, Michael I'm surprised you have never seen this warning message for RU > EN projects. Unfortunately, I see it a lot of the time.

As an example, have you seen the one recently posted at 0.02 to 0.06 USD per page?

Michael Marcoux
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Huh May 8, 2014

Can't say I did, I'll go hunt for it now...

Do low bidders usually ask for specialized CAT tools? I don't use any aside from Omega T, so maybe I miss them for that reason?...

On a tangential note, pardon me for the brashness, but I've seen whole powergrids explode from the electricity overload that occurs when enraged translators congregate online to complain about low rates, but I've never had that problem, not even from day one. Heck, I even get 10 cents a word from t
... See more
Can't say I did, I'll go hunt for it now...

Do low bidders usually ask for specialized CAT tools? I don't use any aside from Omega T, so maybe I miss them for that reason?...

On a tangential note, pardon me for the brashness, but I've seen whole powergrids explode from the electricity overload that occurs when enraged translators congregate online to complain about low rates, but I've never had that problem, not even from day one. Heck, I even get 10 cents a word from the Russian translation agencies I work with. Sometimes I have wonder if translators complain so much about rates to scare away new comers like myself...
Collapse

Michael Marcoux
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ha! May 8, 2014

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro wrote:

"We have a poorly translated spanish text and we would need
you to edit it so it's not so catastrophic. Its 14000 words
and our budget is €200, would you be able to accept this
job?"

Who ends up accepting work like that anyways? Masochists?

Terence Noonan (X)
Terence Noonan (X)  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
They get almost exclusively non-native speakers at that end of the market May 8, 2014

I just read an ad for a ZH-EN translation which carried that "80%" notice. I then followed the link to the company website, and not surprisingly it was full of awkward Chinglish that was obviously done by a non-native speaker. If buyers don't know better, or can't afford better, or simply don't care, then let them have that. There are many places in the world where inferior products and services occupy a large percent of the market simply because their buyers cannot afford better. For this type ... See more
I just read an ad for a ZH-EN translation which carried that "80%" notice. I then followed the link to the company website, and not surprisingly it was full of awkward Chinglish that was obviously done by a non-native speaker. If buyers don't know better, or can't afford better, or simply don't care, then let them have that. There are many places in the world where inferior products and services occupy a large percent of the market simply because their buyers cannot afford better. For this type of buyer, getting a "sub-prime" translator is a viable alternative to getting no translation at all.Collapse

Carmen Salomón Hernández
Carmen Salomón Hernández  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I can't understand it Jun 20, 2014

Hello, I just got very upset because of an offer posted on this website and I thought I might use this post instead of opening a new one.

Terence Noonan wrote:

There are many places in the world where inferior products and services occupy a large percent of the market simply because their buyers cannot afford better. For this type of buyer, getting a "sub-prime" translator is a viable alternative to getting no translation at all.

I can understand that quality is not the only factor to take into account in some countries, but then you see offers like DE>SP 0,02 € per word and you get angry. Because German into Spanish is not exactly something you would expect to be a low-rate translation, but also because they ask for qualified, referenced and motivated translators who will work for 0,02 € per word.

And the worst is that they WILL get quotes.

[Edited at 2014-06-20 16:36 GMT]

translate cc (X)
translate cc (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
....and has it now been and gone (eighteen months or so later)? Jan 8, 2016

Michael Marcoux wrote:

Has anyone seen this when looking at a job on the job board? Just saw that today for the first time. Is this new?

There are a couple of jobs on the board today (8th Jan 2016), requesting my main combination of D>GB and offering workhouse oakum-picking rates. However the "health warning" to which this thread refers is no longer printed on the packet. Has there been a reverse of policy in this respect? I think we should be told!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:23
Member (2008)
Italian to English
international Jan 8, 2016

I, too, receive these offers of jobs at very low rates all the time.

I assume they emanate from countries where the standard of living, costs, and income levels are much lower than they are here in Europe and that although the rate might seem very low to me, it would not be low in the country from which the job offer emanates.

Maria Kopnitsky
Maria Kopnitsky  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Could you please provide some examples via your support request? Jan 8, 2016

translate cc wrote:

Michael Marcoux wrote:

There are a couple of jobs on the board today (8th Jan 2016), requesting my main combination of D>GB and offering workhouse oakum-picking rates. However the "health warning" to which this thread refers is no longer printed on the packet. Has there been a reverse of policy in this respect? I think we should be told!

Hello translate cc,

I confirm that this feature has not been removed, and the budget message should be visible in the relevant job postings. Could you please provide some examples of jobs that you think should be displaying this message in your support request on this issue? That will help me look into this to make sure that everything is working as it should.

Thank you!

Maria

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
How acute Mar 30, 2016

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

They prefer to pay, no matter how little, for the mere privilege of having someone to blame for it.

Sounds like an apt description.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The budget entered for this job is below the rates charged by at least 80% of ProZ.com members...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »