Experience with proofreading machine translations
Thread poster: Prudence Miller
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:06
French to English
the trouble Feb 18, 2018

The trouble with machine translation is that you can't ever get a feel for it. With a bad human translator, you can sense the traps they're going to fall into, the false friends they'll be lazy about, the fact that they don't bother to put ideas in a more natural order. With machine translation the mistakes are totally random.

When I find a mistake in a translation I'm proofeading, I like to search the entire text for any repetitions, and correct them all in one go. That way, when
... See more
The trouble with machine translation is that you can't ever get a feel for it. With a bad human translator, you can sense the traps they're going to fall into, the false friends they'll be lazy about, the fact that they don't bother to put ideas in a more natural order. With machine translation the mistakes are totally random.

When I find a mistake in a translation I'm proofeading, I like to search the entire text for any repetitions, and correct them all in one go. That way, when I proofread the last page, it will already read considerably better than the first, and I can even start making more subtle changes rather than correcting the basic errors.

Since machines make much more random mistakes, it isn't necessarily that much better by the time you get to the end.

I did it once, like OP, never again. Or only if they'll pay my translation rate, then I'll simply translate it, possibly referring to the machine translation for terminology (although double checking that it's OK of course)
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experience with proofreading machine translations

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »