Does MT improve the quality of your work?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:10
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mar 29, 2020

We all know MT is great for saving time, but I wonder if it also improves the quality of our translations. Maybe a delicate question, we like to think we always deliver top quality, or do we?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:10
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Mar 29, 2020

I’m not a big fan of CAT tools, I only use them (XTM) very occasionally for one client. In my view, it improves consistency and speed but not quality.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:10
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sometimes Mar 29, 2020

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I wonder if MT also improves the quality of our translations.

You know what, yes, I think it may actually improve the quality of fast-paced types of translations. For such translations, if one were forced to work at a slower speed (due to not using MT), it could introduce irregularities or inconsistencies in phrasing and terminology that would otherwise not be a problem in scenarios where the bulk of the typing work was already done by the machine.

Using statistical machine translation, or using more than one MT engine simultaneously, can also improve the quality of one's translation in the long run by making you aware of ways to translate that you would otherwise not have thought of, although that is a long-term effect and not something that influences quality of the specific text at hand.

Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Vadim Kadyrov

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Inconsistencies Mar 29, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

if one were forced to work at a slower speed (due to not using MT), it could introduce irregularities or inconsistencies in phrasing and terminology that would otherwise not be a problem in scenarios where the bulk of the typing work was already done by the machine.

I have observed the exact opposite: MT results in inconsistent vocabulary.

I'm not an MT fan. When I revise translations where the translator used MT as a starting point, I often notice inconsistencies, incorrect translations, awkward syntax and other problems. The translators too willingly and uncritically accept whatever MT proposes.

Some clients 'offer' me to use MT as a starting point (without reducing the rate), but I never use it, as it railroads my thoughts into an often unnatural syntax I wouldn't have chosen, and then I just have to start from scratch anyway. I feel that MT gets in the way of the creative process.

Only in very simple texts where the translation quality is not so important have I observed a time-saving advantage. It was consumers' replies to a survey that needed to be translated to the manufacturer's language, and the client expressly said that linguistic quality was not important. They paid 70% of my normal translation rate for this PEMT, and without applying any deductions for matches. It did not improve the quality, but it saved time.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Tom in London
John Fossey
Olga-Translator

Yurim Jung
Yurim Jung  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 20:10
Member (2020)
English to Korean
+ ...
I like working with machine translation programs. Mar 29, 2020

Does it improve consistency? Yes. But as we all know, not the quality of one's translations.
Anyway, as I wrote above, I like working with machine translation programs. They are useful.

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 07:10
Russian to English
+ ...
The quality of your work is a function of your skills and work ethics. Not of whether you use MT Mar 30, 2020

MT has nothing to do with the quality of your work. It is merely an expanded, automated version of your grandfather's paper dictionary (or rather, of a whole bunch of them working together, including combinatorics/collocation, etc. but that's not at issue here). You could start with MT and create a marvel. Or you could start from scratch and totally botch the job.

Based on my own experience, where MT may in fact play an important role is in giving you the ability to handle languages
... See more
MT has nothing to do with the quality of your work. It is merely an expanded, automated version of your grandfather's paper dictionary (or rather, of a whole bunch of them working together, including combinatorics/collocation, etc. but that's not at issue here). You could start with MT and create a marvel. Or you could start from scratch and totally botch the job.

Based on my own experience, where MT may in fact play an important role is in giving you the ability to handle languages of which you only have a limited understanding or, in theory, none at all. Naturally, it wouldn't help me much with, say, Swahili or Chinese, which I, blessedly, need not know anything about, but if, say, I come across a quote from or a reference to a Dutch source in a Russian or French legal text I am translating, then, between the MT translation, my rudimentary German, all the other European languages I do not speak:) and the general knowledge of the subject matter and related background I can easily figure out which is which in that piece of Dutch and offer a quality translation on a par with the rest of the text. If you ask me, that is a real advantage indeed, and it beats the heck out of having to insert [text in Dutch] or [me stoopid, me no understand].

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

The translators too willingly and uncritically accept whatever MT proposes.

This is a sign of insufficient qualifications and poor attitude. Such translations need to be summarily sent to reeducation camps:))))))))
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Robert Brown

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:10
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Different aspects Mar 30, 2020

In the last few months I have seen much improvement in Google MT, the only one I use.
Consistency: very dangerous. Because GT does not understand what it is doing, it tends to suggest different translations for the same term. If you are not careful, you end up with a text where important terms are translated inconsistently. Though each sentence might be perfect, the reader starts to wonder what you really mean.

Terminology: I often get jobs about subjects I have never heard of
... See more
In the last few months I have seen much improvement in Google MT, the only one I use.
Consistency: very dangerous. Because GT does not understand what it is doing, it tends to suggest different translations for the same term. If you are not careful, you end up with a text where important terms are translated inconsistently. Though each sentence might be perfect, the reader starts to wonder what you really mean.

Terminology: I often get jobs about subjects I have never heard of. Previously I would have done research to get a grasp of what it is all about and how the target audience would write about it. Now I look first what GT makes of it, recheck the result and often I am surprised how well GT "understands" the matter. I have then to decide if I follow the terminology from GT or if I find something better still. I often have the feeling that some people have already translated the text and GT offers me the fruit of others.

Grammar and syntax: years ago GT threw all verbs at the end of the segment when translating into German. Not anymore, most of the results read surprisingly well. But sometimes complicated structures are misunderstood.
Often I have to admit that my first attempt at translating a segment was inferior to the result of GT.
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
? Mar 30, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

I’m not a big fan of CAT tools, I only use them (XTM) very occasionally for one client. In my view, it improves consistency and speed but not quality.

It worries me that people are still confusing machine translation with CAT tools.

Thomas T. Frost
Sheila Wilson
Erik Freitag
Samuel Murray
Robert Brown

Cécile A.-C.
Cécile A.-C.
United States
Local time: 07:10
Member (2010)
Portuguese to French
+ ...
MT helps with speed not quality Mar 30, 2020

Since MT has built-in memory and glossaries set-up, it turns out to be useful speedwise but not necessarily in terms of quality of translations. Many suggestions need to be completely rephrased whereas others are helpful to put on the right track for the correct sentence.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
It can help you Mar 31, 2020

MT can help you to improve your work, as long as you stay in charge and know exactly what you are doing.

Automatic translation of whole documents with publicly accessible MT systems is not an option. Note the restriction "publicly accessible".

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Teresa Mar 31, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:
I’m not a big fan of CAT tools.

You don't need to use CAT tools in order to use MT. A client could send you a machine translated version of a file in e.g. Word format directly. Or you could use machine translation web sites like https://translate.google.com and https://www.bing.com/translator and https://translate.yandex.com etc. You can even programs installed on a computer, like https://quest-app.appspot.com and others. Heinrich's question is about using MT, not about using CAT tools.

[Edited at 2020-03-31 08:40 GMT]

Robert Brown

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Definitely not Mar 31, 2020

MT can help you to improve your work, as long as you stay in charge and know exactly what you are doing.

From my observations, most translators who use MT do not stay in charge and do not exactly know what they are doing. When reviewing someone else's work, I can often spot the use of MT by the translator. The signs of it are inconsistent vocabulary, stilted phrases, the lack of stylistic devices and, most importantly, errors that totally defy human logic. Admittedly, you don't need MT to do that because the same mistakes are made by very inexperienced translators, but this fact is certainly not to the credit of MT systems.

Automatic translation of whole documents with publicly accessible MT systems is not an option. Note the restriction "publicly accessible".

Every once in a while, I am asked to post-edit the output of some 'customised and specially trained MT engine'. What I see is maybe slightly less garbage than from publicly accessible systems, yet it's garbage all right.

[Edited at 2020-03-31 09:02 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thayenga
Olga-Translator

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does MT improve the quality of your work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »