Thread poster: Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:29
Spanish to English
Apr 15, 2014

Hello there.
I was wondering if anybody could recommended distance learning course for DIPTRANS.

many thanks

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cardiff University Apr 15, 2014

I was very happy with the Spanish-English distance course offered by Cardiff University. I learned a great deal and received thoughtful feedback. However, I was unable to find an exam site anywhere, and ended up not taking the exam after all.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
distance learning diptrans Apr 16, 2014

Thank you for your reply.

I do not want to go through a university,mainly because I live in Portugal and Uni courses tend to be very expensive.

I was looking at doing the studying and course here at hom eand then registering to do the exam with IOL.

I have seen several different websites offer the course with different prices.

You had mentioned Cardiff, I had looked at City University in London , but as I said very expensive.

I lo
... See more
Thank you for your reply.

I do not want to go through a university,mainly because I live in Portugal and Uni courses tend to be very expensive.

I was looking at doing the studying and course here at hom eand then registering to do the exam with IOL.

I have seen several different websites offer the course with different prices.

You had mentioned Cardiff, I had looked at City University in London , but as I said very expensive.

I looked at CIOL and they offered a totally different price.

I am still hoping that people can offer me other courses or alternatives

and yes I am looking at studying Spanish to English as I am just about to pass my DPSI in Spanish to English.
Collapse

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
IolET list Apr 16, 2014

Hi Luke,

There's a list of centres and courses, including distance learning courses, here: http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/CentresProviders/DTCentres.pdf

Like Jessica, I did the Cardiff University course (French rather than Spanish, though) and at the time it was excellent.

Good luck!
Karen

Olivia ORMSTON
Olivia ORMSTON  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:29
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
wls Apr 16, 2014

WLS à Dublin

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER

As my last post is not visible, just let me say :

I live in Portugal at the moment so will want to be studying from home.
I have found the University courses to be very expensive and for me I would not be able to go back to the university to do any exams.

I am looking for recommended course with I can prepare and study and like OU,
submit any course work via the internet.
Once I feel I am ready to take the exam I would do that with IOL.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:29
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Translator Training Apr 16, 2014

I did the Susanne James online course:
http://www.translator-training.com/

It changed its name last year to a rather unimaginative "Translator Training". I suppose the switch was for SEO purposes, but I prefer the personal name myself.

Names aside, I found the course very helpful. More details in a blog post I wrote abo
... See more

It changed its name last year to a rather unimaginative "Translator Training". I suppose the switch was for SEO purposes, but I prefer the personal name myself.

Names aside, I found the course very helpful. More details in a blog post I wrote about DipTrans and MITI here:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/06/11/diptrans-miti/
Collapse

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Names aside, I found the course very helpful. More details in a blog post I wrote about DipTrans and MITI here:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/06/11/diptrans-miti/

Hi Emma
I am glad you mentioned that online course as the cost is less than some universities.

I think I might do that one then if you recommend it.
I did take a look at the website but was unsure about its standing.

At present I am preparing to re-take 2 exams for my DPSI,but when I pass and move back to England I am thinking of starting to study for the DIPTRANS so I will have the complete package of interpreting and translating( although in hind sight, it would have been better for me to do translation, had I known that I was going to live in Portugal after my father passed away)
Anyway regarding MITI and DIPTRANS , as you said I have no qualifications, so I think I will be doing the exam through IOL.
many thanks for the info.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I did it with Apr 16, 2014

DPSI online and I was very happy with the course and tutor.

www.dpsionline.co.uk

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
distance learning course for DIPTRANS Apr 16, 2014

I am looking forward to passing my last DPSI exams and starting the translation course.

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
City University Apr 16, 2014

I did the Portuguese to English distance course at City University and thought it was extremely worthwhile. The lecturer who works with Portuguese is to be highly recommended. Although I had no previous experience of translating he was so good that I managed to get three Distinctions in the three exams (which I sat in Brazil). I only did modules 2 and 3 as I was late to register (end of March). You could do the same if money is an issue. When I did it each module was £300, so that would cost yo... See more
I did the Portuguese to English distance course at City University and thought it was extremely worthwhile. The lecturer who works with Portuguese is to be highly recommended. Although I had no previous experience of translating he was so good that I managed to get three Distinctions in the three exams (which I sat in Brazil). I only did modules 2 and 3 as I was late to register (end of March). You could do the same if money is an issue. When I did it each module was £300, so that would cost you £600 in total, which is reasonable I think.

Sorry, reading your post again I realise you want to do the course in Spanish to English but that you live in Portugal, is that right? There is a lot less competition in Portuguese should you change your mind!

[Edited at 2014-04-16 14:25 GMT]
Collapse

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER

Georgia Morgan wrote:

I did the Portuguese to English distance course at City University and thought it was extremely worthwhile. The lecturer who works with Portuguese is to be highly recommended. Although I had no previous experience of translating he was so good that I managed to get three Distinctions in the three exams (which I sat in Brazil). I only did modules 2 and 3 as I was late to register (end of March). You could do the same if money is an issue. When I did it each module was £300, so that would cost you £600 in total, which is reasonable I think.

Sorry, reading your post again I realise you want to do the course in Spanish to English but that you live in Portugal, is that right? There is a lot less competition in Portuguese should you change your mind!

The issue is that I have just spent £600 on my DPSI exams, I am having to resit 2 of these which is another £500, and I have no work from this yet, so for me money is very tight, I know that if I pass it will be worth while but, for me its not easy to come by, it takes a long time for me to obtain that sort of amount again.

So I dont want to sound cheap, but hope to do an online course for a reasonable amount, and then have to save a lot of money to take the exams, which I understand are very difficult.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER

Georgia Morgan wrote:

I was educated in Spain so speak fluent Spanish, I am also finalizing my DPSI Spanish -English Healthcare, so Spanish is the logical choice, plus I dont speak Portuguese.

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
Spanish Apr 16, 2014

Fair enough! it was just a thought. It cost me a fortune to take my Dip Trans exam in Brazil; fees, local fees, 2 nights in a hotel, fares, etc. My advice would be to do lots of reading in English before the exam. I read the Economist every week, for example, invaluable for the business/social science /general modules. I personally preferred doing the exam by hand, rather than on a computer. Examiners can see your thought processes from your crossings out! The other thing that is important and d... See more
Fair enough! it was just a thought. It cost me a fortune to take my Dip Trans exam in Brazil; fees, local fees, 2 nights in a hotel, fares, etc. My advice would be to do lots of reading in English before the exam. I read the Economist every week, for example, invaluable for the business/social science /general modules. I personally preferred doing the exam by hand, rather than on a computer. Examiners can see your thought processes from your crossings out! The other thing that is important and doesn't cost anything (I believe) is to look at past papers AND the comments examiners made on the scripts they received. Invaluable. Good luck, anyway.Collapse

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER

Georgia Morgan wrote:

Fair enough! it was just a thought. It cost me a fortune to take my Dip Trans exam in Brazil; fees, local fees, 2 nights in a hotel, fares, etc. My advice would be to do lots of reading in English before the exam. I read the Economist every week, for example, invaluable for the business/social science /general modules. I personally preferred doing the exam by hand, rather than on a computer. Examiners can see your thought processes from your crossings out! The other thing that is important and doesn't cost anything (I believe) is to look at past papers AND the comments examiners made on the scripts they received. Invaluable. Good luck, anyway.

my intention is to do medical translations as I would already have a start with my interpreting.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

distance learning course for DIPTRANS

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »