Adapt features in ModernMT what do they actually do while translating?
Thread poster: Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:23
English to French
+ ...
Nov 19, 2020

If you are using ModernMT you may have heard that it adapts to you or something similar.

That’s correct, ModernMT has adaptive features built in that you can leverage when you are using a dedicated ModernMT connector. Such are available in SDL, MemoQ and more.
When you are using these features, the ModernMT output can be adapted on 3 levels:
A_Context (your whole document is taken into account as context to influence MT output.
B_Cloud MT (you upload a TM to the
... See more
If you are using ModernMT you may have heard that it adapts to you or something similar.

That’s correct, ModernMT has adaptive features built in that you can leverage when you are using a dedicated ModernMT connector. Such are available in SDL, MemoQ and more.
When you are using these features, the ModernMT output can be adapted on 3 levels:
A_Context (your whole document is taken into account as context to influence MT output.
B_Cloud MT (you upload a TM to the cloud
C_Segments edits (committed segments are sent back to the ModernMT cloud and used to influence future MT output)

This may seem obscure, so to see if it actually works, I performed a few tests and created a video demonstrating how and when these work. You can check it out here: https://youtu.be/p1RIVC3II3w
NB: If you are already using ModernMT through a dedicated connector, but you started quick with it and did no do any customization, here is what happens:
_Context works for you
_Segment edits work for you because at the moment, the default behaviour in ModernMT when you do not configure cloud TMs is to create an invisible TM where you segments edit are sent so you can benefit from this feature even without setting things up further.
I hope this clarifies a little.

My bests
Collapse

Artur Heinrich
Jorge Payan

Artur Heinrich
Artur Heinrich  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 15:23
French to German
+ ...
Wordfast Pro Dec 15, 2020

I am looking forward to use it in WFP 5. Thank you.

Philippe Locquet

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:23
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Meanwhile... Dec 15, 2020

Artur Heinrich wrote:

I am looking forward to use it in WFP 5. Thank you.

Indeed!
For those that don't want to wait, ModernMT gives 1 month trial for free. It is possible to connect it now using the Wordfast Server method I describe here: https://youtu.be/DsBN9_jxMAU
It should be possible to connect it via the Custom MT fiedl in the next Pro 5 release.
These methods allow to work with ModernMT in Pro 5 but do not grant access to "Adapt features". We'll have to wait for a full connector for this (probably in Pro 6).
If you want the feature, don't hesitate to ask for it on the hotline and FB group.

My bests

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Adapt features in ModernMT what do they actually do while translating?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »