Anna Augustin
Anna Augustin
Germany
Local time: 07:10
English to German
+ ...
Jan 7, 2019

Hi everyone,

I have run into an issue and maybe someone can help me out.

An agency asked me to do a project for them, however, they declined after I had told them that I don't have SDL Trados, I only have a license for memoQ.
It was very nice of them to still send me the sample translation so that I could see if the sdlxliff file works with memoQ as well, which it definitely should, but memoQ seems to have omitted crucial parts.

The segments seemed al
... See more
Hi everyone,

I have run into an issue and maybe someone can help me out.

An agency asked me to do a project for them, however, they declined after I had told them that I don't have SDL Trados, I only have a license for memoQ.
It was very nice of them to still send me the sample translation so that I could see if the sdlxliff file works with memoQ as well, which it definitely should, but memoQ seems to have omitted crucial parts.

The segments seemed all over the place and totally random. I asked the PM if it is supposed to look the way it looks on my end, and she said that there are tags being left out that would make the whole document come together (like headlines maybe?)

Maybe someone knows a fix for this? Or maybe someone knows that this definitely will not work?
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:10
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Opening a sdlxliff file in MemoQ Jan 7, 2019

When I open a sdlxliff file in MemoQ I get a warning that MemoQ may not segment the file the same way as SDL Trados Studio. So I open it in SDL (I have both), copy all source segments to target and save. Then I open it in MemoQ and delete all target segments and begin translating. This procedure forces segmentation to be the same as SDL Trados' way. The sdlxliff file translated in MemoQ opens in SDL Trados without any problem.

MemoQ sometimes shows tags at the beginning and end of a
... See more
When I open a sdlxliff file in MemoQ I get a warning that MemoQ may not segment the file the same way as SDL Trados Studio. So I open it in SDL (I have both), copy all source segments to target and save. Then I open it in MemoQ and delete all target segments and begin translating. This procedure forces segmentation to be the same as SDL Trados' way. The sdlxliff file translated in MemoQ opens in SDL Trados without any problem.

MemoQ sometimes shows tags at the beginning and end of a segment that SDL Trados doesn't show. These are usually formatting tags, where MemoQ shows a tag while SDL Trados shows the actual format. For example, bold text shows in SDL Trados as bold text, with no opening and closing tags, while in MemoQ it shows as plain text but surrounded by an opening and closing tag.

Since you don't have SDL Trados, could you ask your client to copy all source segments to target before sending you the sdlxliff file? This might solve your problem.

[Edited at 2019-01-07 13:30 GMT]
Collapse

Anna Augustin
Anna Augustin
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDLXLIFF in memoQ Jan 7, 2019

Thanks very much for your answer. It seems odd, though, because memoQ can also show formats like bold or underlined etc. So it would already be bold or whatnot in the source, but it can also have a format tag.

Exporting it from SDL in order to import it to MemoQ seems a bit weird, also MemoQ does have the SDLXLIFF Filter installed, there was no warning on my end.

Well, it's a missed opportunity for me, because they specifically said that there's no way for us to work to
... See more
Thanks very much for your answer. It seems odd, though, because memoQ can also show formats like bold or underlined etc. So it would already be bold or whatnot in the source, but it can also have a format tag.

Exporting it from SDL in order to import it to MemoQ seems a bit weird, also MemoQ does have the SDLXLIFF Filter installed, there was no warning on my end.

Well, it's a missed opportunity for me, because they specifically said that there's no way for us to work together unless I buy a Trados license and I must only ever use that.
Still, I find it odd that the sdlxliff filter didn't work as intended. I thought it might have been an issue on my end.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:10
English to Russian
Can't see any difference Jan 8, 2019

My memoQ imports sdlxliff without any messages or warnings. An sdlxliff file is a pre-segmented file so memoQ does not even try to segment it from scratch... All tags are in their relevant places. The number of segments in memoQ is exactly the same as in Studio.
Does your sdlxliff file include a table of content by any chance (you mentioned some 'like headlines maybe')? Unlike Studio, memoQ skips ToC by default (but NOT actually omits, just temporarily hides—you can update it once your
... See more
My memoQ imports sdlxliff without any messages or warnings. An sdlxliff file is a pre-segmented file so memoQ does not even try to segment it from scratch... All tags are in their relevant places. The number of segments in memoQ is exactly the same as in Studio.
Does your sdlxliff file include a table of content by any chance (you mentioned some 'like headlines maybe')? Unlike Studio, memoQ skips ToC by default (but NOT actually omits, just temporarily hides—you can update it once your translation work is done). Maybe this causes the 'omitted crucial parts' effect?

What regards 'formats like bold or underlined etc', unlike Studio again, memoQ does not need additional formatting tags for that. However, since Studio does, memoQ has to render such formatting tags from Studio. That is why memoQ keeps Studio's tags instead of applying its generic font formatting.
It is difficult to troubleshoot your case without seeing what is going on on your side. I don't experience any problem with importing sdlxliff to memoQ... Even with different language variants.
By the way, did you try to fiddle with configuration settings (Import with options > SDLXLIFF filter > Change filter and configuration > 'Languages' radio buttons)? Maybe that is the clue.
Also you can try any other sdlxliff. Ask your colleagues or friends who use Studio to send you an sdlxliff to test the sdlxliff-memoQ behavior.
Sorry for no specific help =)

[Edited at 2019-01-08 03:51 GMT]
Collapse

Anna Augustin

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:10
English to Russian
Jan 8, 2019

[Edited at 2019-01-08 04:00 GMT]

Anna Augustin
Anna Augustin
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actually specific help! Jan 8, 2019

Good morning Stepan,

Actually, you helped me a very great deal! What you describe seems to be exactly the problem.
It was the client who said that it is certain tags that are being omitted, that was not my wording. But you're on to something here with the ToC. That seems to be what has happened.

I will check it as soon as I am on my computer! Thank you already so much!!!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

SDL Trados Tags in memoQ

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »