A free online PEMT guide
Thread poster: il barbaro
il barbaro
il barbaro
Italy
Local time: 19:12
Oct 17, 2018

An absolutely free primer on post-editing of machine translation is being published on the sQuid website.

The guide is available in chapters, which can be accessed from the table of contents.

To date, the first three chapters are already available. The fourth chapter will be published on Oct 22 and the last one on Oct 29.

Each chapter is password protected. The passwords can be requested through
... See more
An absolutely free primer on post-editing of machine translation is being published on the sQuid website.

The guide is available in chapters, which can be accessed from the table of contents.

To date, the first three chapters are already available. The fourth chapter will be published on Oct 22 and the last one on Oct 29.

Each chapter is password protected. The passwords can be requested through an ad-hoc form.

The passwords to the last two chapter will be emailed to applicants when each chapter is published. If you request the passwords after Oct 29, you will receive an email containing all passwords.

[Edited at 2018-10-18 12:07 GMT]
Collapse

Eric Le Carre
Eric Le Carre  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Missing information Oct 18, 2018

Hi Luigi,

The last part of your message is missing.

Where can we get the password(s) to access the chapters?

Do you intend to publish a (password-protected?) PDF version of your (full?) PEMT guide?

Thank you for your answers.

Best regards

Eric

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
The suspense is killing me! Oct 18, 2018

Eric Le Carre wrote:

The last part of your message is missing.

Where can we get the password(s) to access the chapters?

Actually it's not. Just a malformed /a href/ tag that messed things up. If you click on the "quote" button under the OP's post you'll see the link in the quoted text.

[Edited at 2018-10-18 12:08 GMT]

il barbaro
il barbaro
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Missing information Oct 18, 2018

To request the passwords to access the first three chapters of the guide simply fill in the form available at http://www.s-quid.it/en/cosa/pubblicazioni/pemt/.

The passwords will then be sent to the email address specified in the form.

A paid ebook version of the guide is in preparation. It will be available most probably one week after the last chapter will be
... See more
To request the passwords to access the first three chapters of the guide simply fill in the form available at http://www.s-quid.it/en/cosa/pubblicazioni/pemt/.

The passwords will then be sent to the email address specified in the form.

A paid ebook version of the guide is in preparation. It will be available most probably one week after the last chapter will be published, either as ePUB or PDF file. Instructions to download the guide and receive the relevant passwords will be available on the website.
Collapse

Silvia Schulz
Silvia Schulz
Netherlands
English to German
+ ...
Misleading headline - free but not really Oct 19, 2018

Hi Luigi (I assume),

You are basically trying to sell your guide as only the first 3 chapters are free. Best of luck.

Please note that not everyone here on Proz likes it when the platform is used for selling/advertising stuff.

Cheers,
Silvia

il barbaro
il barbaro
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Misleading headline - free but not really Oct 19, 2018

Silvia, I'm afraid you have been mistaken.

The guide is free, totally free. You must register to read it, though, and enter five different passwords for each chapter. Why? Because I'm sick and tired of people re-using my stuff without even quoting/thanking me for that and peddling it as theirs.

The chapters are being published weekly, and the first three are already available. And you're right, they're free. The fourth chapter will be published next Monday and the last
... See more
Silvia, I'm afraid you have been mistaken.

The guide is free, totally free. You must register to read it, though, and enter five different passwords for each chapter. Why? Because I'm sick and tired of people re-using my stuff without even quoting/thanking me for that and peddling it as theirs.

The chapters are being published weekly, and the first three are already available. And you're right, they're free. The fourth chapter will be published next Monday and the last one on Oct 29. And they're going to be free too.

I'm afraid you are assuming too much, and you know, when you assume...

As per using ProZ for selling/advertising, we should have a different experience of the platform, since I see ads everyday, for courses, webinars, and stuff. And most of them are all but free, while, again, the guide is totally, absolutely free of charge to read for registered users.

Be good.

[Edited at 2018-10-19 10:37 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:12
English to Russian
Incredible Oct 19, 2018

Not just selling, but selling a guide on how to make our (translators') work cheaper.
"Itiods wanted urgently"

il barbaro
il barbaro
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
When knowledge is free Oct 19, 2018

Stepan Konev wrote:

Not just selling, but selling a guide on how to make our (translators') work cheaper.
"Itiods wanted urgently"

This world is full of people who think they're smart.
You are free not to read it. Free... what a nice word.
Knowledge will set you free.
"You were not made to live as brutes,/but to follow virtue and knowledge
Fatti non foste a viver come bruti/Ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza"

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:12
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
That's only for Trados Oct 19, 2018

Silvia Schulz wrote:

You are basically trying to sell your guide as only the first 3 chapters are free. Best of luck.

It's the normal process for selling e-books nowadays, like the "Look inside" feature available on most books at Amazon; I also use it to decide whether I will translate a book or not.

Silvia Schulz wrote:
Please note that not everyone here on Proz likes it when the platform is used for selling/advertising stuff.

This is relative. I must reckon that I first saw Infix - the PDF editor - on an ad here on Proz. I'll never know if I was (one of) the first, or the only one, to write Iceni suggesting to develop it for translating and adjusting DTP on PDF files. I became a user, beta-tester, and promoter. To date, I haven't seen it advertised elsewhere, so it was good that I saw its ad on Proz.

Conversely, here on Proz there is an ever growing number of fanatic worshippers who demand Trados as the first, foremost, and often only requirement for anyone to be a professional translator. They won't give the time of day to "infidels" who use other CAT tools, or none. And Proz seems quite happy in covertly supporting this struggle for supremacy. These zealots don't care much about experience, qualifications, subject matter specialization, as long as all their translators have Trados.

Personally, I enjoy this underhanded style of sales promotion sooo much, that it was one of the key reasons I stepped down from being a paying member to a free user, because, as Proz would probably state it, 'I use wordfast, not SDL TRADOS"

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Silvia Oct 19, 2018

Silvia Schulz wrote:
You are basically trying to sell your guide as only the first 3 chapters are free.

How do you know only the first three chapters will be free? Luigi said that all five chapters will be free (for a while), so what is your information based on?

[Edited at 2018-10-19 10:32 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
demand Oct 19, 2018

Is there really such a trendy need for human "re-translation" after "machine messing", let alone without the original? Just a dirty marketing ploy for damping, IMO

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

A free online PEMT guide

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »