Conducting a survey about post-editing
Thread poster: Anika Kulisch
Anika Kulisch
Anika Kulisch
Germany
Local time: 09:02
English to German
Jan 24, 2018

Hi everyone, I've already posted about this survey a month ago (here is the old post with the German version).

Unfortunately, not many people took and actually completed it, partly because it was in German only, I guess. So, I'm back with an here is the old post with the German version).

Unfortunately, not many people took and actually completed it, partly because it was in German only, I guess. So, I'm back with an English version and would be happy if some people could spare some 5 minutes or so to answer some questions about post-editing.

Thank you very much!

Also, if you'd like to give feedback, feel free to do so.
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:02
Russian to English
+ ...
I started your survey but... Jan 31, 2018

I bailed out, because it assumes that one works as a post-editor, which I don't and never will. I often use MT in my own translation work as a tool, however, because it can be helpful with vocabulary and saves a lot of typing. Of course, everything has to be checked and MT is often wildly wrong.

See this interesting article: "The Shall
... See more
I bailed out, because it assumes that one works as a post-editor, which I don't and never will. I often use MT in my own translation work as a tool, however, because it can be helpful with vocabulary and saves a lot of typing. Of course, everything has to be checked and MT is often wildly wrong.

See this interesting article: "The Shallowness of Google Translate": https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/01/the-shallowness-of-google-translate/551570/
Collapse

Joohee Kim
Joohee Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 17:02
Member (2017)
English to Korean
+ ...
Done Jan 31, 2018

Finished

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:02
German to English
+ ...
same problem Feb 1, 2018

The English version has the same problem as the German one had. One has to have accepted to do this kind of work, in order to be able to fill out the questionnaire.

Anika Kulisch
Anika Kulisch
Germany
Local time: 09:02
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your feedback Feb 1, 2018

It's very much appreciated. The survey was indeed targeted at people already working as post-editors, but both my fellow student and I have now come to realize that this is only a very small part of the translators' community and we should have thought about that beforehand (but now that the semester is almost over, it's unfortunately too late to start over again).
Lesson learned. We will definitely consider your input in future research. Thanks again.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Conducting a survey about post-editing

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »