Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How important is the size of your monitor to your work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Alex Lichanow
Alex Lichanow
Germany
Local time: 07:08
Member (2020)
English to German
+ ...
Essential Jun 18, 2019

I am working with two 24" FHD screens at 1920x1080, my main screen being a gaming monitor with very short response time, and I could never go back to working with smaller screens or only one screen again. Two reasonably large screens at a very wide angle (though not 180°) make working so much easier.
I used to work with one 22" screen when I was still employed, and constantly switching between Outlook, Lotus Notes (yes, we used both), Transit, and Internet Explorer (don't judge please) on
... See more
I am working with two 24" FHD screens at 1920x1080, my main screen being a gaming monitor with very short response time, and I could never go back to working with smaller screens or only one screen again. Two reasonably large screens at a very wide angle (though not 180°) make working so much easier.
I used to work with one 22" screen when I was still employed, and constantly switching between Outlook, Lotus Notes (yes, we used both), Transit, and Internet Explorer (don't judge please) on this one screen was a major pain.
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:08
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Size of monitor(s) Jun 18, 2019

Hi
I couldn't imagine myself working without my 27" + 23" monitors. CAT tool or other active program is in front of me, mail client, Safari and other auxiliary tools are on the second monitor on the right. Just curious to know if somebody is working with a curved monitor with 27"+ real estate...

Nilton Junior
Nilton Junior  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:08
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Essential Jun 18, 2019

Michael Harris wrote:

Laptop has 18"
Main computer 2x 27" monitors.

One of my customers uses 32" TV´s in their office and I was really impressed as they had absolutely everything on one screen.

I used a 32" TV for many years and upgraded to a 46" one when it died. A couple of years later, I decided I wanted to try a 34" ultrawide monitor.

As soon as I got it out of the box, my first thought was "What the [bleep] have I done?" because it was minuscule and expensive compared to my daily driver. I gave it a try nonetheless and simply fell in love with it. Being able to place three or four documents at same time on the screen is absolutely priceless.

I could not bring my monitor with me when I moved to Portugal, so I made sure to get a similar unit here. When the upgrade bug gets the best of me again, I am probably going for a 49" ultrawide monitor, something like this.

Camila bryant
Camila bryant
United States
24 for me Jun 18, 2019

I personally agree with what Anne has said; it's pixel that matters. However, I personally think that whatever monitor you use, if you have been using it for years and you really get used to it, then it will be perfect for you.

Yuan Zhao
Yuan Zhao
Australia
2 monitors Jun 18, 2019

I personally think having 2 monitors side by side is far more important to me than the size of the monitors, especially when I am working on a non-SDL assignment where I can drag one document onto one screen and compare it with another screen.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How important is the size of your monitor to your work?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »