Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many physical books would you say you have in your house?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 07:34
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
More than a thousand May 15, 2019

Bookshelves on three floors. They give me a pre-orgastic physical pleasure that electronic books don't elicit.

I thought a love of books and language was what brought people into the realm of translation, so I'm frankly flabbergasted almost 2 percent answer they have no books.

[Edited at 2019-05-15 20:48 GMT]

Bettina Dauch

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Far too many for a minimalist May 15, 2019

We have a formalized version of "leaving books for others to find" - the neighbourhood initiative has bought an old phone booth, had it spray-painted in a non-phone-booth colour, and turned it into a tiny free library. I take some, return some, leave some, and sometimes sift out the sect booklets and outdated computer manuals to chuck them in the recycling.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 01:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
300 to 600 May 16, 2019

I had to downsize considerably when my husband died and I moved from a rather large house to a 3-room apartment. And yet I keep acquiring more. I can't seem to help myself.

--Jane

Susanna Martoni
Christine Andersen
Alice Crisan

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:34
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
20 - 100 May 16, 2019

1. My wife is a lawyer, so she has many books.
2. I usually don't keep most of the literature books I read. Only those that have a chance of being read again.
3. I got rid of all paper dictionaries, several guides, grammar books, school textbooks, etc. when I realized they'd never be touched again thanks to Mr. Google.
So we do have many books, but I don't think there are 100.

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:34
Member (2014)
French to Latvian
+ ...
Other May 16, 2019

I thought a love of books and language was what brought people into the realm of translation, so I'm frankly flabbergasted almost 2 percent answer they have no books.

[Edited at 2019-05-15 20:48 GMT]

Loving to read doesn't mean you also have to own a lot of books. I've moved around quite a lot, so I've developed a habit to give them away once in a while, only keeping a few special ones. I currently have several piles of books. When they become too high, I just send them over to my mother. She almost never buys books and borrows them from the local library instead.
I also have an e-reader which is convenient for traveling and for books I couldn't easily get otherwise.

Dan Lucas

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:34
French to English
:) May 18, 2019

Ricki Farn wrote:

We have a formalized version of "leaving books for others to find" - the neighbourhood initiative has bought an old phone booth, had it spray-painted in a non-phone-booth colour, and turned it into a tiny free library. I take some, return some, leave some, and sometimes sift out the sect booklets and outdated computer manuals to chuck them in the recycling.

What a great idea!

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
how many books May 18, 2019

1,000s and 1,000s (Russian, Chinese, Japanese, French, Greek, English). When I recently moved, I had 125 cartons of books. I am completely impervious to Marie Kondo's decluttering gospel. (would she ever tell the Louvre to get rid of the paintings they didn't want?!)

Hege Jakobsen Lepri

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
OMG. I must be a hoarder May 19, 2019

At least 20,000 in 600 languages. And that is after donating / selling at least 10,000

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
less than 20 May 19, 2019

Hege Jakobsen Lepri wrote:
Bookshelves on three floors. They give me a pre-orgastic physical pleasure that electronic books don't elicit.

I used to read a lot, but that has ceased with becoming a translator.
After spending all day looking at letters, the last thing I want to see in the evenings is more letters, so these days, I only read when I'm on holiday.

I am looking forward to finally finishing "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace during my summer vacation this year -- it will actually be my third vacation in a row I'll be spending with this insanely great work.
The paperback version of the book was so heavy that I kept tearing it into small parts that I could actually hold in front of my face without getting cramps.
Finally, I just loaded an app version of the book into my cell phone, which also makes it much easier to deal with the hundreds of footnotes involved.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Can't be bothered to count May 19, 2019

My living room has one 2-meter tall bookcase, as well as two 3.5-meter bookshelves. My office has one 2-meter bookcase containing dictionaries and reference books; there is also as a smaller one containing less commonly used books, manuals for old software (from when such material was provided in hard copy), etc. My spare bedroom has 3 2-meter bookcases as well as 2 smaller cases. There is a smaller bookcase in my bedroom that contains double rows of books, plus a couple of stacks of novels on t... See more
My living room has one 2-meter tall bookcase, as well as two 3.5-meter bookshelves. My office has one 2-meter bookcase containing dictionaries and reference books; there is also as a smaller one containing less commonly used books, manuals for old software (from when such material was provided in hard copy), etc. My spare bedroom has 3 2-meter bookcases as well as 2 smaller cases. There is a smaller bookcase in my bedroom that contains double rows of books, plus a couple of stacks of novels on the floor. Each year I donate a few dozen books to a local do-good society that has an annual book sale. My scholarly books dating from when I was a Germanist are elsewhere gathering dust.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many physical books would you say you have in your house?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »