Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Has your name ever affected your credibility as a translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 05:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not sure... Sep 5, 2017

Although my surname sounds a bit sweary in Spanish (mecagüen)... The usual reaction is a chortle.

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:49
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Never as a translator Sep 5, 2017

My name has never affected my credibility as a translator, but when travelling I have been mistaken for a member of the landed gentry on account of it.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:49
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Sep 5, 2017

In my case, two very common Brazilian names, there's no possible confusion. The person sees my name and sees a Brazilian citizen automatically.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
probably Sep 5, 2017

Probably yes, at the beginning.

I come from Sardinia, and without entering a long discussion about how we are considered by the rest of Italian people and in particular in the north of Italy, I think i was considered like someone who could not speak/understand English and not even speak Italian properly...
After 17 years this problem does not exist anymore.

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
No Sep 6, 2017

My name sounds really Italian, although it is often misspelled in "Basile" which is more common. But before knowing my name, most people I meet for the first time assume I'm either Lebanese/Iranian/Syrian or from Spanish-speaking South America, occasionally also Turkish. I guess I just don't look Italian :'D

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
don't think so Sep 6, 2017

But then how would I ever know if I've been passed by because of my name? I suppose it sounds English enough for people to trust that I'm a native speaker though.

My first name is female in the UK and most places but male in Germany and Italy. I was working for years with an Italian woman (who asked me to proofread stuff written in English by Germans and various other continental nationalities), exclusively by email. Then one day she phoned me and was astonished to learn that I was
... See more
But then how would I ever know if I've been passed by because of my name? I suppose it sounds English enough for people to trust that I'm a native speaker though.

My first name is female in the UK and most places but male in Germany and Italy. I was working for years with an Italian woman (who asked me to proofread stuff written in English by Germans and various other continental nationalities), exclusively by email. Then one day she phoned me and was astonished to learn that I was a woman!
Collapse

Carla Catolino
Carla Catolino
Italy
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 6, 2017

I am Canadian born, went to University in Canada and am an English speaker. I translate from Italian and French to English. My parents are Italian and gave me an Italian name....I am always asked if I am really Canadian because of my name. I hate that I am always asked by my colleagues if I can translate from English to Italian (I can't since Italian is a complicated language)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Has your name ever affected your credibility as a translator?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »