Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: When was the last time you had to speak to a client by phone or in person?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 08:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Almost every day Aug 18, 2017

I receive several calls daily. My clients contact me via Skype, email or even WhatsApp. Many of them prefer to send the documents via WhatsApp and then they call me.
Telephone conversations are still very common in my country.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:55
German to English
+ ...
"had to"? Aug 18, 2017

The wording makes it sound like something one wants to avoid but is forced to do.

I work for a lot of end clients since I provide certified translations, which are quasi-mandatory here for certain kinds of translations. So I regularly get calls asking "Do you translate German to English? Can you do a certified translation of my [document]?" It's just part of the job.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:55
Member (2006)
German to English
Had to Aug 18, 2017

or want to? I never really have to speak to my customers, but every now and then I find it better to have a quick talk to them than just to write.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:55
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's pretty common, unfortunately Aug 18, 2017

Although I see no plausible reason for a client or agency to call me, it happens regularly, practically every week. Most of the time, the calls are a reflex of the PM's insecurity in trusting e-mail correspondence. I think it's pretty old-fashioned and absolutely unnecessary. But I know several people who prefer to go to the bank and waiting in line to pay their bills instead of comofrtably paying them at home through the web. So WTF.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Unnecessary? Aug 19, 2017

I beg to differ. Different people have different communication needs, and one preference shouldn't be interpreted as a sign of weakness, inadequacy, insecurity or any other error.

Our colleagues who caught the curious use of “had to speak to a client by phone or in person” as if the intent were a chore one does not look forward to, or a problematic situation (almost the equivalent of Francis, can I see you in my office?) deserve applause.

Now that I look at t
... See more
I beg to differ. Different people have different communication needs, and one preference shouldn't be interpreted as a sign of weakness, inadequacy, insecurity or any other error.

Our colleagues who caught the curious use of “had to speak to a client by phone or in person” as if the intent were a chore one does not look forward to, or a problematic situation (almost the equivalent of Francis, can I see you in my office?) deserve applause.

Now that I look at the original question after two cups of coffee and a whole day, I have to say: where did the original poster get this idea? What moved him/her to write such clunky question? It's not sensationalist, thought-provoking or even titillating: it is just poorly written.

Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When was the last time you had to speak to a client by phone or in person?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »