Thread poster: Andrew Cowderoy
Andrew Cowderoy
Andrew Cowderoy
Local time: 16:22
English to French
+ ...
Dec 16, 2019

Dear all,
I am having trouble with a .docx file exported from OmegaT (v. 4.3.1, first translation with this version after upgrading). When I try to open the file in Word 2016, I get the following error message:
"We're sorry. We can't open [FILENAME] because we found a problem with its contents.
Details
XML parsing error

Same error with slightly different wording in Word 2010 on a different compu
... See more
Dear all,
I am having trouble with a .docx file exported from OmegaT (v. 4.3.1, first translation with this version after upgrading). When I try to open the file in Word 2016, I get the following error message:
"We're sorry. We can't open [FILENAME] because we found a problem with its contents.
Details
XML parsing error

Same error with slightly different wording in Word 2010 on a different computer. Google docs won't open it either. I can open the file with Wordpad, but the content stops after about 3-4 pages (should be over 30), and the file size is about 60kb, as opposed to over 90kb for the original. So I am losing a lot of the document at export.
I’m all for learning to repair this troublesome Word file, but it won’t solve the recurring problem created during export. This is only a draft, the final version of the translation is yet to come.
Tags are on in OmegaT, but I am not reproducing them in my translation (I generally do this, never been a problem before). The source file, which opens just fine in Word, is exported from a website and contains some URLs, tables and such. Nothing too exotic upon the face of things.
Is there anything I should be looking for in OmegaT or in the source file that could be causing problems at export? From Wordpad I can identify a point at which the export stops, perhaps I should start there?
Any help would be appreciated.
Kind regards,
Andrew
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:22
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You do it wrong Dec 17, 2019

> Tags are on in OmegaT, but I am not reproducing them in my translation

I am 99% sure that is the cause of your problem. Reproduce tags and verify them before producing target files.

Andrew Cowderoy
Rita Translator
John Fossey

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Insert all tags at end of segment? Dec 17, 2019

esperantisto wrote:

> Tags are on in OmegaT, but I am not reproducing them in my translation

I am 99% sure that is the cause of your problem. Reproduce tags and verify them before producing target files.

Does oT (like CT) have a feature 'Insert all tags at end of segment'?

Andrew Cowderoy

Andrew Cowderoy
Andrew Cowderoy
Local time: 16:22
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tags are the problem Dec 17, 2019

Thanks for your replies. Tags were indeed the problem. For anyone having similar problems, here's what I did:

- Open exported file in Wordpad, see where the document ends.
- If the exported file is incomplete (i.e. end of translation is not exported), identify end of exported file and find corresponding text in OmegaT.
- See if any tags are missing, and insert if yes.

Tags are a bit of mystery to me so far, but if this can help anyone it won't have all been
... See more
Thanks for your replies. Tags were indeed the problem. For anyone having similar problems, here's what I did:

- Open exported file in Wordpad, see where the document ends.
- If the exported file is incomplete (i.e. end of translation is not exported), identify end of exported file and find corresponding text in OmegaT.
- See if any tags are missing, and insert if yes.

Tags are a bit of mystery to me so far, but if this can help anyone it won't have all been in vain.

All the best!
Collapse

Dat Le

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:22
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Automatically Dec 18, 2019

Hans Lenting wrote:

Does oT (like CT) have a feature 'Insert all tags at end of segment'?

I am not sure what you mean under CT. As for OmegaT, when tags are disabled (a project-specific feature), they (more precisely, items from source document that appear as tags in the editor window) are moved to the end of the segment in the target document. However, this can result in problems with target documents, although this happens quite rarely.

[Edited at 2019-12-18 14:14 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Word export won't open: XML parsing error

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »