Marion Lambert-Nuding
Marion Lambert-Nuding  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:30
English to French
+ ...
Jan 18, 2018

Hi,

I am sharing this rather large translation project with another translator which has led to various versions of the TM. I've just had to go and retrieve back up files from the omegat folder in order to retrieve translated segments from a month or so ago, which looked like it had done the trick but now my translated document won't open in Word (it opens in Wordpad, but with a completely different formating and putting it right would take a lot of time).

I always wor
... See more
Hi,

I am sharing this rather large translation project with another translator which has led to various versions of the TM. I've just had to go and retrieve back up files from the omegat folder in order to retrieve translated segments from a month or so ago, which looked like it had done the trick but now my translated document won't open in Word (it opens in Wordpad, but with a completely different formating and putting it right would take a lot of time).

I always work with "remove tags" ticked as I find them disruptive.

I have tried:
- recreating a new project folder and copying the project.save file from the old one. This works, the segments appear translated, but I still can't open the translated document.
- opening the project.save file and copying the content accross to the new project. Same result.
- checking for tags. No error found.
- browsing the project.save file in Notepad to try and see if there was any broken tag. I can't see anything obvious, but then I'm no programmer AND it's an enormous file.

Any other ideas....? This is a 20.000 word document so I'm not too keen on translating it again....

Thanks!
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:30
English to French
+ ...
Not obvious Jan 18, 2018

Marionlam wrote:
I am sharing this rather large translation project with another translator which has led to various versions of the TM. I've just had to go and retrieve back up files from the omegat folder in order to retrieve translated segments from a month or so ago,

I don't understand why you had to do that.
Old translations do not disappear, they just become orphans.

which looked like it had done the trick but now my translated document won't open in Word (it opens in Wordpad, but with a completely different formating and putting it right would take a lot of time).

Which means before you changed translation memories, it worked fine?
Why not start from there (if there's only a few segments requiring an update)?

There's always a risk in using it.

I have tried:
- recreating a new project folder and copying the project.save file from the old one. This works, the segments appear translated, but I still can't open the translated document.
- opening the project.save file and copying the content accross to the new project. Same result.
- checking for tags. No error found.

What version of OmegaT are you using?

- browsing the project.save file in Notepad to try and see if there was any broken tag. I can't see anything obvious, but then I'm no programmer AND it's an enormous file.

Any other ideas....? This is a 20.000 word document so I'm not too keen on translating it again....

If starting again from the version that works fine doesn't help, you could send me the full project, zipped.

Didier

Marion Lambert-Nuding
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Jan 18, 2018

Thank you Didier.

I'm working from OmegaT 3.6.0_6, and the reason I've had to muck about with the TM is because, while the other translator and I were trying to share the tm via a network, the software just stopped showing me the translated segments (no idea why). I eventually discovered that I could reinstate the .bak files, so I moved the whole project to a local folder and picked up and old project.save file to work from.

If you're happy to take a look, that would
... See more
Thank you Didier.

I'm working from OmegaT 3.6.0_6, and the reason I've had to muck about with the TM is because, while the other translator and I were trying to share the tm via a network, the software just stopped showing me the translated segments (no idea why). I eventually discovered that I could reinstate the .bak files, so I moved the whole project to a local folder and picked up and old project.save file to work from.

If you're happy to take a look, that would be most helpful. How can I get it to you?

Marion
Collapse

Marion Lambert-Nuding
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Something else is not quite right Jan 18, 2018

OmegaT seems to get confused between the files.

I tried splitting the source file into 2 (hoping perhaps I could identify which part of the file was the problem). Yet when I open the file within the OmegaT project, it still shows me the entire text (how??).

Additionnally, the file name at the top is wrong, and when I ask it "Create Current Translated Document" the text at the bottom shows that it's working on yet another different file.

Help....!
Ma
... See more

I tried splitting the source file into 2 (hoping perhaps I could identify which part of the file was the problem). Yet when I open the file within the OmegaT project, it still shows me the entire text (how??).

Additionnally, the file name at the top is wrong, and when I ask it "Create Current Translated Document" the text at the bottom shows that it's working on yet another different file.

Help....!
Marion
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:30
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
This might be the reason Jan 18, 2018

This might be the reason of your problem. I really fail to understand what do you mean under disruptive here, but unless you clearly understand what you do (and you don’t, otherwise you would not ask this question), you should have tags on. I mean, working with tags off is OK, but after you have finished, turn them on and re-translate segments with tags as necessary. Read this tutorial.

I tried splitting the source file into 2 (hoping perhaps I could identify which part of the file was the problem).

It is almost useless with complex file structures such as Word. When you split a file, a problem thing may simply drop out.

Yet when I open the file within the OmegaT project, it still shows me the entire text (how??).

You are the only one to answer this question because you are the only one who has access to your files. Try asking something smarter.

the file name at the top is wrong

It can’t be wrong. Or right. It’s just the name of a particular file currently processed. OmegaT can’t do anything with file names, it just shows them.

[Edited at 2018-01-18 13:49 GMT]

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
OmegaT doesn't confuse files Jan 18, 2018

Marionlam wrote:

Because the document in the /source folder contains the entire text.

OmegaT is no magician.

If you see the text, it's there in the source document.

Didier

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
I have a ProZ profile Jan 18, 2018

Marionlam wrote:
If you're happy to take a look, that would be most helpful. How can I get it to you?

I have a ProZ profile.

You can contact me from there.

Didier

Marion Lambert-Nuding
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Misunderstanding... Jan 18, 2018

Didier Briel wrote:

Marionlam wrote:

OmegaT is no magician.

Didier

The text in the source folder is now split between Part 1 and Part 2, but opening Part 1 in OmegaT still shows me everything, including Part 2. Could something be "cached", somewhere?

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
No cache for source documents Jan 18, 2018

Marionlam wrote:

Didier Briel wrote:

Marionlam wrote:

OmegaT is no magician.

Didier

The text in the source folder is now split between Part 1 and Part 2, but opening Part 1 in OmegaT still shows me everything, including Part 2. Could something be "cached", somewhere?

There's no cache for source documents. Assuming you have reloaded the project, OmegaT can only show what is there. On the other hand, supposing the text is "hidden" in Word, OmegaT will still show it to you.

Didier

Marion Lambert-Nuding
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I wish I could send you a screen shot Jan 18, 2018

the file name at the top is wrong

It can’t be wrong. Or right. It’s just the name of a particular file currently processed. OmegaT can’t do anything with file names, it just shows them.

[Edited at 2018-01-18 13:49 GMT]

By "wrong", I mean:
Whilst I'm currently working on a file which I know is called, say, B.docx in the source folder, the file name displayed at the top is, say, C.docx (which would be another file, also saved in the source folder), but the text displayed in the main OmegaT window is definitely from B.docx.
Additionnally, if I click on menu/translate current document, the file name displayed at the bottom is, say, D.docx (and it takes forever to process).

You can't make this stuff up

This might be the reason of your problem. I really fail to understand what do you mean under disruptive here, but unless you clearly understand what you do (and you don’t, otherwise you would not ask this question), you should have tags on. I mean, working with tags off is OK, but after you have finished, turn them on and re-translate segments with tags as necessary.

By "disruptive" I mean that I find it takes a lot of time to rearrange the tags around the target sentence, especially when one is changing the order of the words for a better fit the target language. So I chose to lose the tags and re-format the final target file if needed. I can proofread at the same time, too. As for turning the tags back on then re-translating it all, it sounds more time-consuming that it's worth to me...
That said, I did try and turn them back on before re-generating the target file, and it made no difference in this case.

I have a ProZ profile.

Didier

There is no email address on there, so I can't send you a .zip file.... Can I?

Thanks for your help
Marion

[Edited at 2018-01-18 15:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-01-18 15:21 GMT]

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
Use the contact form Jan 18, 2018

Marionlam wrote:

I have a ProZ profile.

Didier

There is no email address on there, so I can't send you a .zip file.... Can I?

You can use the contact form.

I'll then reply, and you will have my email address.

Didier

Marion Lambert-Nuding
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci Didier Jan 18, 2018

Merci,

J'en déduis que le problème vient principalement d'un document source corrompu puisqu'il ne semble pas se représenter avec d'autres docs. J'ai réussi à ouvrir le document "cible" sous Wordpad (ce qui présente un problème de formattage pas très sympa, mais c'est mieux que rien).

Je vais également réinstaller OmegaT avant de vous faire perdre votre temps.

Je prendrai contact si le problem se représente.

Merci encore.
Marion

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
It's up to you Jan 18, 2018

Marionlam wrote:
J'en déduis que le problème vient principalement d'un document source corrompu puisqu'il ne semble pas se représenter avec d'autres docs.

Pas nécessairement.

Lorsqu'on travaille sans les balises, il peut arriver (rarement) qu'un problème se pose pour certains documents.

J'ai réussi à ouvrir le document "cible" sous Wordpad (ce qui présente un problème de formattage pas très sympa, mais c'est mieux que rien).

Dans Word, vous n'avez pas une option pour « réparer » le document ?
Vous pourriez également essayer de l'ouvrir dans LibreOffice.

Je vais également réinstaller OmegaT avant de vous faire perdre votre temps.

OmegaT fait partie des applications pour lesquelles il ne sert généralement à rien de réinstaller le programme (il n'y a rien qui se corromprait mystérieusement).

Je prendrai contact si le problem se représente.

Comme vous le souhaitez.

I still recommend (as always) to subscribe to the Yahoo group. You can write in French, and I'm not the only one who can help.

Didier

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:30
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Comments Jan 18, 2018

Whilst I'm currently working on a file which I know is called, say, B.docx in the source folder, the file name displayed at the top is, say, C.docx

That is not possible. Just not possible. As Didier mentioned, there may be some hidden text in the document.

I did try and turn them back on before re-generating the target file, and it made no difference in this case.

No, it is not enough to simply turn on, you have to re-translate affected segments (and accordingly reproduce tags in translations).

As suggested by Didier, open the file in LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice. And I would try to open the source file in LO/AOO, save it as ODT and translate. Another trick: open the file in Word, save it as DOC, then save it back to DOCX. Note that in the both cases losses of formatting and, especially, problems with embedded objects are possible.

And no, don’t reinstall OmegaT, it won’t solve any problem related to a particular document (and generally it won’t solve any problem at all).

You can write in French

Yes, unlike here, where any language except for English is a violation of the rules.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Translated file won't open in Word

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »