Thread poster: DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 14, 2016

Dear colleagues--

Recently I wanted to explain a friend of mine how to work with a CAT, so I chose a free latest stable version, which ran fine, but couldn't see the source--neither doc, nor txt.
I did also try OmegaT 4.0.1 beta too--the result was the same; can't see.
Moving/Changing project dir location didn't help either; MediaWiki seem to work.
No Cyrillic chars, no difference.

Hardware: Core-i5/4GB RAM/1TB+ HDD
Software: Win 8.1 x32 RU (6.3.
... See more
Dear colleagues--

Recently I wanted to explain a friend of mine how to work with a CAT, so I chose a free latest stable version, which ran fine, but couldn't see the source--neither doc, nor txt.
I did also try OmegaT 4.0.1 beta too--the result was the same; can't see.
Moving/Changing project dir location didn't help either; MediaWiki seem to work.
No Cyrillic chars, no difference.

Hardware: Core-i5/4GB RAM/1TB+ HDD
Software: Win 8.1 x32 RU (6.3.9600)

TY
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:17
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
And… Nov 15, 2016

…what is the source file format?

See the list of supported formats:
http://omegat.sourceforge.net/manual-standard/en/chapter.files.to.translate.html#file.formats

For plain-text files, you might need to adjust file filter settings (in particular, input/output enc
... See more
…what is the source file format?

See the list of supported formats:
http://omegat.sourceforge.net/manual-standard/en/chapter.files.to.translate.html#file.formats

For plain-text files, you might need to adjust file filter settings (in particular, input/output encoding):
http://omegat.sourceforge.net/manual-standard/en/chapter.file.filters.html
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Format Nov 15, 2016

Thank you, esperantisto.

As I've mentioned, I tried proper .DOC (Word'2003) and plaint txt--both via drag'n'drop and moving file to my project--it shoes zeroes.

I did disable sandboxing, yet it seems to have something to do with Java virtualization, for after uninstalling, cleaning via CCleaner I saw a corrected path as ...Virtual... something.

Disabling antivirus doesn't help, Hyper-V is disabled, VirtualBox is uninstalled and cleaned up.
Wrong way
... See more
Thank you, esperantisto.

As I've mentioned, I tried proper .DOC (Word'2003) and plaint txt--both via drag'n'drop and moving file to my project--it shoes zeroes.

I did disable sandboxing, yet it seems to have something to do with Java virtualization, for after uninstalling, cleaning via CCleaner I saw a corrected path as ...Virtual... something.

Disabling antivirus doesn't help, Hyper-V is disabled, VirtualBox is uninstalled and cleaned up.
Wrong way?
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:17
English to French
+ ...
Legacy Word documents are not supported Nov 15, 2016

DZiW wrote:
As I've mentioned, I tried proper .DOC (Word'2003)

Legacy Word documents are not supported, and thus not "proper" for OmegaT, which supports .docx.

and plaint txt--both via drag'n'drop and moving file to my project--it shoes zeroes.

You wrote that MediaWiki works. Actually, MediaWiki pages are downloaded as .txt files, so that means it works.

Wrong way?

Why use VirtualBox, since OmegaT works on nearly all platforms?

Didier

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oops... Nov 15, 2016

Thank you, Didier.

> Legacy Word documents are not supported, and thus not "proper" for OmegaT, which supports .docx
Oh my! Indeed, it's been awhile since I used OmegaT, but it's a-la epic fail: xml-powered files only.
Yet it still doesn't work for plain txt either.

>Why use VirtualBox, since OmegaT works on nearly all platforms?
VMWare and Vbox were meant for other things, not java-based OmegaT, but when I saw a 'virtual' keyword, I unin
... See more
Thank you, Didier.

> Legacy Word documents are not supported, and thus not "proper" for OmegaT, which supports .docx
Oh my! Indeed, it's been awhile since I used OmegaT, but it's a-la epic fail: xml-powered files only.
Yet it still doesn't work for plain txt either.

>Why use VirtualBox, since OmegaT works on nearly all platforms?
VMWare and Vbox were meant for other things, not java-based OmegaT, but when I saw a 'virtual' keyword, I uninstalled and cleaned up possible issues to make sure.

Some guru advised checking file properties and access rights, will check it at home.

TY
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, pals! Nov 15, 2016

OmegaT 3.6.0_4 works fine with an offline docX, just had some issues with downloaded (locked) files, but that's ok.

Take care)

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT can't see docs

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »