Thread poster: Martin Purdy
Martin Purdy
Martin Purdy
Local time: 00:36
Dutch to English
+ ...
Feb 11, 2021

Hello everyone,

Struggling a little with PlusTools in Word 2019 - I can't seem to get the little toolbar that you use to manipulate the alignment table (insert cell, merge cells, etc.). The rest of the alignment process works fine, but the loss of this toolbar is slowing the process down quite a lot.

Any guidance welcome. I've recently updated both Word and Wordfast (from v. 5.52 to v. 8.33) so I have a bit of the "shock of the new" to overcome in both cases...
See more
Hello everyone,

Struggling a little with PlusTools in Word 2019 - I can't seem to get the little toolbar that you use to manipulate the alignment table (insert cell, merge cells, etc.). The rest of the alignment process works fine, but the loss of this toolbar is slowing the process down quite a lot.

Any guidance welcome. I've recently updated both Word and Wordfast (from v. 5.52 to v. 8.33) so I have a bit of the "shock of the new" to overcome in both cases
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:36
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Down the toilet Feb 11, 2021

Martin Purdy wrote:

Hello everyone,

Any guidance welcome. I've recently updated both Word and Wordfast (from v. 5.52 to v. 8.33) so I have a bit of the "shock of the new" to overcome in both cases

MS Word has been getting worse and worse since Word 2008 - the last version that was able to find/replace in multiple files. I find that so important for my work that I am still using the last version of MacOS that can run Word 2008 (El Capitan). I used it recently to find/replace one particular word in 30 different files.

Every version of Word since 2008 has been a step back that has added nothing to the functionality of Word and has made it more difficult to use - for example in Word 2018 you can't double click anywhere on the title bar to minimise the application window; you have to find one particular spot.

I hate Microsoft.

[Edited at 2021-02-11 17:49 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Martin Feb 11, 2021

Martin Purdy wrote:

I don't use the toolbar buttons at all. I just use the shortcut keys:
Insert: Alt+I
Delete: Alt+D
Merge: Alt+M
Split: Alt+S

In my Word 365, there is an extra tab called "Add-Ins", and the PlusTools toolbar is there.

One thing I do find annoying about Word 365 (as opposed to Word 2003) is that table borders are invisible, so when using PlusTools in Word 365, I always change the table borders of the aligned table.

Martin Purdy
Martin Purdy
Local time: 00:36
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Shortcuts Feb 11, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

I don't use the toolbar buttons at all. I just use the shortcut keys:
Insert: Alt+I
Delete: Alt+D
Merge: Alt+M
Split: Alt+S

Thanks - I'll try these. I initially tried the Word table shortcut Alt+A, I, but Alt-A brought up a different Plustools function, so I wound up having to use the menu bar tools instead.

Btw, not sure why the moderators moved this topic from Wordfast to Office Applications - I'd have thought it far more relevant to Wordfast users, which was why I posted there in the first place. Word users who have no dealings with Wordfast will probably have no idea what Plustools even is.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:36
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Word 2019 Feb 13, 2021

I've been using Word 2019 for about 6 months now.

My initial reaction is that it is quite good compared to Word 2007. I'm still getting used to the new Find function but I am starting to see its logic.

The reason I updated was that I was having problems using my newly installed Wordfast Pro 5 and wanted to have everything in its latest version.

Jo Macdonald

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Plustools toolbar and Word 2019

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »