Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 13, 2019

I started a 30+MB translation with lots of photos and non-editable text. Exited OK and everything fine, but when I open it again it comes up in Read-only mode, and to get anywhere I have to keep changing the file name. So there's a workaround and I have all month to do this one so not urgent, but it's annoying.

I've looked around and nothing seems to help - it doesn't show up in that mode in Properties, I've rebooted, it's not happening with any other files, OneDrive isn't full, whi
... See more
I started a 30+MB translation with lots of photos and non-editable text. Exited OK and everything fine, but when I open it again it comes up in Read-only mode, and to get anywhere I have to keep changing the file name. So there's a workaround and I have all month to do this one so not urgent, but it's annoying.

I've looked around and nothing seems to help - it doesn't show up in that mode in Properties, I've rebooted, it's not happening with any other files, OneDrive isn't full, which I read was one possible reason. Has anyone found the same thing, and what the hell do you do? For all I know, my customer may have the same trouble, but maybe they just haven't looked, but I won't be able to ask until Monday.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:58
Danish to English
+ ...
Trust Center Apr 13, 2019

Have you disabled Protected View under Options > Trust Center?

These are the changes I've made in Word 2019, but I think it's much the same in Word 2010:

Word: Trust Center - Trust Center Settings - Trusted locations - Add new location - C:\Users\thomas\Documents\(my doc root folder) - Subfolders also trusted
Word: Trust Center - Trust Center Settings - Protected view - Disabled for all locations

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Er ... Apr 13, 2019

Thanks, Thomas - I tried that C:/ ... path, but it comes to a dead-end after "Mervyn" ...

Meanwhile, I now notice - but didn't notice at the beginning of it all - that the original Word file does indeed open saying "Opening in protected view". I assume this must have been done by the customer (?). If that's correct, then it wasn't very thoughtful of her not mentioning it. However, if it's a security thing, presumably there's nothing I can do about it without their assistance.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Path Apr 13, 2019

You obviously need a path that matches your own setup for where you keep your files.

'Disabled for all locations' should also solve the problem alone.

The problem is that Microsoft want to nanny you and protect you from all the nastiness on the Internet, so they consider all files received through the Internet potentially toxic and set them to protected view. This isn't particularly useful when you work a lot with files sent by email.

Hence the need to disa
... See more
You obviously need a path that matches your own setup for where you keep your files.

'Disabled for all locations' should also solve the problem alone.

The problem is that Microsoft want to nanny you and protect you from all the nastiness on the Internet, so they consider all files received through the Internet potentially toxic and set them to protected view. This isn't particularly useful when you work a lot with files sent by email.

Hence the need to disable protected view.
Collapse

Dan Lucas

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Apr 13, 2019

I've been in the trust centre, unchecked the three protected view boxes, but it still comes up as (Read-only).

Probably have to consult the customer ... thanks again!

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 14:58
Chinese to English
+ ...
Save as Apr 13, 2019

This may sound obvious, but does "Save as..." to a different location (preferably not on C:) change anything?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lottery Apr 13, 2019

Hi Lincoln,

Thanks a lot! I created a new folder and copied it in there (I have all my texts in my D-disk, not C, which is just for programme stuff). I was about to post here saying Eureka!, because it came up as normal, hooray. Then I closed it. Then I opened it again, and it came up as read-only. Fume. Then I closed it. Then I opened it again, and it came up as normal. Great. Then I closed it. Then I opened it again, and it came up as read-only. Then I banged my head on the desk.<
... See more
Hi Lincoln,

Thanks a lot! I created a new folder and copied it in there (I have all my texts in my D-disk, not C, which is just for programme stuff). I was about to post here saying Eureka!, because it came up as normal, hooray. Then I closed it. Then I opened it again, and it came up as read-only. Fume. Then I closed it. Then I opened it again, and it came up as normal. Great. Then I closed it. Then I opened it again, and it came up as read-only. Then I banged my head on the desk.

Like I said before, it doesn't prevent me from working, but it's annoying.

[Edited at 2019-04-13 15:06 GMT]
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 14:58
Chinese to English
+ ...
Let's try something Apr 13, 2019

Take the file in question, delete everything in it and rename it for obvious reasons, and send it to my email (published in my CV). Let's see if I can reproduce it.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Later Apr 13, 2019

Thanks. I’ll do that at some point, but not at the office just now. Sounds exciting.

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Try this Apr 13, 2019

I once had this kind of insoluble problem with the usual techniques. I followed this demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI2ZxGPSbck

it worked for me with MS Word 2016.

Hope this helps!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Blame MS Apr 13, 2019

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Thanks, Thomas - I tried that C:/ ... path, but it comes to a dead-end after "Mervyn" ...

Meanwhile, I now notice - but didn't notice at the beginning of it all - that the original Word file does indeed open saying "Opening in protected view". I assume this must have been done by the customer (?).....

I think Word just does that off its own bat. Like many Word features, I find it useless and really annoying. I hate Outlook and avoid it like the plague, ditto OneDrive and Cortana. Nein danke.

[Edited at 2019-04-13 17:34 GMT]

Kevin Fulton

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wait and see Apr 14, 2019

Thanks to all. Adrien, it wasn't a password issue, though. I watched the video - pretty complicated, but he got there in the end.

Still tootling along, changing the name every so often. Last time I opened it again, it was normal, but I'm expecting a read-only next time. As long as I know what's coming, I can live with that, even if the customer says it's nothing to do with her and I have to do all 32K with that workaround.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Trust Center Apr 14, 2019

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Have you disabled Protected View under Options > Trust Center?

These are the changes I've made in Word 2019, but I think it's much the same in Word 2010:

Word: Trust Center - Trust Center Settings - Trusted locations - Add new location - C:\Users\thomas\Documents\(my doc root folder) - Subfolders also trusted
Word: Trust Center - Trust Center Settings - Protected view - Disabled for all locations

You never told us if you got the Trust Center settings done correctly for the locations where you store your files. If this isn't done correctly then a 'trust' issue is unlikely to be solved any other way.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did Apr 14, 2019

Thomas,
Above I said I had been in the trust centre, but no joy.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
'Been in the Trust Center' Apr 14, 2019

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Thomas,
Above I said I had been in the trust centre, but no joy.

'Been in the Trust Center' is not sufficient. The settings have to be completed correctly. It's unclear if you did that.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Read-only mode in Word 2010 won't go away

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »