Off topic: Book burning...
Thread poster: Trevor Butcher
Trevor Butcher
Trevor Butcher
Local time: 14:40
English
TOPIC STARTER
Book crossing Sep 13, 2006

I like the idea of sending off my unwanted books on travels, forming a kind of fluid cyber-library. It can also pay sometimes - my friend accidently left a 200 zloty note in one book he donated to a library.

But keeping them... All the time that you hang onto books it is stopping other people from reading them, but I supppose that it also keeps printing houses going too since those other people have to buy new copies of books that we are just sitting on. At least by letting them go
... See more
I like the idea of sending off my unwanted books on travels, forming a kind of fluid cyber-library. It can also pay sometimes - my friend accidently left a 200 zloty note in one book he donated to a library.

But keeping them... All the time that you hang onto books it is stopping other people from reading them, but I supppose that it also keeps printing houses going too since those other people have to buy new copies of books that we are just sitting on. At least by letting them go I worry less about losing them through storm or theft.

Trevor
Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:40
French to English
+ ...
bookcrossing Sep 13, 2006

There's an active bookcrossing community (www.bookcrossing.com) in my local area, and we have got round Rafa's fear of the books being thrown away by setting up 'bookcrossing zones' in local public places. A local wine bar has a constantly-changing shelf of free books, and a couple more locations around the city take books as well.

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:40
German to English
Don't burn Sep 13, 2006

Trevor,

It's a problem most of us face - frequently - to be sure. But you weren't seriously considering burning them, were you? I don't have to tell you that only Nazis and other subhumans actually *burn* books...

You've had plenty of good uggestions of what to do with redundant books, and I have to admit that there comes a time when you look at your bookshelves and say to yourself "time to make some space". And of course, there are things you simply grow out of. I supp
... See more
Trevor,

It's a problem most of us face - frequently - to be sure. But you weren't seriously considering burning them, were you? I don't have to tell you that only Nazis and other subhumans actually *burn* books...

You've had plenty of good uggestions of what to do with redundant books, and I have to admit that there comes a time when you look at your bookshelves and say to yourself "time to make some space". And of course, there are things you simply grow out of. I suppose the last resort if you can't give them away (hospitals? hospices?) is to dump them in the recycling bin, but I don't know how far advanced paper recycling is in Poland.

I tend to keep copies of older dictionary editions (if they're any good) and other reference works because they contain terms that don't appear in newer editions and you never know when you'll get a text containing references to what is now modern history.

Some people seem to get all worked up about even recycling books for paper, although at least it's environmentally responsible. But burning books has connotations that make me, at least, shudder.

Robin
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:40
German to English
+ ...
The worst thing... Sep 13, 2006

... is all those manuals for computer software. Software I paid hundreds of Deutschmarks for, ten or fifteen years ago. The diskettes and manuals are worthless now: far better programs can be downloaded for free (open-source) off the Internet.

But it's hard to throw them away, somehow.

Marc

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 21:40
Chinese to English
+ ...
Recycle Feb 18, 2021

Recycling as paper is better than burning.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
STOP THIS PLEASE Feb 18, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Lincoln- please stop resuscitating ancient threads. Haven't you got any work to do?

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 21:40
Chinese to English
+ ...
What's the problem? Feb 18, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Lincoln- please stop resuscitating ancient threads. Haven't you got any work to do?

What difference does it make how long ago it was posted?

If you're not interested in them yourself, just leave them. They're not bothering you.

[Edited at 2021-02-18 13:23 GMT]

Daryo

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Keep Up The Good Work Feb 18, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:

These threads are not "dead" so they can't be "resuscitated"

They are just "in hibernation" - what's wrong with waking them up?

I find it disturbing that anyone would want to harm hibernating threads ...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Book burning...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »